SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 26 March 2018, 08:21
Confirmed User

Knee Sleeves - Compression Wear

I’m looking to purchase a pair of these for my aching knees. I would use them during training and if I were to go hiking or Xcountry skiing….or heck, even yard work. This particular style is 7mm neoprene thick and covers the patella vs. the open patella models. https://www.roguefitness.com/rehband...froning-series .

I’m generally not a fan of covering the patella, but these new designs (4 part) seem to be an advancement over the ‘one sleeve fits all’ neoprene of the past.

Also wondering if compression wear (shorts, leggings, ‘copperwear’ etc) are valuable assets in keeping the body warm/blood flow/etc. or if it’s somewhat a fad.

Any thoughts/advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
Old 26 March 2018, 13:22
BTDT

I always read they are a band aid (at least in weightlifting) for poor form/bio-mechanics. They also don't heat anything, which this link discusses:

http://usawa.com/knee-sleeve-analysis/

They seem maybe/maybe not on an actual medical condition.

I actually bought a pair of Rhebands early on in my lifting because of knee pain during the squat. Fixed my technique and haven't need them in years.
Old 26 March 2018, 13:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MIKE View Post
I’m looking to purchase a pair of these for my aching knees. I would use them during training and if I were to go hiking or Xcountry skiing….or heck, even yard work. This particular style is 7mm neoprene thick and covers the patella vs. the open patella models. https://www.roguefitness.com/rehband...froning-series .

I’m generally not a fan of covering the patella, but these new designs (4 part) seem to be an advancement over the ‘one sleeve fits all’ neoprene of the past.

Also wondering if compression wear (shorts, leggings, ‘copperwear’ etc) are valuable assets in keeping the body warm/blood flow/etc. or if it’s somewhat a fad.

Any thoughts/advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

I don't know about the warm part. But I've had a pair of Tommy Coppers for about 3 years. I've had 3 knee surgeries and they do help some when the arthritis pain flares up.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 26 March 2018, 13:33
Militant Hippy

Rehband's

I have the Rehband 7mm's. For me (6 knee surgeries later), I almost NEVER squat without them. If I do my knees hurt. I wear them for most of my training.

I also sometimes wear them hiking, hunting, etc.
Old 26 March 2018, 13:49
Confirmed User

I wear a patella tendon knee bands while hiking and it does the job well. Without them I am dead in the water after a day or so.
Old 26 March 2018, 15:36
Life is simple, not easy.

Before I had my knee replaced I would wear the TC brace from time to time, knowing there wasn't much it could really do to help. When I told this to my physical therapist post-op he said don't discount the brace since it tells your brain that there is 'support' around the knee and it can help correct your walk. YMMV
Old 26 March 2018, 19:18

I wear these exact same sleeves every time I squat without exception. They don't so much keep your knees "warm" as they reduce the inflammation that causes soreness, stiffness, etc. The way i understand it, the compression helps keep the swelling of your knees down which is what causes soreness after your workout.

This was especially bad for me because i workout during lunch and come back to work sitting at a desk. Before i started using the knee sleeves, i would have a hell of a time after sitting for about an hour.

A few things about the sleeves:

- You want them to fit tight. Follow the instructions on sizing and you should be ok.

- I generally like the thickest size available, but the thicker the size, the more you will sweat while wearing them.

- You need to rinse them off after every use, otherwise they will stink very quickly. Once the dried sweat gets in the neoprene, they reek like hell and you can't wash it out. Rinsing immediately post-workout gets the sweat off before it dries.

- They are pretty expensive (about $40 per sleeve) so it pays to take care of them.

- When you order, the default number ordered is "1 sleeve" not "1 pair of sleeves". Make sure you order the right number.

As I said, I use them religiously but as with all things fitness related, YMMV.
Old 28 March 2018, 12:41
Confirmed User

Thanks for all the feedback, I learned something in each of these posts.

WRT keeping an injured area 'warm', there was a thread awhile back comparing cold vs hot injury therapy with the idea that increased blood flow to an area helps speed up recovery by flushing all of the 'toxins' (?) away....kind of to KillRoy's point.

I did a little digging and found some articles on promoting 'moist heat' as a necessity to combating chronic (arthritic) injuries.

And I'm half jokingly wondering if the next step in 'compression wear' is working out in a full on wet suit.....that way all your injured area's are covered and you WILL be compressed and heat up accordingly!!!
Old 28 March 2018, 13:14

I recall reading years ago that a significant part of why wrapping/taping (and now compression sleeves?) are beneficial post-injury is that they provide increased proprioception, ongoing feedback, from the affected area. Subtle hyperawareness allows us to better avoid dangerous stresses, maintain correct posture and position; behaviors that may be blunted with injury and/or fatigue.
Seems to speak to what Polypro references with improving actual technique (or maybe modifying to minimize windup of YOUR particular injury).

Dunno about actual circulatory improvement, but careful compression would certainly help mitigate swelling and joint effusion post-use, as would icing, elevation.

DaveP

Our new posting rules