SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 3 August 2016, 22:36
Anesthetized User

400 Mil. To Iran

I do not pretend to understand all of the intracacies of Iran and how we got to where we are with them. I was 10 in the late 70's. As reported in the WSJ, the money was for a failed arms deal in 1979 if I read it right. Why would we care about about any alleged debt to that country and fund terrorism. And this was an installment with a ultimate total of 1.7 Bil.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-sent...eed-1470181874

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 3 August 2016, 22:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
I do not pretend to understand all of the intracacies of Iran and how we got to where we are with them. I was 10 in the late 70's. As reported in the WSJ, the money was for a failed arms deal in 1979 if I read it right. Why would we care about about any alleged debt to that country and fund terrorism. And this was an installment with a ultimate total of 1.7 Bil.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-sent...eed-1470181874
Sounds like "reparations" for a perceived wrong from many years ago. Not a good precedent to be setting.
Old 3 August 2016, 22:55
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
Sounds like "reparations" for a perceived wrong from many years ago. Not a good precedent to be setting.
Maybe reparations for the effects on Iranian troops of all the chemical weapons we sold the Iraqis to use on them?

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 3 August 2016, 23:00
Deplorable

In cash.

Hard foreign currency.

[Brought to you by ... The Obama Administration.]

That's Hillary Clinton & John Kerry's [DoS] Diplomatic Foreign Policy.

[Who also btw brought forward the Putin Reset Button.]

In a world gone mad.
Old 4 August 2016, 00:35
BT,WBTWC

On or about 1970 the government of Iran sent money to the US to buy military equipment.
Then the revolution came, the Iranians seized our embassy, Jimmy "The Dickless One" Carter did nothing, eventually Ronald Reagan was elected president and immediately the Iranians released all the Americans.

The Ayatollah demands the military equipment, Ronald Reagan tells them to pound sand (they have plenty of it to pound). And so it sits for years, with the Iranians demanding their money back, and the United States demanding compensation for the Embassy real estate and the kidnapping of the staff.

Over the years the claims of the Iranians climb, due to "interest," with the total exceeding 1.3 Billion dollars.

Fast forward. Barack "The Dickless One" Obama is trying to press his Iranian treaty. So using the magical financial sleight of hand that only a true Washington insider would appreciate, he "compromises and settles" with Iran for $400 Million - in cash -- in dollar bills and Euros -- delivered by a secret airplane flight to Iran.

A true American might ask why the United States is paying Iran one damn cent, especially since Iran has never paid compensation for the building or the people. (In 2015 Barack "The Dickless One" Obama passed legislation that gave compensation to the hostages, but it was paid for with American tax dollars).

So the U.S. taxpayer paid our victims of the Iranian government, the Iranian government gets a free pass and a demand that we repay them the money for the (undelivered) military equipment.

And of course "The Dickless One" collapses like a wet paper towel, and claims that his payment "saved America nearly a billion dollars!" Get it? We pay the Iranians $400 million in cold hard cash -- that we never had to pay under any circumstances -- and Barack boasts of "saving money."

Let me just point out one appropriate example of "what should have happened."

In 1972 Libya bought and paid in advance for eight C-130 Hercules aircraft. They were built, flight tested, then the State Department would not give an export license to Moammar Gadhafi to receive them since he had become an enemy of the United States. Those eight aircraft are still sitting on the ground in Georgia.

http://www.marietta.com/30-years-aft...ll-in-marietta

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1129951/posts
Old 4 August 2016, 01:43
Calix Meus Inebrians

It's sickening to think what a group like the Quds Force can do with a cash injection of $400 million. If I was Iran and getting free money from the US, that's where I'd direct it as a big fuck you.
Old 4 August 2016, 06:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
delivered by a secret airplane flight to Iran.
This is a big part of why stuff like this bothers me, and I think most Americans. If you believe you are doing the right thing, then there is no need to be sneaky about it.

Never mind, the new episode of Game of Thrones is one tonight.
Old 4 August 2016, 07:44
Been There Done That

I am by no means advocating that this payment was justified, or a necessity, and emphasize that more than one law was broken when this deal was brokered. But one could make the argument that if we had not conducted a covert operation with the British in August of 1953 to overthrow Mossadegh, Iran might not be in the state of influx it is today. Through greed and the quest for power we enabled Iran to be the tumultuous anti-American cesspool it is today.
“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.” -William F. Butler
Old 4 August 2016, 07:48
Authorized Personnel

Nothing to see, move along...

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 4 August 2016, 07:59
On the Extract Bird

The amount came as a result from the Hague's decision. If we pretend to at least care about international law, then we would pay this regardless. It doesn't have anything to do with being "dickless" or whatever, but rather about upholding the international order.
Old 4 August 2016, 08:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIntel View Post
The amount came as a result from the Hague's decision. If we pretend to at least care about international law, then we would pay this regardless. It doesn't have anything to do with being "dickless" or whatever, but rather about upholding the international order.
The "Hague's decision???" Since when do we give a fuck what the Hague has to say in terms of the U.S. paying out reparations to Iran? We waited 30+ plus years to withhold said payment, and why did it have to happen on the day that coincided with the "release" of our hostages? And over the last 30 years when the fuck has Iran upheld "international order" when it comes to being a state sponsor of terrorism, among other things???

This was another backdoor deal that this administration cooked up without the authority and vote from congress. And the excuse that cash had to be used because there were limited to no banks available is a load of horse shit. There were plenty of allied countries that had business ties to Iran where a wire transfer was justified if need be. We flat out paid for the release of our hostages.
“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.” -William F. Butler

Last edited by Boyo72; 4 August 2016 at 08:21. Reason: edited for content
Old 4 August 2016, 08:12
Administrator

Quote:

Right. So do we make the check out to Hezbollah, or to IRGC-QF? Back to the school books for you, Junior. Great screen name by the way. Fitting to go with that stellar analysis above...LOL

This was a convenient excuse to pay a cash ransom for four hostages and still have some modicum of feigned outrage and something to point at when they get outed (as this shit always does). It is nothing more than that.

Hell this is the tip of the iceberg compared to what came next when we unfroze their bank accounts. But the cash transaction....that was about hostages.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 4 August 2016, 08:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
So, since you're so queer for internationals and their laws, I guess you think we should hand over forthwith the 23 CIA officers who have been convicted in Italy...
Old 4 August 2016, 08:17
Skandalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
This was a convenient excuse to pay a cash ransom for four hostages.
Yep...I don't believe in coincidence. The "timing" was too perfect. As far as what happened in the past. Well, that was then and this is now. We simply don't need to pay them anything, because regardless of what they get from us...it won't change anything. We will remain a target of theirs.
Old 4 August 2016, 08:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Back to the school books for you, Junior. Great screen name by the way. Fitting to go with that stellar analysis above...LOL
Bingo... +Pi!!
Old 4 August 2016, 08:34
Confirmed User

It was ransom money....The Obama administration can call it anything they want but Iran knows it is ransom money...and they won again.

Quote:
The United States’ sent Iran $400 million in debt plus $1.3 billion in interest, and the money was disbursed as a ransom payment for four American hostages of the Islamic regime, a top Iranian commander said Wednesday afternoon. Therefore, the U.S. paid the Iranian regime $425 million dollars per American hostage, according to the commander.

“The annulment of sanctions against Iran’s Bank Sepah and reclaiming of $1.7mln of Iran’s frozen assets after 36 years showed that the US doesn’t understand anything but the language of force,” said Iranian Basij Commander Brig Gen Mohammed Reza Naqdi, addressing his forces in Tehran.

“This money was returned for the freedom of the US spy and it was not related to the (nuclear) negotiations,” he claimed, according to state-controlled Fars News Agency.
Old 4 August 2016, 08:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
The amount came as a result from the Hague's decision.
The Hague passed no decision yet. Obama claims that the US would have lost and owed far more but I don't believe the either.

The $1.7B was paid by Iran when headed by the ousted Shah. As far as I am concerned, that money was forfeit when they kicked off the 1979 revolution and took our people hostages for 400 days.

F*ck them and their money.
Old 4 August 2016, 10:35
Been There Done That

Couldn't we have just paid them in pennies!
Old 4 August 2016, 10:47

What's the going rate for a W88 warhead?

It's no wonder our enemies view us as weak, pathetic, and ripe for plundering. I can't think of one traditional enemy we haven't cucked ourselves too recently.
Old 4 August 2016, 10:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Yea, maybe we can call it 'Jizya' for not converting to Islam or enacting Sharia Law. $400M in unmarked USD, Franc's, Euro's delivered in the dark of night. WTF?? Do we give money back to drug cartels that is siezed? No. Even the corrupt DOJ objected to this ransom payment but was over ruled by the State Dept/Kerry. I'm sure that the Iranian born Valerie Jarret was the architect of this deal/scam. Even if there was some legitimacy to this (I don't think there is) the optics suck. Most transparent Administration ever, my ass. That $400M should have been divvy'd up with the families who lost service members to EFP's.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/04/doj-o...tment-wsj.html

Our new posting rules