SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 28 June 2017, 21:43
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
One thing that might help when you're choosing foods is to look at net carbs, not total carbs.

Net carbs = total carbs - dietary fiber.
I was just kind of learning this. For example, if I understand this correctly most beans are okay for me because even though technically high in "carbs" most of it is fiber. I love beans and rice, and I saw on your excellent keto pages where they make a simulated "rice" made from cauliflower that could substitute quite nicely if mixed with some beans and small amount of lowfat cheese. These kind of "substitutions" will help greatly.

Did I mention, f#@k that kale, but I like the chard, and it's cheap. I have slashed my food bill buying more vegetables...now if I could just eat more of them. And, it is funny I can taste food again instead of burning tastebuds out with junk-sugars. The cravings went away pretty quickly (2-3days), and now most of that stuff sounds about as appetizing as taking molasses-shooters with a cold-frappa-cheeto chaser. The Atkins shakes seem okay (and taste decent), but their snack-bars are still to high in sugars for now. I've got to find some protein bars with high fiber and low sugar that don't taste like a dime and two pennies (metallic). I did (finally) find a good-tasting protein powder (finally) with the Isopure Zero cookies-n-cream and a spoonfull of cinnamon mixed in, with flax and chia. Good stuff. I also throw in a 1/2 spoon of olive oil too. Daily fish-oil or krill capsule.
Old 29 June 2017, 00:58
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
simulated "rice" made from cauliflower
I've tried this; I think it was Green Giant from Walmart. It's OK. You definitely don't want to eat it by itself. Mixed with something is decent though.
Old 29 June 2017, 01:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
I love beans and rice, and I saw on your excellent keto pages where they make a simulated "rice" made from cauliflower that could substitute quite nicely if mixed with some beans and small amount of lowfat cheese. These kind of "substitutions" will help greatly.
We don't make rice but we make a number of substitute base carbs from broccoli (think it taste better than the cauliflower after having made both - either works) - we make pizza dough, nachos, etc from it. Not bad and easy to make yourself.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 29 June 2017, 05:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
I was just kind of learning this. For example, if I understand this correctly most beans are okay for me because even though technically high in "carbs" most of it is fiber. I love beans and rice, and I saw on your excellent keto pages where they make a simulated "rice" made from cauliflower that could substitute quite nicely if mixed with some beans and small amount of lowfat cheese. These kind of "substitutions" will help greatly.

Did I mention, f#@k that kale, but I like the chard, and it's cheap. I have slashed my food bill buying more vegetables...now if I could just eat more of them. And, it is funny I can taste food again instead of burning tastebuds out with junk-sugars. The cravings went away pretty quickly (2-3days), and now most of that stuff sounds about as appetizing as taking molasses-shooters with a cold-frappa-cheeto chaser. The Atkins shakes seem okay (and taste decent), but their snack-bars are still to high in sugars for now. I've got to find some protein bars with high fiber and low sugar that don't taste like a dime and two pennies (metallic). I did (finally) find a good-tasting protein powder (finally) with the Isopure Zero cookies-n-cream and a spoonfull of cinnamon mixed in, with flax and chia. Good stuff. I also throw in a 1/2 spoon of olive oil too. Daily fish-oil or krill capsule.
Go to your local Asian grocery store and get some Chinese Broccoli and Bok Choy. Very tasty. Some sweet onions also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 29 June 2017, 08:30
#BlackRiflesMatter

Outstanding^! With things like this as possible good alternatives, this will turn out to be a huge blessing! It's already been a serious wake-up call about life priorities, the "career", etc. Between that health screening and the roadwork competition motivation, I owe that company a LOT! So, I turned in my "two-week" notice yesterday (for a 90day LOA...LOLOLLL!) to check into the EMT-Basic and related opportunities, restock the kitchen, bloodwork, etc... Enough 6x6 cubical hell, it'll kill me slowly (mentally) if I let it. Need something with some brotherhood where people have each others backs. Something with less overall corporate "cun#iness" on a daily basis. No other word for it, really.

Last edited by Tycon; 29 June 2017 at 08:41.
Old 29 June 2017, 11:43
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Need something with some brotherhood where people have each others backs.
Not to sound like a bitch, but "good luck with that". Very few of those positions around anymore IME.
Old 29 June 2017, 13:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Not to sound like a bitch, but "good luck with that". Very few of those positions around anymore IME.
Yeah, I did not find that to be the case with the Fire Dept/EMT service at all. Just like every where else. Some good, some bad. Found there to be more backstabbing, gossips and bitching in the Fire Dept. more than just about anywhere else I have worked. You may find the EMT service to be very drainful also, since about 80% of runs these days are drug related (Meth or Heroin), or assisting the 400 pound diabetic in govt. subsidized housing. But, there are those few and far between runs where you do save someone's life, that is meaningful.

And yeah, all jobs have there issues.

But, Tycon, I agree with you in that you need to take care of your health first and first most, and enjoy like first and foremost. Too many sacrifice themselves for money, or stay in careers/jobs for profit sake, while not just enjoying what is important in life. Sometimes better to cut back, live more simply, enjoy the simple things in life, pursue your dreams, spend time in nature, relax, get caught up in your reading, travel, etc. than the ultimate pursuit of the dollar. Americans have a propensity to not take enough time off, their life revolves around their work. When it should be family, faith, health, your hobbies, enjoying life. Just make enough to take care of those. People think you need the 3,500 sq ft house, when the 1,500 sq foot house would be adequate and allow one a better lifestyle.

I am at the same point you are as well, need to really watch what I eat, take care of my health, live more simple life.

In terms of veggies, try some Eggplant also.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 29 June 2017, 15:48
Another pool cleaner

Amen to your priorities, LP.

I gave up a career in Academic Medicine, a Chief Resident position, and a chance to be Department Director so that I could be there for my wife and family. My sanity, health, friends and family are more meaningful than any employment, title, or desk.

I give my job meaning, not the other way.
Old 29 June 2017, 19:20
Been There Done That

Fuck we (and I include me as I have these same issues) sound like a bunch of old geezers!

Best of luck.
Old 29 June 2017, 22:38
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Sometimes better to cut back, live more simply, enjoy the simple things in life, pursue your dreams, spend time in nature, relax, get caught up in your reading, travel, etc. than the ultimate pursuit of the dollar. Americans have a propensity to not take enough time off, their life revolves around their work. When it should be family, faith, health, your hobbies, enjoying life. Just make enough to take care of those. People think you need the 3,500 sq ft house, when the 1,500 sq foot house would be adequate and allow one a better lifestyle.

I am at the same point you are as well, need to really watch what I eat, take care of my health, live more simple life.
Exactly^, I could not have said it better LP! We just slashed costs from 3600 on the golf-course to 1200sqft with 2-car reloading/golf cart/woodshop (garage, what garage?), a full-length covered rowing-machine patio with bar out back...with fenced dirtbike-parking-dog-patrol area in back of that, and a five citrus tree small grove behind that (need 2 avacado trees in between 'em!). Shoot, I have everything I need, except the time to enjoy (hell, unpack) it. I might even plant some damn roses for the wife to go with her green onions and lemongrass. Maybe a small greenhouse inside the patio. First 2 weeks are bloodwork, housework, and continued roadwork. LOL! And very SERIOUS grocery pantry/refridge rennovation. Bob's Keto links look spot-on perfect.

Last edited by Tycon; 29 June 2017 at 23:08.
Old 29 June 2017, 23:17
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Fuck we (and I include me as I have these same issues) sound like a bunch of old geezers!
First Colonoscopy on the 21st! Yikes! LOLOLLL! At age 55...I may have been avoiding it for awhile. Scheduled it on the first week off along with the bloodwork. Doctor said it's a GREAT detox. LOLOL!

I gotta trade him in for a female doctor before the next prostate exam. (see if she can cure this FU sense of humor).
Old 29 June 2017, 23:44
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
We don't make rice but we make a number of substitute base carbs from broccoli (think it taste better than the cauliflower after having made both - either works) - we make pizza dough, nachos, etc from it. Not bad and easy to make yourself.
Will definitely be looking into this. Bob's keto pages also had some vegetable "flour" ideas too. This is turning out to be a blessing in disguise, for sure! Seriously, Right-on Type2!
Old 30 June 2017, 06:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
First Colonoscopy on the 21st! Yikes! LOLOLLL! At age 55...I may have been avoiding it for awhile. Scheduled it on the first week off along with the bloodwork. Doctor said it's a GREAT detox. LOLOL!
Weigh yourself before you start your cleanse, then again before you head to the doctor's office. My first scope, I lost 12 pounds. Disturbing how much crap came out.
Quote:
I gotta trade him in for a female doctor before the next prostate exam. (see if she can cure this FU sense of humor).
Our family doctor is a cute young Jamaican lady.
Old 30 June 2017, 09:34
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Our nurse at work had to give me "clearance" to return, and mentioned that a lot of the cholesterol problems clear-up without statins when the blood glucose finally gets under control. I hope so. I know everyone is different, but this is great to share common themes, trouble-shooting. If nothing else it helps form better questions for my next total-15-minutes of the doctor's 80% full-attention.
Something to keep in mind is that part of your cholesterol problem may be hereditary, and only extreme amounts of meds/diet/exercise are going to get you below that certain level. Also, even if your blood pressure gets down to the normal range, you will still need a very small dose of lisinopril or a similar bp med to protect your kidneys from being damaged by the diabetes.

You can go all kale/paleo/vegan/exermonster, but that tends to lead to burnout, and too often burnout results in a "oh screw it" attitude that leads to relapse - sort of like a fatty going on an extreme diet/exercise plan will eventually burn out and hit the Krispy Kreme drive thru.

Unless you are a master of will power, a protocol more likely to lead to long term success is simple moderation. Just some sustained walking will get you most of the chemical benefits that jogging or running would. Make sweets a rare treat (one donut a month won't kill you), cut back on fried foods (fried chicken or a hamburger once a week isn't too bad for you), replace some of your red meat intake with grilled or baked fish (shrimp should be only an occasional treat due to cholesterol), cut back on bread and pasta (but not completely, you still need some carbs for fuel), and try to replace starchy veggies with leafy ones (less beans and peas, more collards and turnips and mustard greens, but no kale, please). Learn to eat something every four hours or so, even if that means multiple small meals instead of the traditional three big ones, and if you are stuck on the three meal plan due to work or whatever just learn to snack to maintain your glucose level so it doesn't climb and dive on your like a roller coaster during the day.

It's roughly an 80/20 ratio: 80% of your health improvement will be due to what goes into your mouth, and 20% will be due to what you did with your muscles. It won't matter how much you exercise if your diet consists of cocoa puffs, and no matter how great your diet is you won't improve your blood chemistry more than 80% toward your goal if you stay on the sofa. Therefore, even if your are injured and stuck on the sofa, you can still solve most of your issues with just diet.

I take 500mg metformin once a day. If my body was more capable of exercise (both ankles and both shoulders are worn out, among other things), and if I was a little stricter in my diet, I could probably do without the metformin. My a1c stays in the mid-6 range and morning sugar levels are usually about 130. If during the day my sugar goes over 160, I can tell it because I start to notice a headache. If my sugar goes below 100, I start to feel tired and sluggish. If my sugar goes below 90, I feel like I've been run over by a truck. If my sugar is a bit high, walking around and being more physically active brings it down and I feel better. If my sugar is a bit low, eating a small amount of something carby to hold me over until the next meal is sufficient. Once you get used to doing it, you can pretty well self regulate.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 30 June 2017, 11:10
#BlackRiflesMatter

Great Post! ^^ You are spot on.

I definitely can't go vegan, because I seriously enjoy a Steak, Roast Beef, Eggs, and Cheese too much to even consider it. And thankfully even though I don't get Steak-fries with that anymore (except eventually moderation after it all stabilizes), Hell, I am just overjoyed I still get the Steak itself.

Don't cook a lot (yet!), so I started looking into temporary solutions that could fall inside the "low-carb" solution and that led me to the Adkins stuff (almost duplicates the Keto). The shakes are good enough (between 1 - 3 "net carbs" each), that I can get by on one for breakfast and one for lunch, while snacking on almonds and 1/2 avacado during the day. Also occasionally do a couple spoons of peanut-butter, mixed with cinnamon and chia. All of those I LOVE so it's not to much of a sacrifice.

I walk two miles in the morning, and two at lunch, so that gets me through the day. (then run/walk/intervals in the evenings, before bed to get the heartrate up in the 165 range intervals, which is pretty good for 55yrs). It has now become an obsession, and dropped 17lbs BEFORE the new diet. Pushed past the burnout stage, and now I can't do without it. (Addicted to the Endorphins again now, I guess! LOL!)

The ONE real meal I have is after I get home, has been having lean meat (chicken, fish, trimmed pork-chops, steak, or eggs) mixed with as much steamed brocc, squash, spinich, chard, and/or cooked cabbage that I can eat. Funny, but I've gotten my taste for vegetables back, especially with a little cheese sprinkled on it, or real butter/garlic. Occasionally mustard, cream cheese, or black pepper to season the meats/eggs. LOVE all of that, so not to bad. I DON"T seem to have any of the 8-9pm sweet cravings either anymore. In fact, most of the "junk" doesn't even sound good anymore. About as attractive to me now as drinking molassis would be. But a good protein bar (still looking) with zero sugar would be great after the 8pm walk/run. Usually now, it's just a (small) handfull of macadamias and an Isopure Zero protein shake.

Don't have the urge to even "cheat" now, but I DO one day on the weekends. I go to our local salad-bar restaurant once per weekend and eat a huge "unlimited" salad (with beans, corn, carrots, etc.) and I'll add a bowl of chili and a pizza slice. Seems I'm not missing the "sweets" as much as the starches.

Once I stabilize (doing this <25gC per day thing) my goal is to do exactly what you are saying and be able to cut back to 500mg Metformin (from current 500mg @ 2/day), and start bringing a small amount of starches back into the mix. I'm mixing in a little on the weekends now, on the "cheat meal" just to make sure I get SOME starches.

They way I understand it, it takes a while for your body to quit counting on the sugar for energy, and convert to the fats as an energy source. This is that "stabilization period" I'm going through where I'm a little more sore/aches from the roadwork. I cut back a little bit during this time because I don't want to have acidosis issues, which can also be a side effect of the metformin/BP that I have to watch out for. Got some saliva PH strips ordered last night. But, I am going to work back from the 4-5miles/day I cut back to (less running these last few weeks, but still walking)...to get back up to the 8-10mi including the intervals. For the second time this year, I need to buy several pairs of smaller waist-size pants! PROGRESS! I don't even look at the scale, and only learned about the 17lbs at the doctors office. LOL!

DO look forward to the cheat day pizza slice, but with many of the substitute flours and stuff on Bob's keto pages, I may just be able to keep up with the food-side of the equation too, and not get burned out on that part of it.

Last edited by Tycon; 30 June 2017 at 11:30.
Old 30 June 2017, 11:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Will definitely be looking into this. Bob's keto pages also had some vegetable "flour" ideas too. This is turning out to be a blessing in disguise, for sure! Seriously, Right-on Type2!
I don't do it for type 2 and to be honest NEVER thought I'd like it. The g/f started with nachos and then moved to pizza. She makes all sorts of flour based stuff from califlower and the beter tasting brocoli (which of course is green)

She also buys spagetti made from manioc (sometimes labelled as mandioca) which is about 40% of the calories of regular spagetti and, while a tiny bit stiffer when cooked, to me, tastes just as good if not better.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 30 June 2017, 15:35
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
I don't do it for type 2 and to be honest NEVER thought I'd like it. The g/f started with nachos and then moved to pizza. She makes all sorts of flour based stuff from califlower and the beter tasting brocoli (which of course is green)

She also buys spagetti made from manioc (sometimes labelled as mandioca) which is about 40% of the calories of regular spagetti and, while a tiny bit stiffer when cooked, to me, tastes just as good if not better.
I think these "substitutes" are going to keep me from going crazy, and/or getting "burned out" on the healthy diet.

SPAGETTI is something I've been missing, and I did see there are "tofu" noodles, but knowing that Soy products aren't good for a guy, I won't even give those a try. Even if I boiled them with a hint of sauce/garlic in the water for flavor, like I used to do regular spagetti noodles...it's freakin' Tofu...that goes straight next to the Kale department for me (shitcan it). LOL!

But, there's got to be a low-carb spagetti-noodle solution of some kind. I did find 1g net-carb bagels (almond flour) today I'll have to check out.

Eating Peanut-Butter+Chia/Flax right now after the lunch-walk, this mix is as good as ice-cream! I use baby-spoons I buy in @ 10-for-a-dollar package at the dollar store for the tiny cup I mix it here at my desk at work. LOL! Secrets of the old-man who's kicking your ass, millennials. Bwwaahahahaha! (Till they find me dead on the parking garage stairs in 110deg heat! Dumb-ass!).

I never say a word...just go do it. The sport-watch tracks it all, and uploads it to the company web-page.
F#@k it, better than to die in the cubicle, beaten (and cowering with corporate fear) like the rest of them.
The boss worries, but has learned to leave me alone. That, alone, is worth it. Not a bad guy...just cun#y.

2 more weeks, and next week has a holiday. LOL! I can DO this.

Last edited by Tycon; 30 June 2017 at 15:55.
Old 30 June 2017, 15:45
Confirmed User

Quote:

I thought the exact same thing. Wife made a pizza using cauliflower and it was really good. She also got me eating squash noodles they are really good especially with some hot pepper flakes, garlic and olive oil.

I brought my A1C down from 12.2 to 8.5 in around a year. One of the things I did was added beans to everything i could. They are supposed to be a super food for diabetics. I mostly use kidney beans or great northern.
Old 30 June 2017, 18:09
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
She also got me eating squash noodles they are really good especially with some hot pepper flakes, garlic and olive oil.
Hell YES! There's my Spaghetti solution! You guys ROCK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wezREdbQCo

Quote:
Eating Peanut-Butter+Chia/Flax right now after the lunch-walk, this mix is as good as ice-cream!
^^I will switch to an almond-butter+Chia-Flax mix as soon as I run out of Peanut Butter.

Last edited by Tycon; 30 June 2017 at 18:15.
Old 30 June 2017, 21:35
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
and I did see there are "tofu" noodles, but knowing that Soy products aren't good for a guy, I won't even give those a try.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/search?q=shirataki&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all

Our new posting rules