SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 14 October 2017, 15:55
#BlackRiflesMatter

Are you stretching out?

When I was young....

I never really spent a lot of time warming up or stretching out.

I would jump out of bed, throw on some running shoes and head out the door and pound away. Same for Judo classes. It's amazing I didn't rip, tear, or snap tendons, ligaments, and muscles.

NOW, at over 50 it's really starting to be critical to warm-up, cool-down and stretch. My typical week is a good mixture of walking, running, biking, and rowing...and I THOUGHT I was starting to make progress after 5+yrs in that damn office chair. But, I have noticed a lot more soreness post-workout. So, I decided to take a Yoga class to help with the soreness, flexibility, push myself outside my comfort zone (and just try to be young and agile again).

SURPRISE! I had a big misconception about being back in shape!

The lower back, hips, and hamstrings might as well still be in that F'n office chair 10hrs/day. Yes, they are getting stronger...but where's the related agility? F#@k, I couldn't even get myself into some of the positions without help...it was embarrassing. Working hard to be a badass (at least for my age ) and I can't even do this wimpy-ass (so I thought) yoga shit without help!

What say you? Are you doing anything to stay flexible and agile? Important?
Or like me, have just been focused on pounding out the reps or miles?
Any favorite routines?

Last edited by Tycon; 14 October 2017 at 16:21.
Old 14 October 2017, 16:22
Confirmed User

In my early thirties, I'm already a mobility disaster from 4 years of Infantry and lots of running on my own. Sitting at a desk these days has also done a number on my neck.

I do yoga, but not as often as I should which is probably why I don't see great results. I'm honestly to the point where I don't lift or run anymore, which seems to be the best treatment for my mobility issues.

Some people seem able to hammer themselves every day with no repercussions. For the rest of us, it seems like you almost need to spend as much time stretching, foam rolling etc as you do the activity itself (running, lifting)
Old 14 October 2017, 17:53
#BlackRiflesMatter

Spot on! I went all the way through my 40s hammering with no issues. Then 5+yrs of pushing a desk "stoved me up" beyond recognition. And you're also right about the time factor.

If I don't stretch (before and) after roadwork for a good 1/2 hour...within 1/2hr I'll stiffen up so much I can't hardly get back out of the chair! This getting older shit is painful and time consuming work!
Old 14 October 2017, 19:04
Life is simple, not easy.

At 48 I’m stretching every morning for at least 20 mins or I’m not well the rest of the day. Going on week 10 of total knee replacement and can’t get the knee totally straight yet so I’ve got weeks of more pain via physical therapy. Why? Tightness in my hamstrings and behind the knee.

I’ve had P90X since 2010 and to this day I can’t get through that yoga CD.
So obviously I switched to a yoga better suited to my body. LOL. That P90X yoga CD is a beast.
Old 14 October 2017, 21:05
#BlackRiflesMatter

Sigi, it's funny you mention P90X. I just found the complete set of DVDs in my thriftshop trapline for $5 and grabbed them. My brother and his wife (both triathletes, at age 51) swear by them. I took a look at the yoga dvd this morning and I agree, their X-yoga looked like a MF. I knew I wasn't close to ready. Fortunately they had a slightly milder X-stretching video I started with this morning before the long bike ride. I liked it, and I don't hurt nearly as much as usual this afternoon.

I think I may see if the Yoga class instructor can work with me on some personal/remedial lessons. Cute little Korean gal, and excellent instructor. Okay, I admit my motives may be slightly suspect. But, hey, I need to get out of the retirement community sometimes...just to remember what normal humans look and act like.

Good luck, and keep up the good work on the knee. That's funny as shit about the fire alarm in the middle of knee therapy! We must be related. Keep your head down!

Last edited by Tycon; 14 October 2017 at 21:31.
Old 14 October 2017, 21:40
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
In my early thirties, I'm already a mobility disaster from 4 years of Infantry and lots of running on my own. Sitting at a desk these days has also done a number on my neck.
Atrax, try this excellent routine for the neck issues, 1x per day.
Seems to work for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eipuJPgHFZk
Old 15 October 2017, 13:25
Confirmed User

Ha!
Old 15 October 2017, 14:16
Confirmed User

FYI...

Some good stuff on this topic discussed in an earlier thread:
http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=130060
Old 15 October 2017, 20:50
#BlackRiflesMatter