SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 1 July 2017, 05:58
Sardonic fattist

It's not for me to preach health stuff to others but STRICT keto and intermittent fasting (mostly one meal a day unless I feel like a second one now and then) changed my life on a remarkable scale. Lost a massive body fat percentage and reversed a host of health issues. Even skin cancer on my chest has disappeared (touch wood). Very important to include bucket loads of greens in thr keto diet, particularly for potassium. I adjust my greens according to my prevailing symptoms rather than taking supplements or pharmaceuticals. I started at Dr Eric Berg's YT channel and added a bit of other info since then. Massive bullshit filter needed on YT though so one needs to be selective.
Side note: Try Nutritional Yeast for B vitimins and energy boost. Really nice stuff. I sprinkle on my granddaughter's food and she runs around like an energiser bunny.

Last edited by Soutpiel; 1 July 2017 at 06:12.
Old 1 July 2017, 20:49
#BlackRiflesMatter

Pizza Crust, Spaghetti Noodles, and Taco Shells substitutes...I may be able to successfully stick to this Type 2 / Keto thing without suffering at all. I have zero sweets cravings, but have been missing the starches. Off to find the ingrediants to try these out!

Pizza
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBEa...8#t=124.777931

Tortillas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgm8Fp1wqdQ

Bisquits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_dP...s#t=216.884778
Old 3 July 2017, 13:04
#BlackRiflesMatter

This is a Goldmine of Keto taste-tested-recipes. There's pancakes, bread, and alternatives to many of the other typical "starches" that are a no-no on the Type2/Keto type diets.

I tested the cheesy-bisquits (linked in post above^^) this weekend (twice!) and they are (IMO) better than the normal wheat-based flour type bisquits.
3 minutes in microwave/coffee cup. Amazing!

Here's their link...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11vTb4PCCoJAfg

Good stuff!
Old 24 October 2017, 14:50
BTDT

True Ketogenic diets (about 90% F and 10% combined P + C, with C below about 20g) can help with some disease states related to the brain - but have no advantage for fat loss when energy equated with any other macro type diet. Appetite control from the ketones, and water loss from depleted glycogen is why people think they are great for fat loss. Energy balance (kcals) rules the day - always.

It will also increase physiologic insulin resistance, believe it or not. Low Carb is fine, but Keto is a starvation mode adaptation that get's too much hype, IMO.

I've done it, so I could talk about it intelligently - and that includes using a blood ketone meter to check Beta-hydroxybutyrate levels. The piss sticks are useless. Had to drop daily protein to under 50g, because Gluconeogenesis was having a sugar-making field day with the usual 200g of protein. I laugh when "gym bros" say they just don't eat carbs but still eat their 1g per pound of bodyweight protein "doing keto", LOL.

I'm sure this will get some heat, but the science is in!
Old 24 October 2017, 18:39
Administrator

Poly who? Nice to see you back on here, homeslice.....

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 24 October 2017, 20:27
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
True Ketogenic diets (about 90% F and 10% combined P + C, with C below about 20g) can help with some disease states related to the brain - but have no advantage for fat loss when energy equated with any other macro type diet. Appetite control from the ketones, and water loss from depleted glycogen is why people think they are great for fat loss. Energy balance (kcals) rules the day - always.

It will also increase physiologic insulin resistance, believe it or not. Low Carb is fine, but Keto is a starvation mode adaptation that get's too much hype, IMO.

I've done it, so I could talk about it intelligently - and that includes using a blood ketone meter to check Beta-hydroxybutyrate levels. The piss sticks are useless. Had to drop daily protein to under 50g, because Gluconeogenesis was having a sugar-making field day with the usual 200g of protein. I laugh when "gym bros" say they just don't eat carbs but still eat their 1g per pound of bodyweight protein "doing keto", LOL.

I'm sure this will get some heat, but the science is in!
No heat from here Polypro, I've found exactly what you are saying is true. From my experience.

The full-on keto was great initially to get the blood sugar under control. But I'm finding that a "modified" Keto, where I'm cycling in a few healthy carbs (beans, potatos) a couple times a week has been beneficial.

Under full keto, I was happy to see my morning blood glucose levels around 120. Not at all "perfect" but much better than the crazy numbers I started with. And if (the first few weeks) I cheated it would stay elevated (160-180) for a day or two, before slowly coming down.

Now, with cycling in a few starches just a couple times per week, it's more around 105, and if I "cheat" it's back down the very next morning. I think the occasional good starch (not processed bullshit) is a good thing.

So, I'm still doing mostly keto...(bulletproof coffee for breakfast, keto lunch, small keto dinner, etc) but allowing a few healthy starches a couple times per week. And also funny is that even though it may kick me out of ketosis...I'm sill not getting the "afternoon drowsies" at 2pm, or the keto fleu I used to get the first couple times of cycling in and out. It seems to be the best of keto, but still keeps the rest of the system "awake" so-to-speak.

Last edited by Tycon; 24 October 2017 at 20:42.
Old 24 October 2017, 20:42
Confirmed User

My wife had bariatrich surgery, after a couple of weeks, her blood pressure, diabetes 2 et al disappeared within after op, we got it accepted on medical insurance as health and not cosmetic.
She needs a B12 injection once a year but she's happy, not as fat, and vastly more energetic.
Just an idea.
Old 24 October 2017, 20:49
#BlackRiflesMatter

Another thing I noticed about full-keto was the difficulty in getting the "proper" potassium each day, especially in relation to the increased salt of the typical keto diet.

I got REAL tired of multi-avacados each day...real quick. I used to love 'em. Now it's kinda like force feeding green mush. No thanks. I think I'm ruined on avacados for life, now. bleh.

And 10+cups of spinach/kale/whatever/day got kind of old too. That's initially why I added the occasional beans. (LOVE a good homemade healthy chili!) And it's turned out to be much BETTER for the glucose levels. The high fiber keeps beans low glycemic, apparently. And a super-good potassium source.

Last edited by Tycon; 24 October 2017 at 21:03.
Old 24 October 2017, 20:55
Been There Done That

Tycon, give a couple days sample keto diet meal plan if you don't mind. The problem I see, is his to you keep the carbs low, almost non existent, and keep protein not so high. Just eating heavy fat. What do you eat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 24 October 2017, 21:43
#BlackRiflesMatter

You got it bro. Here's a typical day:

4:30-5am - Keto (bulletproof coffee). Coffee, 1spoon butter. 2spoons MCT or coconut oil. cinnamon, heavy cream, blended. Fucking so good I jump out of bed at 4:30 just to get some! LOL! (I shit you not!)

2-3 mile walk/run (intervals), crunches, stairs, quick minimum 6min+ (usually 12-15ish) rowing machine. ShitShineShowerShave, Off to (back to) MF work. Cubicle hell, but WTF. As long as I stay lean and moving (and -always- CYA) I'm a hard target to pin down, bitches!

Lunch walk/parking garage stairs (downtown, ASU campus, scenery is good for the old guy's heart...LOL!). Average 2miles+parking garage stairs, right at 30minutes. Then 2 HB eggs at desk. Plenty of water. Small amount of peanut butter. Like 2spoons.

Dinner around 5-7pm. Keto meal from a combination of these recipes. Lassagna (sausage, cheese, layers of spinnich, instead of pasta), Bacon&eggs, etc. Get creative from these recipes...(love these two kids >>, probably saved my life! LOL!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3OF...11vTb4PCCoJAfg

Adding in beans (usually homemade chili-cheese, or bone-broth-bean soup) and sweet potatoes a couple times/week. Also 8oz skim milk (mixed with 1/4 cup heavy cream) also for the potassium.

Evening workout...was doing 4 more miles of roadwork, but taking it easy on the feet (left over neuropathy pain), and doing 5+ miles on the mountain bike instead. Average speed currently aroung 14-15mph. Working toward 25mph. Evening ride (fast as I can push) in the dark with a headlamp! Retirement community...everyone's asleep by 9pm, and I'm like a speeding ghost! LOL!

Finally tired/crash sometime between 11:30pm and 1am.

Last edited by Tycon; 24 October 2017 at 22:12.
Old 24 October 2017, 22:00
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
First Colonoscopy on the 21st! Yikes! LOLOLLL! At age 55...I may have been avoiding it for awhile. Scheduled it on the first week off along with the bloodwork. Doctor said it's a GREAT detox. LOLOL!

I gotta trade him in for a female doctor before the next prostate exam. (see if she can cure this FU sense of humor).
Tell them you want it done without being knocked out.... That way you can watch the whole thing on the monitor.

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 24 October 2017, 22:02
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
Tell them you want it done without being knocked out.... That way you can watch the whole thing on the monitor.
I woke up twice during mine. I got to watch a total of about five or six seconds worth of it before going nite-nite again.
Old 24 October 2017, 22:08
Been There Done That

Due to pre-cancerous cells, I usually get scoped in both directions. I'm out for the count. If someone is going to be sticking tools up my ass or down my throat, I don't want to be awake. Plausible deniability. Thread is a good reminder that us old goats need to get scoped on a regular basis.

Tycon - my read on your sleeping habits is that you are not getting enough shut eye.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 24 October 2017, 22:35
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Tycon - my read on your sleeping habits is that you are not getting enough shut eye.
I agree bro! It's the fuckin left over foot neuropathy makes it impossible to doze off. My first experience with chronic pain and what a humbling eye opener! NSAIDs don't work (and FU the kidneys anyway), and I refuse to let the MFs start me on Opiods! I'm an obsessive-compulsive bastard anyway! I know me...I'd be fucked.

So, I'm slowly learning to embrace the pain (actually remembering how to like it...reminds me I'm alive). It's slowly improving and some nights I get even 5hrs. Funny, but when I was on high carbs I'd be wiped out with less than 6.5-7 hrs. I also do liquid vitimin/minerals and lots of fish oil (like 4g). B-complex and ginko (all in the am with coffee). I don't seem to need as much with good diet and exercise. Lots of spinich and chard smoothies, bone broth, some beans, etc. Not ALL pure fat.

Stabilized now at 172 (I'm 5'-8), which is down from like 239 at my sloothiest desk-pushing self, and finally got pissed-off. Weighed about the same 168-172ish when was in my best construction-worker shape. But then, my balls were bigger then too. LOL!

LP, for lunch at work...HB eggs gets swapped out for chicken legs, or other keto stuff. Not always HB eggs...that's just they're always available at the cafeteria. Some coffee (2cups max) during the day, with only real cream or 1/2-n-1/2, and cinnamon. If I stay away from sugar...I don't seem to get tired.

Last edited by Tycon; 24 October 2017 at 23:02.
Old 25 October 2017, 01:50
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
You got it bro. Here's a typical day.
Hardcore. Well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
If someone is going to be sticking tools up my ass or down my throat, I don't want to be awake.
Fucking A.
Old 25 October 2017, 07:38

Quote:
It's the fuckin left over foot neuropathy makes it impossible to doze off. My first experience with chronic pain and what a humbling eye opener! NSAIDs don't work (and FU the kidneys anyway), and I refuse to let the MFs start me on Opiods! I'm an obsessive-compulsive bastard anyway!
Agree on Fubar's sleep comment.
Tycon, have you discussed with your PCP trying pregabalin, or at least night-time/PRN/occ use of gabapentin for your foot pain? Yeah, the list of SE is the usual scary stuff, but several folks I know get acceptable improvements with minimal adverse effects and much better (quantity and quality) sleep patterns on what seem to be low doses of PM gabapentin, not even everyday usage.

YMMV and if you've tried w/o improvement, drive on, and good job on your motivation of diet and exercise.
DaveP
Old 25 October 2017, 08:49
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Hardcore. Well done.
Thanks bro, it surprising how easy it's become. And I'm lucky the wife is low maintenance (and trustworthy LOL!) and I can take the time. Many (most) folks have social and time commitments that would get in the way. Fucking just having to "cook" takes a lot. But, I'm starting to see a (very) few commercial keto-style options start to become available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
YMMV and if you've tried w/o improvement, drive on, and good job on your motivation of diet and exercise.
DaveP
Dave, thank you. I will definitely look into it. Also going to try some laser light therapy soon, that evidently stimulates more blood flow to the nerves, for faster healing. Hopefully.
Old 25 October 2017, 10:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
No. Just.....no.

#propofolforthewin

@Tycon, great job!
Old 25 October 2017, 14:26
Sardonic fattist

Try DIY accupressure on yourself to unwind when you get into bed. It helped me start sleeping well.
Old 25 October 2017, 17:25
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soutpiel View Post
Try DIY accupressure on yourself to unwind when you get into bed. It helped me start sleeping well.
I've got one of those cheap vibrating foot messagers (like $5 at the thrift shop) and combined with a good cold soak, it calms the burning sensations enough to get to sleep, if I'm already exhausted enough. Maybe I need some serious (hypothermic) "surf therapy" LOL! That's probably what I'm missing, along with some grinding wet sand in my boots?

I have to say this has been a real eye opener about the mental strength it takes to deal with constant chronic pain for months at a time. And I'm sure there are many folks here (on SOCNET) that deal with that day in-day out...with much more severity than mine. Hell, I'm just a pampered AF wuss.

I've gained a whole new level of respect for those folks!!!

Our new posting rules