SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 28 April 2017, 15:47
#BlackRiflesMatter

Fancy Fitness Watches?

So, I'm well into 55yrs this year and fighting the age battle as best I can.

Roadwork: Part of that has been to put in minimum 5mi/day, and closer to 8-10 these days (recover on Sundays) roadwork. This is a walk two songs, run one song - interval training type of deal...with a lot more walking than running at the end of the miles. This does include some small amount of stairwork (9 parking garage stories at lunch, 18 after work, as fast pace as I can) in downtown Phoenix...(so I will have to find alternatives in July). This takes up a huge amount of my evening time, but at least it's a healthy addiction. Weekends (Fri/Sat) I throw on a weighted daypack (filled with lots of water, some gatorade) of about 10-15+/- lbs. and make a big-ass loop that ends with my favorite Thai Food restaurant. LOL! Fucking LOVE curry chicken!

RowingMachine: I combine roadwork everyday, with a decent Concept II rower workout (30 minutes minimum @ 35+BPM) on alternate days. (kicks my ass!)

My cellphone tracks the steps/mileage and appx cals burned for the walk/run and seems very accurate. And I have a cheap walgrens heartrate watch that shows that I can still push the 160+/min range as a rough maximum (usually running the top of the stairs). And it will also give me an accurate resting heartrate as well.

My buddy has the $200+ Fit-bit and raves about it because of the heartrate tracking (even sleeping) and such. Another buddy has the Garmin version. I'm torn in trying to decide IF I need one of these, or is it more of a $200 toy that the cool kids wear for the pretty colored graph?

Anyone experienced with these? Is the heart tracking feature worth it, compared to just a cheap realtime "status" watch like I have? Any other cool shit they do?

Last edited by Tycon; 28 April 2017 at 16:07.
Old 28 April 2017, 19:57
Supporterator

IMO Fitbit is a fashion symbol--but my most recent knowledge is a year old.

I worked a brief stint at REI when I was going to school in 2015. The competition for activity trackers is stiff--and gets pricey fast when you start adding features.

Some of them such as the Garmin Fenix 3 are packed with features. GPS, breadcrumbs, WiFi and the ability to add a chest-strap heart rate monitor (the only way to gain accurate HR IME, vs some that try to use your wrist pulse). But to me, unless you are training for a specific sport and need to maintain really accurate statistics of training or just have money to burn, I can't justify the pricier ones.

I hope you find this information pertinent and helpful.
Old 29 April 2017, 03:09
Been There Done That

Timex. Use the minute hand instead of the second hand. You're 55, run the way you want to run.
Old 29 April 2017, 06:55
Been There Done That

Hell, at 55, be thankful you are even out running. Let alone doing 5 - 8 mile jogs daily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 29 April 2017, 07:16
Another pool cleaner

My son got one for Christmas.

Fancy toy.

Get fit. Everything else is a gimmick.
Old 29 April 2017, 07:45
Unemployed Stunt Double

I was gifted a top-end Fitbit. Wore it for a while during runs. It is not very accurate. Concur on the gimmick assessment.
Old 29 April 2017, 10:06
I really don't care

i agree with the comments above, and add that in my opinion the Fitbit it is way off with the sleep monitoring tool. For running and walking I use a app that I have found to be very accurate if I put my phone in my sock instead of in my pocket. Good luck on your fitness journey.
Old 29 April 2017, 12:25
Been There Done That

Just go old school....get a Seiko, Omega or Rolex dive watch. Set the bezel with the minute to time your runs, and the second hand to check your pulse rate.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 29 April 2017, 13:26
Spice Weasel

Fitbit is Milennial feel-good tech. I wouldn't bother with it. If you're going to do serious training, there are much better options.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 29 April 2017, 18:58
Been There Done That

My daughter got me an Apple watch, so I keep track of blood Pressure, time, stop watch, just about everything. It is sweat proof, don't know about a lot of water.
I am 67 and still doing road work during the week. My Dr said" let pain be your guide"
She has a sense of humor !
Old 30 April 2017, 02:08
Confirmed User

I use a Garmin Fenix 3 HR for running, trail running and weight bearing training. It monitors it all including a wrist mounted heart monitor. It also has GPS as most do, but it has "trackback" which is a feature i used when i get lost on the trails :)

It's pricey but good for me.

What i've learnt is that in general sleep monitoring is bleh regardless of device. I sleep, i wake up. I'm happy.

Heart monitoring is great if looking to improve fitness, calculate calories burned, Vo2MAX etc., but if just tracking time and distance, not necessary.

In short, for me and my uses, it's very useful.
Old 30 April 2017, 04:31
Calculating Infinity...

I like the Garmin devices and have been using them for about 8 yrs. First, one of the Forerunner models and currently the Fenix 2. I've found them to be reliable and accurrate, as far as GPS and HRM functions go. A couple of the features I really like is the ability to store all of my workouts on Garmin Connect and the ability to easily program interval workouts, whether I use it for running or bodyweight workouts.
Old 30 April 2017, 09:33
Authorized Personnel

You can pick up refurb'd Fenix 2's on Amazon now, for under $150. I've been eyeing those up as a replacement for my Forerunner 310XT. I also use my 310XT as my bike computer too though, so I'm not sure if I'll go that route. I like having an entire sprint triathlon on one device.
Old 30 April 2017, 18:00
Confirmed User

I have a refurb Garmin Vivo HR that I picked up on Amazon for $60. My work has a health program that rewards specific health goals including monitoring steps, HR, and activities. This makes it easy and the work program ends up paying for it. If it wasn't for the work program I would not have it.

Heart rate is good to drive intensity. The connectivity to the phone for text and calls is useful. My phone is always on vibrate so it helps me see those calls I really wanted to. Sleep tracking is interesting. I can see when the 22y/o comes in late as it shows when I "woke up" and I don't remember it at all.

Battery lasts a week and recharges via USB in 30 min. Completely waterproof unlike most which are simply water resistant.

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Old 30 April 2017, 18:10
In Vino Veritas

Pretty sure there is a thread on this topic...

But since no one wants to search it I'll just be lazy too. Right now I'm running a Garmin Forerunner 920XT with chest strap.

Biggest pluses are ease of naving between bike, running, and running indoors. I can swim with it but just haven't been swimming lately. It locks GPS better than past Garmins and I can change the data read out to suit my needs better.

Lately it hasn't been locking the HR monitor when I bike for some reason. I squirt some water down my jersey for connectivity (calm down AZATTY) but no luck. While I'm more conserved with the HR function when running (which has been flawless) it's a little annoying.

I have to agree with Tracy, unless you're trying to train for something (like being awesome such as myself) just roll a watch. However, I need data points to track progress. I've also found that in somethings it's better to go whole hog and get functions you may not need right now but in the future.
Old 30 April 2017, 18:15
Authorized Personnel

For close to a year, I used the Samsung Health app that resided on my phone to monitor all kinds of stuff. I found that I spent an inordinate time focusing on what the app was telling me and not enough time focusing on what my body was telling me. I finally ditched the app (nuked it from my phone) and started paying more attention to my body; I run until it "almost" hurts, then I stop.

I think the apps and watches may be great for some people, but they didn't provide me any value.
Old 30 April 2017, 21:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
For close to a year, I used the Samsung Health app that resided on my phone to monitor all kinds of stuff. I found that I spent an inordinate time focusing on what the app was telling me and not enough time focusing on what my body was telling me. I finally ditched the app (nuked it from my phone) and started paying more attention to my body; I run until it "almost" hurts, then I stop.

I think the apps and watches may be great for some people, but they didn't provide me any value.
I tried that with my work Samsung...until the phone took a dump during one of our "updates" and the app stopped working. I'll be on my feet all day, walking around for 8 hours and it'll say I've got 4,000 steps.
Old 2 May 2017, 20:30
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Pretty sure there is a thread on this topic...
Did a quick keyword search and didn't find one. If so, I would like to find it, but lots of good info here! Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelocks View Post
I have a refurb Garmin Vivo HR that I picked up on Amazon for $60. My work has a health program that rewards specific health goals including monitoring steps, HR, and activities.
Exactly. Our work is similar and there's a group (40 or so) of us competing.

If I can work up to 12+mi/day I can start throwing down 1M steps/mo. I'm averaging well over half that, and just started getting serious about 5weeks ago. Before that I was just doing around 3mi a few times per week...and staying 15-20lbs fat-ish. Fucking finally starting to drop those last inches, and at my age I know that's more from pushing the (anerobic part) stairs and rower than anything.

I've just been using the (excellent) cellphone app for step/mile count, but running with it in the front pocket is a pain in the ass and I'm not sure of the accuracy of the cellphone-armbands unless I maybe go to GPS tracking. A refurb Garmin watch may be an excellent solution.

The other idea was the Heartrate function, as i like to push that on the stairs/rower as much as possible (maxing around 158 - 160ish currently), and also watch the recovery time, slowly improving. It would be nice to have a constant HR monitor and charting application, as well as an accurate resting heartrate.
Old 2 May 2017, 20:44
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonyea View Post
I am 67 and still doing road work during the week. My Dr said" let pain be your guide". She has a sense of humor !
Fuck yeah, you and my 70+ buddy at work who shoots (very well!) USPSA and 3-gun and Steel, damn near every Sunday, are my inspirations! Good work! That leaves 1 sunday/mo for the dirtbike!
Old 2 May 2017, 22:22
Been There Done That

I have the Garmin Fenix 3 HR. I use it mostly for telling time but it is good to see the trends when my fat ass does anything that actually takes a considerable amount of effort.

The watch won't make you faster, stronger, etc but it is a tool that will assist in tracking your progress or give you feedback so you can set goals.

I am a big fan of the phone notifications and the alerts to move if I've been sitting around too long. I'm not a dedicated athlete anymore since I've retired but I also don't want to completely decline. Getting up and moving around helps.

Our new posting rules