SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 20 August 2016, 21:51
Squelch

Really few reasons not to build your own PC unless you want a laptop.
Building a desktop PC is easy even for nubs.
Old 20 August 2016, 23:02
Nec Aspera Terrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCross View Post
Heard nothing but thumbs down for Alienware in the last few years myself.

Star Citizen? SOCnetters playing that game? I might break from Counter-Strike...
I have mulled over buying Star Citizen since 2013.

At first I wondered what the odds are of the game not becoming vapourware. But when that nerdgasm of money came flowing into Chris Roberts' hands via Kickstarter - well... I mean 50 million USD, (in August 2014 - now over 118 million) fuck me sideways and call me Francis - that was either going to be the biggest gamer scam in history, or a legit AAA+ game title.

If other dudes and chicks on here are playing this game, I'd buy it for sure. A somewhat decent fighter as your starting ship or an armed light cargo hauler doesn't seem too bad for a $45 price tag.

The vast scale, tons of worlds, ground combat, trading... And whoa... the graphics... *drool*

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 21 August 2016, 07:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
I have mulled over buying Star Citizen since 2013.

At first I wondered what the odds are of the game not becoming vapourware. But when that nerdgasm of money came flowing into Chris Roberts' hands via Kickstarter - well... I mean 50 million USD, (in August 2014 - now over 118 million) fuck me sideways and call me Francis - that was either going to be the biggest gamer scam in history, or a legit AAA+ game title.

If other dudes and chicks on here are playing this game, I'd buy it for sure. A somewhat decent fighter as your starting ship or an armed light cargo hauler doesn't seem too bad for a $45 price tag.

The vast scale, tons of worlds, ground combat, trading... And whoa... the graphics... *drool*
Never heard of it. A competitor to "No Man's Sky"? I would get that one if they had it on Xbox One.

I have been running the same computer since 2007, so haven't played a PC game in ages. When I upgrade though, it's game on.

There is also apparently a really good game called Prison Simulator.
Old 21 August 2016, 11:51
Nec Aspera Terrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Never heard of it. A competitor to "No Man's Sky"? I would get that one if they had it on Xbox One.

I have been running the same computer since 2007, so haven't played a PC game in ages. When I upgrade though, it's game on.

In a way yes, but also no. I think it may be the other way around, since Star citizen has been a publicly-anounced and funded game since 2013.

No Man's Sky is a procedurally-created space simulator that fits a pretty niche interest range. It's more about exploration and crafting/survival and the characters you do interact will overwhelmingly be AI/NPC's.

It is supposed to have something like 18 quintillion planets, or basically be an actual simulation of a real universe. Sounds impressive, but for now the game looks and feels like a work in progress - the reception so far tends to be really positive or really negative from owners. With additional updates, it'll probably become a more fulfilling game, but now one major complaint is the universe is so sparse and repetitive.

Star Citizen on the other hand is sort of a spiritual successor to Wing commander (Chris Roberts is at the helm of both franchises) with pre-made planets and is a game that is meant to be a cutting-edge super-detailed simulator, and like NMS, you can do pretty much whatever the hell you feel like.

Join the United Earth empire as a fighter pilot... Explore as a scientist, do trading, or be the biggest troll you can be and just fuck with anyone and anything for jollies in your space fighter, robbing people blind at every turn or a mix...

At launch, SC will have about a hundred star systems and something like 500 planets of various types. All of these are fully rendered, and like NMS you can explore or spend literally two days walking 200 miles across some 3000 mile planet. difference with NMS is in SC, each planet will be hand-made, whereas you will never explore more than maybe 99.5% of what is in NMS due to it's scale.

In the end, NMS takes-up about 5gb of HD space. SC needs around 150-200gb and it's still being worked on, being an open alpha build. And SC has a production staff of about 400 - NMS had 15 or so.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

As for the prison game, you might mean Prison Architect, on Steam? Heard it's great, and looks fun.

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 21 August 2016, 16:06
Confirmed User

Quote:

It's not bad if you like building and management sims.
Mod support is pretty good.
Refugee Center mod
WWII POW Camp mod
WWII....um.... Work Camp mod
Old 21 August 2016, 20:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnageWhiskey View Post
It's not bad if you like building and management sims.
Mod support is pretty good.
Refugee Center mod
WWII POW Camp mod
WWII....um.... Work Camp mod
"Work Camp mod"? You've got to be shitting me.

So, on a lark, I search for it on XBox. Turns out the Prison Sim is on there now, so I download the free trial. My 9 year old daughter is like "Daddy, can I watvh you play?", and I'm like "Sure. this will probably just be a banal game like The Sims, only in prison."

So, I'm building an execution chamber for a guy on death row...pretty bureaucratic and all, not much to see. Then the game cuts to a slide show showing why the guy was on death row...you see a little figure walking into his house...and then cartoon scenes of his big titty wife getting railed by some huge dude, and the little guy taking out a gun and blasting both of them in the face. I'm yelling at my daughter "Don't look!" and trying to kill the screen, but fortunately she got her head under a pillow before seeing it. So there's that.
Old 22 August 2016, 01:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Not sure if there is a Xbox version.

https://steamcommunity(DOT)com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=716587141
Old 22 August 2016, 01:41
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Old 22 August 2016, 01:51
Confirmed User

If one is looking to get back into some video games The Witcher 3 and The Last of us should not be missed.
Old 22 August 2016, 06:44
justauser

Quote:

So, on a lark, I search for it on XBox. Turns out the Prison Sim is on there now, so I download the free trial. My 9 year old daughter is like "Daddy, can I watvh you play?", and I'm like "Sure. this will probably just be a banal game like The Sims, only in prison."

So, I'm building an execution chamber for a guy on death row...pretty bureaucratic and all, not much to see. Then the game cuts to a slide show showing why the guy was on death row...you see a little figure walking into his house...and then cartoon scenes of his big titty wife getting railed by some huge dude, and the little guy taking out a gun and blasting both of them in the face. I'm yelling at my daughter "Don't look!" and trying to kill the screen, but fortunately she got her head under a pillow before seeing it. So there's that.
Is this a real story? My sarcasm meter was damaged tonight, so I can't tell. This sounds like the best worst game ever!
Old 22 August 2016, 20:12
Confirmed User

Quote:

This really impressive Gamescom video shows you what Star Citizen is all about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l-epO6oUHE
Old 22 August 2016, 20:18
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:

So it's like Leisure Suit Larry, snuff edition 2016? S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 22 August 2016, 20:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
So it's like Leisure Suit Larry, snuff edition 2016? S/F....Ken M
I remember when that game was considered super taboo as a kid, when it was really just a cartoon dickhead in a leisure suit leering at breasts.
Old 22 August 2016, 21:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnageWhiskey View Post
Not sure if there is a Xbox version.

https://steamcommunity(DOT)com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=716587141
Mate that's farked up...

2 man and 1 woman is flying towards gay mountain with no visibility at high speed - Johan
Old 23 August 2016, 02:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
Is this a real story? My sarcasm meter was damaged tonight, so I can't tell. This sounds like the best worst game ever!
Yea, unfortunately its real.
Old 4 October 2016, 09:15
Freelancer

Been playing it and getting into it. I do hate the turn based aspect but it does make me think before I move. The shaken factor can be a PITA on missions as Soldiers will panic easier.

I do find using snipers on overwatch helps. Sucks when you lose a experienced Soldier. I did manage to demo an Alien facility with a squad of boots.

Our new posting rules