SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Psyop/Civil Affairs

Old 1 June 2005, 12:23
Amateur Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren
Now my question: Does everyone in 37F recite Monty Python? Is this a job req I hadn't heard of?
Personally, I like lines from Caddyshack, but thats just me. :D
Old 1 June 2005, 19:02
SOCNET Moderator

Caddyshack you say?

DOODY!!!!!

Waiter, this steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it.

Vermin Cong.

Yeah, we can do Caddyshack too, it just doesn't have the sheer volume of quotables. Bill Murray has been playing variants of the same role (as has Chevy Chase) for years. It's just not as funny as seeing Mr. Creosote explode.

Now bring me two of everything on the menu, and a bucket.

NOW THAT I THINK OF IT: Monty Python presents a prime example of some of the things you were taught in school. Themes, symbols, slogans.

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble

Last edited by TPD1280; 2 June 2005 at 03:18. Reason: an idea smacked me over the head
Old 3 June 2005, 13:37
National Treasure

As well as screwing up golfers by blasting Metallica at them via truck mount speaker array while they're tee-ing off. Big Fun!

"Must be a King...hasn't got shit all over 'im."
Old 3 June 2005, 23:18
shiver me timbers

I bet you were something before electricity.
Old 3 June 2005, 23:44
SOCNET Moderator

Somebody (cough, cough) got the 37F course moved off Camp Parks for running a loudspeaker mission (tanks and helos) on the Post Civilian Administrators quarters.

Somebody else, (cough, cough) got a huge kick out of plastering Ft. Hunter-Liggett with flyers for a non-existant Post Barbecue. Which really pissed of the Post CSM.

God I love this MOS.

Old 29 June 2005, 16:06
National Treasure

another psyop question

Does anyone have a rough idea as to how long a secret clearance is supposed to take? Even a provisional type? I sit here in neutral for that so I can be awarded the 37F MOS, apply for schools, get bonuses etc. but nobody in my (admittedly sparsely populated) co. can get any info. I joined USAR in January 05, and am extremely motivated to get going.

Thankee
Old 29 June 2005, 17:04
I've got a gun too, mf'er

If your EPSQ has been submitted, USACAPOC can grant you an Interim. Are you sitting in a unit? Get your security manager to request an Interim for you.

The whole process takes a long ass time. They continue to be ridiculously backed up.

Article about it in today's WashPost, coincidentally...

Hearing on Security Clearance Backlog Sparks Promises of Action

By Stephen Barr

Wednesday, June 29, 2005; Page B02

Almost four years after the terrorist attacks on the Pentagon and World Trade Center, the Bush administration is struggling to speed up investigations for security clearances and reduce a backlog of cases.

The process for vetting government employees and contract workers was designated a "high risk" area in January by the Government Accountability Office, which monitors federal programs for Congress.

Yesterday, Sen. George V. Voinovich (R-Ohio) said terrorism and intelligence programs suffer when federal job applicants and contractors are left "in a state of limbo" for a year or more waiting for security clearances.

Voinovich, who called a hearing on clearances as chairman of the Senate subcommittee on government management and the federal workforce, told Bush administration officials: "I am going to be on this like a junkyard dog. We are going to get this off the high-risk list. Does everyone understand me?"

After hearing administration officials and a GAO analyst offer conflicting views on how much progress has been made on speeding up security clearances, Voinovich said he would ask top officials at the Office of Management and Budget, including OMB Director Joshua B. Bolton and OMB Deputy Director Clay Johnson III , to get involved in finding a fix.

The White House, apparently to show that it is paying attention to the issue, released an executive order on the eve of the hearing. The president's directive would set up a framework for complying with recent legislation that called for streamlining the clearance process.

The Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks prompted a number of agencies to recommend that more employees have access to classified information and that clearance levels be raised for other employees. The stepped-up demand put new pressure on a system that had been snarled in delays for more than a decade.

The administration, after two years of interagency talks, consolidated background investigations in February at the Office of Personnel Management. The Defense Department transferred 1,578 employees to OPM and more than 146,000 pending investigations. With the consolidation, OPM handles about 90 percent of the government's clearance work.

But Derek B. Stewart , the GAO analyst, expressed skepticism that the consolidation would produce quick improvements.

In two recent years, he testified, the Pentagon underestimated the number of background investigations it needed by at least 100,000 cases. Defense and OPM also face problems in linking up their computer systems to share data and conduct investigations, he said.

"If I was OPM, I would be scared to death of this program," Stewart said.

Heather Anderson , the Pentagon official in charge of the transfer of security clearance investigations to OPM, said work on procedures and systems over the past two years has led to improvements. She said Defense has about 329,000 cases in the clearance pipeline.

Kathy L. Dillaman , a deputy associate director at OPM, said the agency has augmented its staff with about 6,000 contract employees from six companies. She predicted that the added staff would enhance OPM's productivity by year's end.

This year, OPM projects it will face 550,000 new requests for background investigations involving access to classified information and almost 900,000 background checks to determine if employees can be deemed trustworthy.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 1 July 2005, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailaviborita
Only Psyop guys I ran into operated out of the embassy, stayed in 5 star hotels, went into the jungle when they wanted to, and partied all the time. Almost total autonomy. Looked like the dream job- you could be cool and go on patrols with whoever you could build rapport with- or be a slug. Or both.
This statement is not entirely false. I have been deployed to Bogota Colombia and we stayed in THEE nicest place ever. We paid big bucks for it but it was a "Force Protection" issue, so...........
We also did what we NEEDED to do - no schedule per say. If we needed to go to Cali or Medellin, we went. If we needed to spend the weekend in Cartagena, we did. :D

Also - it wasn't back in the "good old days of OP3" either. It was in 2000 when I was there (I was there in 1992 as well - same set up) and it is still going on.

I also have "first hand" knowledge that the patch WILL change. USACAPOC is going away. There will a PSYCOM (one star command) soon. They will have their own patch - I worked on the design.
Old 10 July 2005, 05:27
SOCNET Moderator

SPILL!!!

What's the patch gonna look like?

Old 11 July 2005, 17:27
National Treasure

does anyone know any particulars regarding the Psyop Officer's course? Length, location, etc?
Old 13 July 2005, 02:25
SOCNET Moderator

POOC

I'll bet Jerry does.

I'd also hazard a guess that it is at USAJFKSWCS.

Old 13 July 2005, 08:26
National Treasure

I have some time today, I should have searched the web before bugging you folks. Jerry already has his hands full trying to get the Army to pay me!

Thanks
Old 13 July 2005, 10:42
SOCNET Moderator

you may also try asking one of the O's in your unit who has attended the POOC.

Old 13 July 2005, 12:39

There is an article on changes coming to CA and PSYOP in the July issue of Special Warfare magazine. Talks about how both will be become full-fledged branches next year, the creation of a new 38B CMF, and changes to the training pipeline. The article focuses more on CA than psyop.
- Bootsy Collins
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 14 July 2005, 04:59
SOCNET Moderator

Quote:
The article focuses more on CA than psyop.
Of course it does. Why would that change.

CA is about the only area of ARSOF that is Officer centered.

You don't send a SGT as a CA Team Leader to talk to a village honcho, he (the honcho) would see that as an insult. You send an Officer. The bigger the ville, the bigger the O. The coordination between NGO's and such require the type of politicking and networking that is the lifeblood of Officers. As such, CA is rightfully "Officer heavy". Every CA Team is lead by an Officer.

A Tactcal PSYOP Detachment has only 1 Officer. The PSYOP teams and missions are run by NCO's.

Most of these magazines are written for/by/about Officers and their issues. That being what it is, the bulk of the article is going to be about Officers and their issues.

I'm sure there are exceptions to what I have written above, but this is based on several years of observations, and watching a CA E-7 make coffee and copies while a CPT or MAJ sits and talks with the mayor. I have also seen a 96th CA NCO run his own show without an O, but that was only once.

It's not good or bad, it just is.

Old 14 July 2005, 20:33
Confirmed User

Hey, Baildog--I would love to see that article. No surprise, really, but my University doesn't have a subscription, and can't find one at any of the local libraries. Is there a weblink?

Thanks.
Old 14 July 2005, 22:57
Authorized Personnel

To expand on TPD1280's post,

Exceptions:

- Some village honchos would be more insulted with the soldier's gender than the soldier's rank.

- In Iraq, the local womens' group leaders felt more comfortable dealing with an enlisted female than a male officer.

- When an enlisted soldier is a subject matter expert, he will often be allowed to take the reigns of the mission. Granted, the officer has the ultimate authority and responsibility but there are so many cases where the NCO runs the show, attends the meetings and creates proposals. This is especially the case the further away from the flagpole the CA unit is located and the hotter the AO. Sometimes this is a matter of not having enough soldiers (officer AND enlisted) to handle the various issues in an AO. In the CA reserve world, which is 97% of the CA world right now, it is common to find E4s with Masters' degrees, E5s who serve as executives in corporations and E6s fluent in several languages.

- Often in a CMOC setting, members of the team (officer and enlisted) each get a slice of the CA pie, rank not being an issue. I.e. One person deals with the Health Ministry and issues, another deals with the Education Minister, etc..

From the general (non-CA) soldiering standpoint, the officer may request movement but the CA NCO would establish SOPs, plan the convoys, footpatrols, etc.

On paper, yes, every team has an officer assigned. I would not consider staying back at the FOB every time his CA team rolls out the gate on a mission "leading". Sometimes the reason is valid. Regardless, it is the senior NCO who is leading the mission at that point.

Again, these are some of the exceptions to the general flow of civil affairs but they do occur.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan
Old 15 July 2005, 00:16
COL Quaritch is my CO

In Iraq, and to a lesser extent here in the 'Stan, CA teams attract a lot of hostiles. FOB Mecury emptied out one day, to relieve a CA/Engineer team that got jumped by a Company sized HajjiHorde(tm). They were building a clinic, thus staying in one place long enough for Hajji to bring out the boys. Hell of a firefight.
It is NOT a noncombat MOS.
Old 15 July 2005, 01:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal
Hey, Baildog--I would love to see that article. No surprise, really, but my University doesn't have a subscription, and can't find one at any of the local libraries. Is there a weblink?

Thanks.
The link is to the Army Knowledge Online website, I'm afraid, which you need an account to log on to.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 15 July 2005, 06:39
SOCNET Moderator

Metalchica, sounds like you are in a well run unit. Wish you were there for OIF1. The clowns we saw could have used the good example.

Our new posting rules