SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 3 February 2018, 16:03
Confirmed User

What exercise/calorie burn apps do you use?

Did a 3.5 mile walk in 59 minutes today, three different calcs, LoseIt = 420, MayFitnessPal=449, MapMyFitness=556. I think UA owns the last two so not sure about the divergence. Hell, I'm probably overthinking it, instead of focusing on the intake and just doing workouts but a diff of 130 is like 1 1/2 Ultras:)
Old 4 February 2018, 06:48
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post
What exercise/calorie burn apps do you use?

Did a 3.5 mile walk in 59 minutes today, three different calcs, LoseIt = 420, MayFitnessPal=449, MapMyFitness=556. I think UA owns the last two so not sure about the divergence. Hell, I'm probably overthinking it, instead of focusing on the intake and just doing workouts but a diff of 130 is like 1 1/2 Ultras:)
I've never, ever tried to calculate energy expenditure - it's a moving target that only a hospital metabolic ward can truly measure. Just train consistently and base your energy intake on the TDEE formulas, adjusting by raising or lowering food depending on the caliper/scale/tape-measure. If you want to drink beer, allow for the calories in your total - on the days you don't drink, just replace with some Carbs or Protein.

You can actually eat or drink anything as long as you track and stay under your limit (for fat loss) - a deficit is a deficit and you can't store fat if you're eating fewer kcals than your body needs. But make sure you are meeting your macro's and getting all your micros (Vitamins/Minerals/Phytonutrients).

Also, Alcohol is 7kcal/g and your body immediately stops everything (fat loss/muscle protein synthesis) to get rid of it. It also causes greater Estrogen production in males because it increases the activity of the enzyme that makes Estrogen out of Testosterone, called the Aromatase Enzyme - this obviously also lowers Free Testosterone levels.
Old 4 February 2018, 09:18
Confirmed User

Thanks Poly.
Old 4 February 2018, 09:30
Animal Tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Also, Alcohol is 7kcal/g and your body immediately stops everything (fat loss/muscle protein synthesis) to get rid of it. It also causes greater Estrogen production in males because it increases the activity of the enzyme that makes Estrogen out of Testosterone, called the Aromatase Enzyme - this obviously also lowers Free Testosterone levels.
So me sipping on a few Crown and Diet Coke a few evenings a week is hurting my fat loss while I am off the carbs even though it has no carbs?
Old 4 February 2018, 10:22
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
So me sipping on a few Crown and Diet Coke a few evenings a week is hurting my fat loss while I am off the carbs even though it has no carbs?
I donít know all that sciencie shit about what happens when the body metabolizes alcohol. I just know that if I want to drop weight the best thing I can do is cut out alcohol, 100%.
Old 4 February 2018, 11:22
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I did this after seeing Poly in person and followed what he said above. Its really works well. sadly, I went on an extended OCONUS trip, got injured and well, throw in a few more excuses. The cool part is I ate what I wanted, was never hungry and really what it came down to for me was just understanding how much I really ate when I prepared a meal. Time to follow Poly's lead again. Bonne Chance fellas. I did well with my kettle bell exercises that used multiple major muscle groups.
My sister (who is 61) lost 50 lbs with a very similar methodology. She used a fitbit to track her chow and exercise.

So, I bought a smart watch that does the same thing. I have been tracking my chow and the watch tells me when to get up and move. I have really been office bound lately, so I get up and do 10 goblet squats and 20 swings. Sometimes I walk to the mailbox with HH6's wiener dog. I have been using the belt method of measuring progress. yesterday, I was working on the greenhouse and had my chore pants on with "the Belt" after just a week plus the belt popped right into place.

Now if I can only stay away from the chips during this hockey game thingy today......
Old 4 February 2018, 11:25
Confirmed User

"It also causes greater Estrogen production in males"

So beer is gonna make me trans? Thanks for sharing on Super Bowl Sunday
Old 4 February 2018, 12:04
Been There Done That

Quote:

No, but if that estrogen is out of balance with your testosterone, you might cry during the flag ceremony. Getting out of balance is a bitch - literally.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 4 February 2018, 12:35
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
So beer is gonna make me trans?
If beer made people trans I would make Chelsea Manning look manly.
Old 4 February 2018, 21:43
Confirmed User

I've read a few places that alcohol reduces fat burning by 30%. Add that to caloric intake the last hour or two before bedtime and you are really inhibiting weight loss in my opinion.
Old 5 February 2018, 07:58
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
Your body is utilizing and storing fat, and building and tearing down muscle - 24/7. What we are after, is a net loss/gain at the end of the day/week/month. Alcohol is a poison, so the body immediately starts oxidizing it until it is gone. While this is occurring, it obviously isn't utilizing any fat for energy. As long as you stay in a deficit, you won't *gain* any fat, and may even still lose some - but with the alcohol, it won't be as much as you could have. It all depends on how much, and how often you consume it. 1 drink 2x/week probably won't do much. 3 beers a night???? not ideal.

There's also the satiety angle - dieting for fat loss makes you hungry (thank the hormones Ghrelin and Leptin), do you really want to replace 300 or so calories of stomach filling food, with liquid alcohol? 300kcals is 1 Cup of Quaker Oats - that'll fill you up for hours. But only you can tell how it affects you - follow the deficit, account for the alcohol, see if you still drop 1-2lbs/week consistently - if you can, then enjoy the booze. A lot of this is individual, you just have to experiment on yourself.
Old 5 February 2018, 08:10
BTDT

Quote:

You want to maximize Free Test, and keep Estrogen in range (we *need* in-range Estrogen - muscle building, lipid profile, joint lubrication, libido, etc... ). But out of range (high) can cause increased fat storage, increase difficulty losing fat, and other things. The range is 8-35 and I feel best around 30. But getting into the 50's+ should be avoided. The only way to know if alcohol is affecting you, is to get an LC/MS "Sensitive" Estrodiol blood test - if you're already high, most likely the alcohol is making it worse.
Old 5 February 2018, 16:51
Confirmed User

Polypro, have you read "The Obesity Code" by Fung?
I am interested in your take on it.
Old 6 February 2018, 07:49
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
Polypro, have you read "The Obesity Code" by Fung?
I am interested in your take on it.
I have not come across that name in 4 years of daily research in the field.

I Googled him and read about 20 lines of a Q&A - I was not impressed.

Show me a fat Ethiopian during the famine, or a fat German concentration camp prisoner - it's about energy balance, plain and simple. He also seems to be afraid of Insulin, but I quit reading.
Old 6 February 2018, 10:24
Been There Done That

Poly,
How does a type 1 diabetic expend more calories than he takes in if the result is a drop in blood sugar levels that requires an increase in calories to bring back into range ?
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80
Old 6 February 2018, 12:39
BTDT

A. While I live with Type I's, they don't exercise, and I'm not one.

B. There *are* Type I Athletes all over the place that are very lean - I'd seek out what they say.

C. Using what I know, that may or may not be correct: Your exercise routine will drop blood sugar a certain amount, and as long as you don't do 100 different random things all the time, - should be fairly consistent in the drop. ReliOn Glucose Tabs are 4g of pure Glucose and 20kcals. IIRC, when my peeps go low, they have about 4 of them to get back in range. That's 80kcals. IMO, not really going to screw up fat loss goals, even if you go into a couple hundred kcals of Glucose. Especially if you go aggressive with the deficit, like -1000kcals - so you'll be at -800 in reality with the Glucose - still awesome.

Also, and just thought of this, I hear Rice Cakes are really good at raising Blood Glucose too - so actually work those into your macros as one of the sources of Carbs, and use them to raise blood glucose, And actually, it's the same for the Glucose Tabs, just consider them as a food source when working up your plan - they just won't fill you up
Old 6 February 2018, 12:54
Been There Done That

Thanks, it seems to take very little output to drop my blood glucose from 100 to the upper to mid 60's (ie 15 minutes of cardio). Then my body starts metabolizing my liver causing a spike to the 300 range which is to be avoided. I sure would like to remove 20-25 pound of fat though.
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80

Last edited by Terry Welshan; 6 February 2018 at 13:00.
Old 7 February 2018, 07:28
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Welshan View Post
Thanks, it seems to take very little output to drop my blood glucose from 100 to the upper to mid 60's (ie 15 minutes of cardio). Then my body starts metabolizing my liver causing a spike to the 300 range which is to be avoided. I sure would like to remove 20-25 pound of fat though.
You know more than me re: diabetes and exercise, but could you slightly raise it with a small amount of carbs before you train (don't cover it with a bolus), and then have the activity lower it into range? Spike it to 150 and train? Or just have some diluted Gatorade or something and take a sip every 30mins? I bet with experimentation, you could nail it down. You on a pump?
Old 7 February 2018, 08:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
You know more than me re: diabetes and exercise, but could you slightly raise it with a small amount of carbs before you train (don't cover it with a bolus), and then have the activity lower it into range? Spike it to 150 and train? Or just have some diluted Gatorade or something and take a sip every 30mins? I bet with experimentation, you could nail it down. You on a pump?
Yes, I pump now, I will try your suggestion, it just seems that there are many moving parts to the type 1 exercise equation.
I maintained a decent BMI and fitness level for 20 years after leaving Batt. but even with that all the peripheral complications (eyesight, foot circulation and resulting injuries) have conspired to limit my exercise ability and time. For example running is out as even a short run causes the soles of my feet to separate and then require a month or two of wound treatment. Walking is still doable as long as I limit it to 1 hour or less and avoid any hotspots on feet.It seems the biggest issue is the physical effects of exercise (heart rate breathing sweating) last for the duration of the PT. but the diabetic effect don't show up until hours later, or the middle of the night. Again, thank you for your replies and suggestions.
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80
Old 7 February 2018, 13:26
Confirmed User

My daughter pumps and we have had the same issues. She has gone as low as 38 during exercise and mid 300's after.The pump is great but we recently got her the Dexcom monitoring system for more information. This has given us very useful data to help fix this. It took a bit or trial and error but we figured out ( as much as you can figure out) that a few carbs at peek workout time seems to smooth her out. We started with 10 carbs and kept backing it down while doing the same work out. Shes at 3 and that seems to be the sweet spot. For carbs we give her something fast acting for the workout. We tried long lasting carbs but that spiked her post workout.

Here is the website to the Dexcom, https://www.dexcom.com/

Also a cool feature is it goes right to a smart phone and can be sent to multiple devices as well if you have loved ones that are helping out or a dietitian or endocrinologist

Hope this helps, I wish you luck with the workouts!

Our new posting rules