SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 30 September 2016, 06:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
^You should try to steer him towards the CIA spy route.
I just want to steer him away from the oxygen tank route.
Old 30 September 2016, 10:11
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
I know plenty who live fine on their retirement. Most are working as something to do versus needing to get by.

Where are all these 6 figure jobs for retired cops? Hook a brother up!!
What percentage does your job pay upon retirement? If you can take a 30-50% cut and still live the same life style, then i guess there is no problem.

As far as 6 figure jobs are concerned, they are out there, but not for the dude who did twenty in a car or on the detective squad. However, if you get promoted, and get to the senior level in a large or medium sized department/agency, or you picked up other SME skills, then there are opportunities to easily make 6 figures after retirement. For example, a very common job for retired LEO is in the insurance industry, working in the SIU. A retired cop hired on as a SIU investigator is normally making $40-$60K. However, if you're hired on as a manager or director level in the SIU, then you're making easily into the 6 figures. Same applies for other investigative and or security industries. If you network while on the job, like perhaps joining the IASIU and attend their monthly meetings, you can lay the ground work for one of those 6 figure jobs upon retirement. Again it's about generating a strategic long-term plan and then implementing the plan. That may involve earning an MBA or law degree while on the Job, and like I said, getting promoted out of the field and garnering administrative experience, but it takes effort and a plan. If you bemoan the "fact" that there aren't good paying work after leaving, then all I can say is look in the mirror.

Our new posting rules