SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Psyop/Civil Affairs

Old 9 August 2005, 23:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilSciFiFan
My last two cents, stay away from anything that has analysis in the job description.
I think THAT is the first time I have heard that--a funny thing to tell someone who has done nothing BUT analysis! But will keep it in mind. Thanks, again. And good luck to you as you finish school.
Old 10 August 2005, 09:34
Amateur Barbarian

There are no 37F in the National Guard.
Old 13 August 2005, 01:52

RE: 37F,

I was one on my initial enlistment and received some great training... However, currently forward deployed with OIF 3 and the PSYOP assets are dwindling and picking up more real estate to cover. I still have yet to see them used properly in our immediate AO and the mission tasks we assist them with we were already doing on our own as light infantry. Maybe someone can give some other examples, but I just haven't seen a concerted effort by our command to use the TPTs available, effectively. However, I will say a couple of CA guys that were here made their own missions and did an excellent job by leaning forward on their own. They impressed the hell out of the brass by little consequence of the brass employing them correctly, but by their own initiative coupled with a very informed view of their own role in the AO and there L/R limits on how they should operate. Basically you have to force your case to the right people in order to sell your skillset.

di
Old 13 August 2005, 06:45
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilSciFiFan
My last two cents, stay away from anything that has analysis in the job description.
Why do you say that?? I loved being an analyst. There are plenty of my fellow 98Cs on this board who agree with me, too....
Old 13 August 2005, 14:21
Confirmed User

"Analysis" was OK, it was the job descriptions with "urinalysis" in the title that I stayed clear of :D
Old 13 August 2005, 19:16
Probationary User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
Why do you say that?? I loved being an analyst. There are plenty of my fellow 98Cs on this board who agree with me, too....
Sorry Mav, no offense intended ...

I love analysts. Someone's going to have to decipher the gibberish in my reports...
Old 13 August 2005, 19:39
Authorized Personnel

LOL... gibberish? who's been to the T9 course?
Old 14 August 2005, 12:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammer1
RE: 37F,

I still have yet to see them used properly in our immediate AO and the mission tasks we assist them with we were already doing on our own as light infantry.

However, I will say a couple of CA guys that were here made their own missions and did an excellent job by leaning forward on their own.

Basically you have to force your case to the right people in order to sell your skillset.

di
Thanks for this. I have heard such divergent comparisons of CA/PSYOP work, but honestly, this has been the most consistent observation I have heard from people with different points of view.
Old 17 August 2005, 19:24
Confirmed User

Here's my 2 cents,

I got out of the Army all together in 2000 after being an Infantryman in a Ranger Battalion. I finished my degree in Marketing and in 2003 decided to go back on active duty and make it a career. I decided on PSYOP for many reasons.

1. It is in the Special Operations Community, which means better training, better assignments, and more funding.

2. I talked with many people who were in PSYOP and got out of the Army with skills and contacts that helped them get good jobs out of the military.

3. The Active duty PSYOP is trying to double its numbers, which means record promotions and faster promotion rates.

Since coming on active duty in 2003, I have completed Arabic Language School, done two tours in Iraq on great assignments. I wore civilian clothes both tours. I was promoted from E5 - E6 and I am looking at E7 in the next
1-2 years. I have also received more training and schools and I am going on a 3-year assignment to Italy (Oh no, not Italy!!!)

Active duty PSYOP is what you make of it. There are some great leaders and some real poor leaders and a lot of lazy people. It is up to the NCO's and leaders to make it better. Some people go on assignments and don't get to do their job; this is their fault for not "selling their services" better. My last assignment, the command let us do anything we thought would help the mission.

Almost anyone in active PSYOP can go to DLI for more language training, you just have to ask.

PSYOP has a great future and will continue to improve and will start to move toward more technology based means of dissemination. The sky is the limit.

If I were to do anything else I would probably look towards the 97E MOS

Just my thoughts.

PR
Old 17 August 2005, 20:18
One jump chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopranger
Here's my 2 cents,

I got out of the Army all together in 2000 after being an Infantryman in a Ranger Battalion. I finished my degree in Marketing and in 2003 decided to go back on active duty and make it a career. I decided on PSYOP for many reasons.

1. It is in the Special Operations Community, which means better training, better assignments, and more funding.

2. I talked with many people who were in PSYOP and got out of the Army with skills and contacts that helped them get good jobs out of the military.

3. The Active duty PSYOP is trying to double its numbers, which means record promotions and faster promotion rates. Not the best reason to join IMO

Since coming on active duty in 2003, I have completed Arabic Language School, done two tours in Iraq on great assignments. I wore civilian clothes both tours.In what capacity? I was promoted from E5 - E6 and I am looking at E7 in the next
1-2 years Don't count your chickens.... I have also received more training and schools and I am going on a 3-year assignment to Italy (Oh no, not Italy!!!)

Active duty PSYOP is what you make of it. There are some great leaders and some real poor leaders and a lot of lazy people. It is up to the NCO's and leaders to make it better. Some people go on assignments and don't get to do their job; this is their fault for not "selling their services" better Don't sell... Provide. My last assignment, the command let us do anything we thought would help the mission.

Almost anyone in active PSYOP can go to DLI for more language training, you just have to ask.

PSYOP has a great future and will continue to improve and will start to move toward more technology based means of dissemination. The sky is the limit.

Just my thoughts.

PR
See you in class Ranger Buddy...

“An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.”
Old 17 August 2005, 20:51
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtorak28
Someone forgot to take off their golf shoes :D
Old 17 August 2005, 22:42
Confirmed User

Quote:

PR
Thank you for your post.

Since I have heard this a number of times in both posts and PMs, 97E vs. 37F, what should the deciding factor be? DLI at enlistment is one, I know. The others--I think I am looking for something more strategic, but with heavy doses of contact with the target population. Is this possible with both MOSs? (Apologies for the repetition--I know I have asked this of several people via PM, but the opinions have been so varied, thought I would post the question and get a wider perspective.)

In advance, thank you.
Old 18 August 2005, 09:33
Amateur Barbarian

What should the deciding factor be? The only one who can answer that is you. Will it take coming to Bragg and doing interviews with every PSYOP soldier to help you make this decision? Your penchant for analysis is getting in the way here IMHO.
Old 18 August 2005, 10:30
Authorized Personnel

lal,

You are going to be faced with tough decisions irrespective of the job (MOS) you do in the military. You will learn more about yourself than you thought you ever would. You will be humbled. You will learn. You will grow.

The bottom line is: soldiers come first.

If you are lucky to take what you've learned and let it benefit your civilian or personal goals, great.

Never lose sight of what really counts: taking care of your fellow soldiers. Signing that contract is a committment NOT to be taken lightly.

Good luck.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan
Old 18 August 2005, 10:33
National Treasure

lal, my old man used to say fish or cut bait. Seem like good advice in your case.

Just make a decision and then live it up.
Old 18 August 2005, 11:07
Confirmed User

Appreciated. I am used to having the luxury of lots of time, and yes, many interviews, before I make a choice. There are more unknowns here than I am used to. That's all.
Old 18 August 2005, 11:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtorak28

jtorak28,

Since starting class, I have really started to look more at PSYOP and 4th POG and what our strengths and weaknesses are. You and SFC B have made me open my eyes again as to what needs to happen to make this unit a top-notch member of the SOF community.

I have started to point the finger at myself and other NCO's, like you said, it starts with us and it's our job.

Thanks for the insight.

PR

P.S. We missed your smoke session the other day???
Old 18 August 2005, 11:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal
I think I am looking for something more strategic, but with heavy doses of contact with the target population.
This is your everyday job in PSYOP. In a strategic or tactical team.

If you like working with the locals, speaking their language, helping them solve problems and bringing our messages to them, then PSYOP is for you.

Some assignments in PSYOP, you will have the chance to do the job of a 97E as well. PSYOP is one of the MOS's that gives you a lot of flexibility and many different duties. Every assignment is different.

Hope this helps,

PR
Old 18 August 2005, 11:53
Amateur Barbarian

Quote:
jtorak28,

Since starting class, I have really started to look more at PSYOP and 4th POG and what our strengths and weaknesses are. You and SFC B have made me open my eyes again as to what needs to happen to make this unit a top-notch member of the SOF community.

I have started to point the finger at myself and other NCO's, like you said, it starts with us and it's our job.

Thanks for the insight.

PR

P.S. We missed your smoke session the other day???
Sounds like we could use you guys at the next OPD.
Old 18 August 2005, 13:05
One jump chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROB
Sounds like we could use you guys at the next OPD.
That would go over like a lead balloon... :D I think I'll leave it up to the new Group CDR. I hear he is a good Officer and Leader.

psyopranger.... tomorrow is another day... log PT, right?? See ya at 0600.

“An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.”

Our new posting rules