SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Psyop/Civil Affairs

Old 9 June 2009, 09:22

Disqualifications for security clearance and mos 37F

Hello everyone,

When I initially enlisted in 2000 I admitted to previous drug use. Probably a stupid thing to do but I wanted to be honest, after all, integrity is one of our core values. I was unable to get the mos I originally wanted because I admitted to using three times.

I've tried looking through some AR's but it's a lot of information to sift through. My question is would this disqualify me from getting into 37F PSYOP or obtaining a secret security clearance?
Old 9 June 2009, 11:05
On the Extract Bird

No.

As long as you havent used since then (9 years ago), it isn't a big deal. Unless you were dropping Acid or eating peyote...then it might be a problem.
Old 9 June 2009, 11:22

No acid, peyote or any other hallucinogens. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it =)
Old 9 June 2009, 13:07
Walk the plank

3x wont prevent you from obtaining a secret clearance
Old 9 June 2009, 22:02
SOCNET Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
Hello everyone,

When I initially enlisted in 2000 I admitted to previous drug use. Probably a stupid thing to do but I wanted to be honest, after all, integrity is one of our core values.
Lying would have been a stupid thing to do. The truth is always easier: you never have to remember the truth, you always have to remember the lie.

In this MOS we have absolutely no room for liars. They cost lives.

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble
Old 10 June 2009, 19:09
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPD1280 View Post
Lying would have been a stupid thing to do. The truth is always easier: you never have to remember the truth, you always have to remember the lie.
X2 - If you lie they will know. When I was interviewed for my SSBI there wasn't a question asked they didnt already know the answer to. It was more a test of personal integrity than a Q & A for discovery session. Dont hesitate or deviate so much as one iota from the truth. Oh, and no smart ass answers during the interview - they have no FREAKIN' sense of humor or tolerance.
Old 10 June 2009, 19:20

Went and talked to a recruiter today. I qualify for the mos but I was told the only mos open for prior service now is 11x and 18x I'm pretty bummed since I really had my heart set on 37F. I wouldn't mind doing 18x since I'd go to jump school, language, pldc, etc... but I'm just not in shape for it. Hopefully things will change with the new fiscal year in October. Still keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 10 June 2009, 19:35
Administrator

The drug you used, what age you were when you did it and a number of other things goes into the determination. The investigators will talk to your friends and neighbors. So if you screwed up, you screwed yourself.
Old 10 June 2009, 20:50

When I talked to the recruiter he told me since I admitted use when I initially enlisted and since it was such a long time ago it shouldn't be a problem. The only thing holding me back now is that the Army isn't letting any prior service reclass to any other MOS other than 11x and 18x.
Old 10 June 2009, 21:21
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
When I talked to the recruiter he told me since I admitted use when I initially enlisted and since it was such a long time ago it shouldn't be a problem. The only thing holding me back now is that the Army isn't letting any prior service reclass to any other MOS other than 11x and 18x.
Have you considered the Reserves, opstempo is strong enough to keep you emplyed on a full-time basis.
Old 10 June 2009, 22:29
SOCNET Moderator

True dat. You can be down range as fast as you want to be, and stay gone as much as you would like.

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble
Old 10 June 2009, 23:06

I would definitely consider the reserves if they would allow me to go to jump school and language school. It's my understanding that those schools are not required for the reserve so I'm not sure how hard it would be to get them.
Old 11 June 2009, 08:13
Been There Done That

Depending on what reserve company you go to Jump school would be a requirerment if the company is on jump status.
Old 21 January 2010, 10:09
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Minotti
opinions not based in fact, and other drivel from a SP4 who knows ...
The individual who is upfront with the interviewers and investigations show he is truthful (correlation) despite the previous convictions, is alot more transparent than the fellow with a misdemeanour who does not mention them since he believes it is a lesser offense and investigations show the exact opposite!

Below are some guidelines for the process:
a. allegiance to the US
b. foreign influence
c. foreign preference
d. sexual behaviour (Tiger is out)
e. personal conduct
f. financial considerations (credit profile)
g. alcohol consumption
h. drug involvement
i. criminal conduct
j. psychological profile

As someone previously mentioned, age when committing said felonies and maturity in accepting the consequences figures prominently with approval of denial of clearances.

Last edited by TPD1280; 22 January 2010 at 10:56.
Old 22 January 2010, 06:47
Confirmed User

Mate I admire your honesty.
Old 7 February 2010, 01:18
Secure The Victory!

It's like being a teenager with your folks - somehow, they always seem to find out you've lied, one way or the other. Always better letting them know your past issues. In their minds, if they already know about something in your past, it can't be used by some nefarious folks to blackmail you.
Old 25 February 2010, 12:10
Confirmed User

Cid,

Doesn't really matter anymore as PSYOP is only taking E-5 and up now through their assessment program. If you still want active duty PSYOP, join the AC and put in an assessment packet.

HVY DROP
Old 28 June 2010, 11:51
Confirmed User

As part of my company's services, we are subcontracted to conduct backgrounds for the federal government. I can tell you that even if you have done bad things in the past, it is all about mitigating the offense, i.e. what have you done since that time period.

An example would be: You need a TS/SCI and 3 years ago, you had really bad finances and had to file bankruptcy. If your finances are good now and in addition, you have money in your bank account then it shows that you have mitigated that offense. In the end, it is up to the appeals board if you don't pass the first go-round and have to appeal your disqualification for a clearance.

SSBI's go back 10 years. If you don't get the clearance at first, you still have an appeals process. There are people who have done some really bad things, i.e. drugs, time in prison, etc. in their past who have gone on to get secret and top secret clearances. I know I probably shouldn't say that but there are links on the internet that show you some of the appeals that have been denied and those that have been adjudicated. The overwhelming theme in the appeals that have been denied is that they didn't have a letter of recommendation from a current employer and/or they have done nothing to mitigate their past behavior. Here is a link if you would like to see for yourself: http://www.dod.gov/dodgc/doha/industrial/

The best advice on here is: don't lie, most offenses if done 3 or more years ago can be mitigated and you can still qualify for a clearance. Although, it might be different for the military, as I don't do backgrounds for the military, only civilians, so far.

Hope that helps!

Our new posting rules