SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 4 August 2016, 10:56
"We're all bad in someone's story...."

I guess, an electronic bank transfer was not needed....
Old 4 August 2016, 10:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonyea View Post
Couldn't we have just paid them in pennies!
Or Israeli Shekel's.
Old 4 August 2016, 10:57
Administrator

It's just more "in your face" and "fuck you if you don't like it" from this administration.

In more than 13,000 days to choose from since 1979, we are supposed to believe that on the exact day that 4 American hostages are released that it just happened to be the day that we send $400 million in cash in the dead of night, in secret, via an unmarked aircraft, to pay some bullshit debt to the biggest state sponsor of terrorism in the world, just so we could save some money. And how dare we imply that the two things could possibly be related.

Makes Iran/Contra pale in comparison. Yet we as a nation do nothing but lay down and take it. Unfuckingbelievable.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 4 August 2016, 11:13
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERRIAM-WEBSTER
a consideration paid or demanded for the release of someone or something from captivity
It was money that originally was Iran's and had been frozen. Depending upon relative objectives and negotiating strength, it could have been returned to Iran, or seized.
Based upon the timing, it would be incredibly disingenuous to believe that it was not directly part of the negotiations. ALL of the issues --- hostages, nukes, frozen assets --- were negotiated together. And so, based on the definition of ransom, that makes it effectively a ransom.

They knew full-well it was a ransom payment. And the terrible optics of negotiating a ransom --- even if it was effectively returning their own money to them --- are why they tried to hide it.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 4 August 2016, 11:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Or Israeli Shekel's.
LOL reminds of a deployment in the 90s....may have been 93 on the USS Roosevelt.

Our last port in the Gulf was Dubai. Upon leaving, we transit to the Ditch and head back into the Med with a first stop in Haifa. I remember being at a bank with several others getting money and guy from the ship was trying to exchange left over Dirhams... The Israeli teller politely told that they do not exchange that currency and refused to even touch it.
Old 4 August 2016, 11:24

It was never their money. Once they overthrew the Shah, that country became the Islamic Republic of Iran. A completely different animal.

Everyone knows the reason why it was flown in an unmarked plane, in the middle of the night, and paid for with literally wood pallets of Euros, dollars, and other cash. I mean, EVERYONE knows it. But no one dares to say to the Press Secretary "dude you're full of shit, and so is your boss". Because then their coveted press pass would be revoked and their precious 'access' would be restricted. It was a ransom. Hollywood couldn't make a more stereotypical ransom payoff scene.

But hey, fuck it. Trump eats fried chicken on a plane with a fork and knife. No seriously. That's a "real" story.

Ebola/Meteor 2016..........
Old 4 August 2016, 12:23
Confirmed User

Same State Dept, right?

LINK
Quote:
CNN POLITICS

State Department report finds Iran is top state sponsor of terror

Washington (CNN)The State Department on Thursday released its annual report on global terrorist activity, listing Iran as the top state sponsor of terrorism and labeling ISIS "the greatest threat globally."
The report also includes statistics on terrorist activity worldwide, and said 11,774 terrorist attacks in 92 countries occurred in 2015.

The department's acting coordinator for counterterrorism, Justin Siberell, briefed reporters Thursday on the report's content, saying the document was used to assess the effectiveness of the effort to combat terrorism and to determine where to best place resources.
On Iran, the report said that country "remained the foremost state sponsor of terrorism in 2015, providing a range of support, including financial, training, and equipment, to groups around the world."
The report also said that Iran was continuing to provide arms and cash to terrorist groups like Hezbollah and Iraqi Shia terrorist groups, including Kata'ib Hizballah (KH). Both groups are designated Foreign Terrorist Organizations in the report.
Old 4 August 2016, 13:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Same State Dept, right?

LINK
And this "event" is being touted as one of the biggest diplomatic deals in U.S. history.

It blows my mind daily how this administration continues to lie and coverup its use of the instruments of national power...and we continue to ignore it. Reagan was on the verge of impeachment when the Iran-Contra deal was exposed, what the fuck does it take for this administration to be held accountable to the same standard as the American people?

And DD, an ebola meteor is not the answer
“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.” -William F. Butler
Old 4 August 2016, 13:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Makes Iran/Contra pale in comparison. Yet we as a nation do nothing but lay down and take it. Unfuckingbelievable.
What do we do?

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 4 August 2016, 13:50
What could possibly go wrong?

I just don't even get angry, mad, hostile, etc anymore over this shit. I finally realized that there is nothing I can do about it. Oh, we write scathing posts here and on Facebook, forward articles and rants and hashtags. But that's the extent of it. We all then go back to ordering pizza and watching tv.
What's the stat....congress only has a couple percent approval rate, yet something like a 90 odd percent re-election number?
As it was told to me here a few yrs ago I think, I'll start paying attention again when REAL moves are made against a tyrannical govt...when people stop paying taxes....when a state declares a secession.....when the govt starts showing up to seize guns......
I believe the boat has already went over the waterfall. Short of a constitutional convention, all of this is just mental masturbation and angry posts.
I've mentally made my choices.....I refuse to comply. Now we wait......
Old 4 August 2016, 13:52
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
What do we do?
As a start, we don't give them 400 million dollars!

And, if we (administration) do, then own it and call it what it is...ransom money. That way, at least I will know that they know they are weak.
Old 4 August 2016, 13:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
The Hague passed no decision yet. Obama claims that the US would have lost and owed far more but I don't believe the either.

The $1.7B was paid by Iran when headed by the ousted Shah. As far as I am concerned, that money was forfeit when they kicked off the 1979 revolution and took our people hostages for 400 days.

F*ck them and their money.
It was kicked off the revolution, they voided their government. Voiding your government has implications. They are not the same government, we don't owe them the money.
Old 4 August 2016, 14:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
As a start, we don't give them 400 million dollars!

And, if we (administration) do, then own it and call it what it is...ransom money. That way, at least I will know that they know they are weak.
I am not talking about the administration, I am talking about us as in the people. The Dems don't give one fuck about what people think and are doing whatever they want.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 4 August 2016, 14:21
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
It was kicked off the revolution, they voided their government. Voiding your government has implications. They are not the same government, we don't owe them the money.
Not that I think we should pay them a dime, but the current Iranian government can be recognized as the legal successor of the old one. Russia taking the place of the USSR in all the international treaties, US Security Council seat, and all the rest comes to mind as an example.
Old 4 August 2016, 14:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Same State Dept, right?

LINK

Well between this and giving money to the Muslium brotherhood in Eygypt and the Iran treaty if you can call it that. Dollar for dallor aren't we the US the top sponsor of terrorism?
Old 4 August 2016, 15:06
Confirmed User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
What do we do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA SGT View Post
I just don't even get angry, mad, hostile, etc anymore over this shit...

As it was told to me here a few yrs ago I think, I'll start paying attention again when REAL moves are made against a tyrannical govt...when people stop paying taxes....when a state declares a secession.....when the govt starts showing up to seize guns......
I don't know, maybe a legit group of professionals with weapon, tactical and organizational skills could form a well regulated militia? Not a small good old boy network of cool guys that know each other from the .mil but a nationwide commitment from like-minded individuals who already have the fortitude and experience to actually pull the nation out of a tailspin if and when the inevitable occurs. Or we could continue making posts etc.
Old 4 August 2016, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
Not that I think we should pay them a dime, but the current Iranian government can be recognized as the legal successor of the old one. Russia taking the place of the USSR in all the international treaties, US Security Council seat, and all the rest comes to mind as an example.
I don't think that's the same at all. "Legal" succession would have to be defined and codified in the original govt's legal framework, and if that was the case the Iranian Revolution wouldn't have been a "revolution".

Russia being allowed to maintain it's UN status was a different bird entirely.
Old 4 August 2016, 15:08
Isiah 52:13-53:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA SGT View Post
I just don't even get angry, mad, hostile, etc anymore over this shit. I finally realized that there is nothing I can do about it. Oh, we write scathing posts here and on Facebook, forward articles and rants and hashtags. But that's the extent of it. We all then go back to ordering pizza and watching tv.
What's the stat....congress only has a couple percent approval rate, yet something like a 90 odd percent re-election number?
I believe the boat has already went over the waterfall. Short of a constitutional convention, all of this is just mental masturbation and angry posts.
I've mentally made my choices.....I refuse to comply. Now we wait......
This^^^...but I do still get pissed. I just don't post anymore... just wait.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.” -Francis Bacon
Old 4 August 2016, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
I don't know, maybe a legit group of professionals with weapon, tactical and organizational skills could form a well regulated militia? Not a small good old boy network of cool guys that know each other from the .mil but a nationwide commitment from like-minded individuals who already have the fortitude and experience to actually pull the nation out of a tailspin if and when the inevitable occurs. Or we could continue making posts etc.
Yeah I think the .gov calls those people "domestic terrorists" or "POTENTIAL domestic terrorists".

Sometimes I think people forget that the .gov, above ALL else, will protect it's monopoly on power. Especially the power to "correct" itself. Look at the absolute insane dollar amounts being spent and infrastructure (both legal and institutional) being put in place to protect them from even the THOUGHT of having an armed insurrection counter their plans for what they want. I mean, Germany is spending around $30 billion dollars to import people to rape, kill, and burn their cities. If they didn't have the power (read: the men with guns and the domestic spy apparatus) to do so...........the people there would have already thrown Merkel out on her gross ass.
Old 4 August 2016, 15:31
Confirmed User

But, here in the U.S. militias are already widespread. Weapons and organizing aren't illegal. Going out and bombing things, killing people, threatening are a completely different story. I guess we could continue to complain.

Our new posting rules