SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 29 December 2017, 13:43
EOD Mod

If it works for you, enjoy.
Old 31 December 2017, 11:09
Confirmed User

I'm sure other methods would work more. I just prefer simple, and it seems to achieve what I want.
Old 1 January 2018, 22:41
EOD Mod

As long as you’re getting something out of it. Those two moves are the bedrock of KB work. For me, I get bored. I like doing a lot of EMOM snatches if I only do one thing. I figured this lets me detach and just do what is written
Old 2 January 2018, 01:10
Confirmed User

I need someone to teach me to snatch. I can't figure it out.
Old 6 January 2018, 15:40
EOD Mod

I learned with the"pull/punch" method.

A good short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l2Iu26oWW8
Old 6 January 2018, 17:09
Confirmed User

I 'get' it, but have all kinds of trouble actually doing it.
Old 11 January 2018, 15:17
EOD Mod

Yeah, It's a "grease the groove" pattern, and the grease is pain. It takes me a while to get it back if I lay off.
Old 15 January 2018, 18:13
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
I 'get' it, but have all kinds of trouble actually doing it.
I just wrote a longer post in response to this but it disappeared.

What problems are you having?

Most common issues are the wrist banging, hand position, descent control, poor swing.

Steve Cotter had a couple of useful videos on the subject.
https://youtu.be/4ku6SNKBZIA
https://youtu.be/bkeWDzUMVZI

If your grip is a problem and your hands get beat up try using a glove like the following. The KB slips around making it easier on your skin but works the grip so you can still see gains with reps without ripping your hands.
UltraSource String Knit Gloves, Light Weight, Men's Size (Pack of 12) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KU108OW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dnsxAbJXTB1G3

If interested I can provide some progression workout examples to build on.
Old 15 January 2018, 19:59
Confirmed User

Wrist banging, I suppose. I mean I can clean fine, and I know not to pop it over the top, I just can't figure out how to roll it to the side properly when snatching.
Old 16 January 2018, 09:24
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Wrist banging, I suppose. I mean I can clean fine, and I know not to pop it over the top, I just can't figure out how to roll it to the side properly when snatching.
I solved that with another drill.
Smooth insertion technique by initiating the snatch with one hand but inserting and catching with the opposite hand. See here:
https://youtu.be/F5u9HXjWOYw

Did I mention that you should be doing this with something very light. I practiced, and sometimes still do, certain skills with an 8kg. Once I’m good, I add weight. A big handle opening is necessary. Competition bells have them but some bells have very small openings making the insertion all but impossible.

Even if you can’t get it immediately and want to snatch, just use these until your technique smoothes out.
Under Armour 6" Performance Wristband, Black/White, One Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KH3P74/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_RWFxAbJ10VB6Q
Old 16 January 2018, 10:44
Confirmed User

Thanks.

RE wrist bands. I have a 32kg, that ain't gonna help. I can practice with my daughters 8kg for sure.
Old 16 January 2018, 11:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Thanks.

RE wrist bands. I have a 32kg, that ain't gonna help. I can practice with my daughters 8kg for sure.
32KG? Nope. Wristbands wont help.

If you are used to heavier weights, then a 16KG might be your best option for practicing form. Using a 32 to throw with one hand and catch with the other is a great way to destroy your shoulder and/or elbow.
Old 16 January 2018, 18:57
Confirmed User

So - troubleshooting the snatch. As e5 mentioned it is often in the swing, and/or poor control of the descent. The snatch is completely dependent on the swing, especially in the hardstyle version (vs. competition version).

Some cues to check on your swing:
- Are you hinging too soon? You should literally be "playing chicken with your balls" on the downswing. I.e. your forearm(s) should almost be touching the inside of your thighs before you break for the hinge.
- Does the bell truly float at the top of the swing? If it does, you should be good to go on the snatch.

From there - try the high-pull as an intermediate step between swing and snatch (as jw mentions). The cue you are looking for on the high-pull is that it's not really a pull... meaning your shoulder should be packed (down) and elbow should be down in relation to the bell. You should be guiding the trajectory of the bell from your swing vs. actually pulling it. If you engage too much back or shoulder on the high-pull, your snatch will suck.

Once you have that down - it's about timing that upward punch properly. That takes some practice, but eventually your body will figure it out.

On the down swing - and this one is important - don't let the bell descend too far from your body. I see this mistake a lot. Your arm should not be fully extended on the descent. Your elbow should be bent slightly to tame the drop and your wrist needs to relax a bit.

Some folks use the "snatch the bell straight from the floor" with a light bell as a learning progression. I'm not a big fan of this one, because most folks want to engage the lats too much, and also don't get the significance of the swing as the foundation of the snatch. However, if your swing is solid and you can snatch from the floor without engaging too much of the lats, this can be a way to figure out the punch through at the top and not smash your wrist.

Lastly - make sure the handles on your bells are smooth and don't have a nasty seam from the manufacturing process. This will wreck your hands even if you have perfect form.

Hope this helps.
Old 19 January 2018, 10:10
EOD Mod

Quote:
...and I know not to pop it over the top, I just can't figure out how to roll it to the side properly when snatching.
I started with the side roll. I was corrected quickly by my former coach. I go over the top. It keeps the wrist in alignment. The trick is the punch, which takes time to develop. Also, grip helps to decelerate the bell as it's coming over. I try to snatch twice a week, primarily EMOM workouts. I work 45-55 lbs bells. Nothing real heavy.
Old 19 January 2018, 11:52
Confirmed User

Very helpful, thanks to you all.
Old 5 March 2018, 16:37
Confirmed User

Still not snatching, but I'm slowly increasing volume with the bigger 32kg. I'm up to 4 x 50 swings, but 10 x 10 with one hand still kick my ass, as do clean and press. Most tgu's I got was 24, the stupid thing is a beast.
Old 10 March 2018, 12:31
Confirmed User

We have a 53lb kb at work, which I've never used. Last night, instead of sitting in traffic, I grabbed it work a quick workout after my shift. I did a warmup set of 50, the 8 sets of 25 single-hand. It was easy, felt light.

So: how the hell does 8 or 16 more lbs feel like a 'holy shit' difference with kettlebells? It's nuts.
Old 11 March 2018, 04:58
Confirmed User

Physics. F=ma.

Check out the "The Swing - A Fat Burning Athlete Builder" and "Shadow Swings" chapters in Simple & Sinister. A mention is made about one of the instructors measured 500lbs on a pressure plate on an accelerated down-swing (eccentric) with a 24kg bell. There are also measurements on Pavel that illustrate the difference between one-hand and two-hand swings.

The continuous motion of swings adds cumulative loads as well. From my own experience - I can do a fair amount of swings with the 32kg bell. Once I step up to the 40kg bell, the total number of (well executed) reps goes down significantly. And even more so with the "beast". I haven't swung the beast in a while - but when I was, I would typically max out at about 15 solid reps per set.
Old 28 March 2018, 00:15
Confirmed User

Been in Colorado a lot for work lately. Decided to make the drive this past trip instead of flying so I could do some hiking in Utah and Colorado, and also so I could bring my KBs along.

One place I was staying at was at an altitude of about 7200ft. I did some swings with the 24kg bell in the hotel room. About the 3rd set it hit me... I was sucking air and legs felt like lead - heart pumping like a trip-hammer. Granted I live at sea level and am now north of 50, but this really caught me off guard. And 7200ft isn't a huge altitude I know.

Anyone else have a dramatic reaction to altitude like this? Normal?

TFG - I wasn't wearing yoga pants so I can't blame it on that.
Old 28 March 2018, 15:46
The Sagacious One

Hah, Its like getting free reps. Work to your limit with fewer reps due to altitude.

Silverbullet was just telling me that he thinks that his yoga pants really help his TGU's.

Our new posting rules