SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 October 2013, 07:32
Authorized Personnel

RIP. Never forget
Old 13 October 2013, 11:34
Calix Meus Inebrians

I was in Basic Training when the Cole was attacked. I remember having Jimmy Dean’s instead of MRE’s at training sites for a few days and the rumor was that our MRE’s were being shipped to the Middle East for operations related to the bombing. One guy in my platoon asked if we were going to war over it. My Drill Sergeant replied “They attacked one of our warships, Private. We’re going to do something to strike back.” To my chagrin, we never responded to the attack.

I hope time has brought healing to the families of those lost that day. Never forget their sacrifice.
Old 13 October 2013, 11:43
On the Extract Bird

RIP Warriors. We have never forgotten you or let you down. Justice!
Old 12 October 2014, 20:18
Been There Done That

Late but not forgotten. 14 years ago today...RIP Sailors.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 12 October 2014, 21:00
33,024 - R.I.P.

I was honored to received this coin from one of the fathers of the fallen sailors; EN2 Marco Nieto (last on the list). RIP Shipmates.

Old 12 October 2014, 21:04
On the Extract Bird

Lest we forget....
Old 12 October 2014, 21:17
Confirmed User

RIP Shipmates
Old 12 October 2014, 22:33
Isiah 52:13-53:12

Rest in Peace Shipmates

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.” -Francis Bacon
Old 13 October 2014, 11:12
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

That was a horrible day for our Shipmates and for our Country as well. I'm amazed at how fast and how hard those Sailors worked to secure that ship. It was incredible to see it out there with a huge hole in her side not listing.

Fair Winds and following seas Shipmates, you will NEVER be forgotten.
Old 13 October 2014, 22:39
Confirmed User

May they all rest peacefully in the Kingdom of God.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
Old 14 October 2014, 13:52
Confirmed User

RIP. I see the former captain of the USS Cole on Fox News giving commentary.
Old 14 October 2014, 13:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockville View Post
RIP. I see the former captain of the USS Cole on Fox News giving commentary.
I don't want to make a thread honoring the sailors into a negative commentary. However, the fact he still had his job after that, when Capts lose their command in the Navy for hitting a buoy etc, is beyond me...

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 14 October 2014, 15:17
Confirmed User

I was deployed with VFA-81 on the USS Washington when the Cole was attacked. We were in the eastern Med and the Cole and left our battle group to transit the Suez to move east.

Oct 12th is my birthday and that year was my 30th so I bought a phone card to call my wife (we were just married in June that year). As I learned when I called that the rumor mill was already working in over drive by time I called and everyone in Va Beach was trying to figure out which ship was attacked.

Her telling me about it was the first I heard and I was surprised that our outgoing comms still worked. I promptly said goodbye after letting her know I was well and we went back to work...

It was a pretty freaky day in a pre-911 world, especially with the embassy bombings not forgotten.

RIP shipmates. Never forgotten.

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 14 October 2014 at 15:39.
Old 14 October 2014, 15:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltwtr1 View Post
I don't want to make a thread honoring the sailors into a negative commentary. However, the fact he still had his job after that, when Capts lose their command in the Navy for hitting a buoy etc, is beyond me...

Sltwtr1

OUT
X 1,000
Old 14 October 2014, 15:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltwtr1 View Post

Sltwtr1

OUT
It was a very different era and the ship was attacked. It's easy with hindsight in a post 9-11 view to ask that question.

I don't think that firing a CO for the more minor events that get them fired now is a good thing nor do I think that it was necessary to fire CDR Lippold.

From what I remember, the investigation concluded that the attack could not have been prevented.

The current climate of firing COs every minor tresspass of the crew is very detrimental to moral and the ability to establish leadership and crew cohesion.

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 14 October 2014 at 15:55.
Old 14 October 2014, 16:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
It was a very different era and the ship was attacked. It's easy with hindsight in a post 9-11 view to ask that question.

I don't think that firing a CO for the more minor events that get them fired now is a good thing nor do I think that it was necessary to fire CDR Lippold.

From what I remember, the investigation concluded that the attack could not have been prevented.
You are correct that the investigation did not hold the Capt accountable.

However, the Capt/ship submitted a FP plan to their command.

They did not execute the FP plan and didn't ask for an exemption or revision to the plan.

Yes, whether executing their plan would have prevented the attack is questionable..

However, they did not follow the plan they submitted and that was approved.

The result was that the attack was successful and 17 sailors died. Pre or post 9/11, that is unacceptable.

AQ tried to attack the USS Sullivan before the Cole. They overloaded their boat with to many explosives and it sank.

The Cole did NOT deploy a picket boat as was specified in their FP plan. They pulled up to the fuel boom in the middle of the harbor on the same side as their picket boat and couldn't deploy it.

The Cole was as they say, the easy target vice a hardened target.

If a picket boat was deployed, the terrorists might have had to detonate their explosives earlier, resulting in the loss of only the picket boat and crew/if that. Or, they would have been spooked or been detected and the attack prevented.

A bunch of other things they didn't do also... I believe their .50 cals were not in a firing condition, ie, the ammo was not loaded.

Pre 9/11 there was def intell of threats/previous attack to US assets..

The Capt blamed a confusion on the procedures intel/understanding of OP/ords FP levels/terms when he chopped from 6th fleet to 5th fleet. He also blamed the fuel boom.

The way it works.. A ship makes an FP plan for going into a harbor/port etc.. That plan is approved or modified based on the current threat intel and available assets/capabilities to prevent an attack.

If you can not follow the plan, you need to request for a deviation from HQ..

The Capt, did not follow, the approved FP plan, nor did they request a deviation and receive an approval prior to the attack.

Therefore, regardless IF the plan would have prevented the attack, The Capt. should have been held accountable and relieved of duty.

In that case, there was politics and the Navy trying to save their ass. Exposing the Capt and the Navy´s general malaise attitude with regards to security, would have made everyone look bad.

It was typical up the 9/11 for the gate guards at Norfolk not to have loaded and chambered weapons, same things with many HMG .50 cals etc on the ships.

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer

Last edited by Sltwtr1; 14 October 2014 at 16:27.
Old 14 October 2014, 16:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
It was typical up the 9/11 for the gate guards at Norfolk not to have loaded and chambered weapons, same things with many HMG .50 cals etc on the ships.
Remember the open base policies of the mid to late 90s? No guards until the piers or flight lines?

Thanks for the detailed information that I did not know. I only remember the conclusion of the investigation.
Old 14 October 2014, 16:40
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Remember the open base policies of the mid to late 90s? No guards until the piers or flight lines?

Thanks for the detailed information that I did not know. I only remember the conclusion of the investigation.
Its not your fault you didnt know that... They did a nice PR job to try and make it look like they couldn't have known/do anything to prevent it.

The Navy through the 90s and mid 2000s was like the intelligence communties and relied on too much high-tech shit.

Gone were the days of the Naval infrantry where ships personal were in general familar and profiecient with small arms.

The Navy apart from NSW had turned into a bunch of button pushers.

After 9/11 the Navy got a rude awakening and realized they needed to get back to sailors who could use/respond with, were proficient in small arms and crew served weapons etc.. or could be trusted to have a loaded and ready weapon...

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 14 October 2014, 17:17
Been There Done That

meh, the same vetting process that relieves folks for hitting buoys or having zipper control issues pre or post 9/!! investigated CDR Luppold and found his actions appropriate. One doesn't always get one's choice about where one pulls in and which side to. No matter what, the ROE at the time wouldn't have allowed him to take any action anyway.

Naval Infantry? We call them Marines. Otherwise not so much, even today.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 14 October 2014, 17:54
Confirmed User

Fair winds and following seas to the fallen. You are not forgotten. May you rest peacefully in the Kingdom of God.

Our new posting rules