SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Welcome To SOCNET > Introduce Yourself With Your First Post Here

Old 10 February 2008, 23:03
BT,WBTWC

Talk to a recruiter, he can arrange for you to visit Ft. Campbell and talk to the SF recruiters if you meet basic qualifications.
Old 11 February 2008, 03:26

Hi all thanks for the invite and great site, I am amazed at how much activity is out there. Pretty new to this and looking to get in on the game, so here goes. I am a South African Cape Townian of 43 who served with 1 Para Bn in 83 & 84 and did a few camps after that. Spent a year in the combat zone in Angola/ South West Africa, had extensive local township strife control as well as border patrols.

Although 43 years old am fit and partake in extreme adventure racing as well as ultra marathons. I am a recently graduated Masters student in Development, but struggling to find a job of any real substance in SA that would earn me a reasonable living. I know that there are currently several South African contractors out there and many of you who have SA friends and colleagues. I would really appreciate any assistance or leads that could get me off the ground. While Iraq sounds ideal for my first gig, at this stage I am willing to take whatever comes along. Thanks again, looking forward to hearing from you all shortly.

There are those that dream of great achievements, while others stay awake and do them.
Old 11 February 2008, 14:52

Hi

This is my first post. I stumbled across your site while doing research for a class at college (returned to school after my children left home) - fascinating reading. I especially love the threads and everyones take on various subjects. Thanks for letting me eavesdrop.
Old 11 February 2008, 15:34

Among ex-military - great place to warn of fraud

Two tours Vietnam 337th Signal Co, 37th Signal Battalion, I Corp - Danang.

I made it through after 19 months and latter had two sons. One since 3 years old told me he wanted to join the ARMY. I wasn't too enthused and figured he would out grow it, he now has had his fill as a Captain Airborne Ranger completing one year in Iraq as a Bradley Commander, then a battalion XO . He is now teaching officers how to be infantry officers at Fort Benning, GA.

I joined this group because I found post regarding fraud and I would like to contribute.
Old 12 February 2008, 04:17

Former Marine Corps officer currently working for MPRI in Afghanistan.
1st Tank Bn
GDSF GTMO
MCCDC
15th MEU
8th MCD

Last edited by Digger; 12 February 2008 at 04:44.
Old 12 February 2008, 08:45

Intro

Hi all,

I am Greek, living in Athens, 44 years old, served in the Hellenic Air Force as a Seargent and as a PI-PAO for the Greek Ministry of Defence (1990-1991). Studied Finance and Business. Working in this sector now (editor and general manager in financial news company).

Have a strong interest in SOF and keep up with developments almost at proffesional level.
Old 12 February 2008, 10:28

Hello to all,
I served with the 4th ID, 91 to 94/Arty. Reserves 1999 to 2001/MP. I have been employed the North Carolina Dept. of Correction for 12 years. I have been a Special Operations Response Team (SORT) member for 8 years. Our mission is hostage rescue, barricaded individual, high risk transport, track dangerous felon escapees and whatever else the administration throws our way. Also a certified general instructor.
Old 12 February 2008, 12:05
Verified SOF

Former 11th Group

I was in the 11th Group in the Reserves from 1972 (SFQC 5-73) until discharged in 1992. went through the 'Q' Course as an O5B.

Was planning on re-joining in 1994, but the Group was being purged along with the 12th, so so much for that.

When I joined the unit (off the street), it was Co F, 11th SFG(A) located in Coral Gables, FL. With the TOE change, it became HHD, 3rd Bn.

I'm on here looking for former 11th Group members, particularly from 3rd Bn.

Putting together a web site about the 11th (URL in my profile) and I'm looking for input.

I've seen a few posts on here from mostly 1/11 types.

Contrary to the recently expressed opinions of the CSM of the Army Reserves, not all Reserve units just went off to "summer camp' to just plan the party before going home.

SF Reservists were some of the most qualified people in Special Forces at the time. I know whenever we worked with guys in the 10th who we hadn't worked with before, we exceeded they expectations by a mile.

SFC Chuck J
18E4S

Last edited by commoguy; 12 February 2008 at 17:29.
Old 12 February 2008, 12:09
Greenhat
Visitor

Hi Chuck,

Welcome aboard. Former 2/11th guy here. As for your comments about SF Reservists, I'm proud of the fact that in working with both 10th Gp at Devens and 7th Gp down in Florida someplace, the same thing could be said. We exceeded their expectations by a mile.
Old 12 February 2008, 12:24
Verified SOF

Hey, Greenhat.

One year in the '80s, some personnel from 3/11 went to Toelz. The 10th had code training set up for the commo guys. A major inconvenience to them since Flintlock was going on.

After we all passed receiving/copying tests on the highest speed tapes they had on the first day (and many of us could send code faster than their best operators), they realized their plans had to be scrapped.

Being quick thinkers, instead of wasting their time "training" us, they integrated us into their schedules, alleviating the personnel shortage they had at 1Bn with their teams committed to operations.

I'm pretty sure they were sad to see us leave.

While in country, a few of us earned German Jump Wings..... but that's another story....

Last edited by commoguy; 12 February 2008 at 12:50.
Old 12 February 2008, 14:07
BT,WBTWC

Greetings from then-1LT/CPT CB.

C Co, 3/11th (Winston-Salem, NC) 1977 - 1983 era.

Were you on the 3rd floor commo room at a Camp Edwards AT with me?
Old 12 February 2008, 14:28
BT,WBTWC

Pictures from C/3/11 SFGA

Here's some links to pictures that you are free to add to your 3/11th web site:

An article from the Golden Griffin:

http://www.members.aol.com/cbjpegs/SkiClass.jpg

A double picture, on the left is dress up (note the BC glasses), the right photo was taken at the (in)famous Camp Edwards, MA Annual Training wearing MP insignia:

http://www.members.aol.com/cbjpegs/BCGlass.jpg

I've got more somewhere.
Old 12 February 2008, 14:53
Authorized Personnel

I was 1/11 initially, but then in Group HHC in the S-5 shop before shipping off to OCS. We drafted the Group's official history at the time. I was mainly responsible for drafting 1st BN's history, but I probably still have some source materials lying around. Most of what I had went to the USASOC archives, though.
Old 12 February 2008, 17:23
Verified SOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB
Greetings from then-1LT/CPT CB.

C Co, 3/11th (Winston-Salem, NC) 1977 - 1983 era.

Were you on the 3rd floor commo room at a Camp Edwards AT with me?
Probably. I only remember going to Camp Edwards NY once. At the time, I was probably the senior radio operator from HHD, before I became Commo Chief.

The posing as an MP unit wasn't at Edwards. That was at Otis AFB on Cape Cod.

I remember you and the MSG in the picture with you at Otis.

You were referred to as Captain Blood 'n Guts. LOL
Old 12 February 2008, 17:45
BT,WBTWC

Otis, AFB.
Right you are, not too far from Mr. Kennedy's infamous island.

We were still using coder-bursters with the AN/GRC-109's or the PRC-74B's, and I helped break out some commo using the DIANA one time pads to get some deployed SFODA's a "GO" on their ARTEP. I've still got my SAVSERSUP 3 sitting in my souvenir collection.
Old 12 February 2008, 17:57
Verified SOF

CB,

Pretty sure everyone was using 74s by that time.

At Edwards I was in Commo. At Otis I was the Bn Intel Chief. The C&D plan that got you in that MP armband was my handiwork.

I still pity that BX folks who stocked up on SF stuff when they heard a SF unit was going to be there. The one that never showed up. That would be us.

CJ
Old 13 February 2008, 12:48

Howdy one and all. I served in the US Navy from '79 to '83 on active duty, and then two more in the Navy Reserve. Deployed to the Persian Gulf twice during that time period. Once aboard USS Goldsborough (DDG20) and once about USS Badger (FF1071). Left the Navy completely in '85 and two years later joined the Army Nat'l Guard as part of the 29th Infantry Division. Shifted over from traditional guardsman to AGR soon after, and made a carreer of it. Retired in '03 with 23 on the books. Now, I'm an instructor with Lockheed Martin working a contract in the DC area. I don't feel much qualified to have anything to say, so mostly I'll be reading. I do want to thank the creator of this board, and I really want to thank all you hard-chargers that create the content of this board.
Old 13 February 2008, 20:44
Confirmed User

Intro

Glad to be here. Went in the Army as 11B in '98, and was at 3/75 from '99 until ETS in '03 after doing OEF a couple times in '01 and '02. Then I headed to Florida State and got a degree in international business/finance and a minor in Arabic. Now I'm back home in Illinois, and after a brief stint with local LE, I decided that wasn't for me. I've been keeping my eyes out for the right overseas opportunity, but for now I'm working as a financial analyst for a bank and using that degree.

But, I still like to keep up with what the boys are up to out there in the real world. To everyone that is down in it right now - Thanks and stay safe.
Old 13 February 2008, 22:08
BNewton
Visitor

Just wanted to follow protocol and put my first post here. Currently in college playing football. Wish to join the Navy after college. I'm here at the board to lurk and gather information from the BTDT's in the many threads available, and I thank them for there knowledge on many subjects, and respect their experience.
Old 14 February 2008, 00:10

intro

I have been reading this site for 2 + years now. I have worked on several PSD - Static gigs ranging from DoS, to misc. private companies in Stan and Iraq. I am currently very happy with my Gov. contract. Just wanted to make a proper intro, and maybe help out with anybody with the proper creds to get into the biz. I was former 11 B and 18 C, Fed. Agent, and now IC. This site has givin me a load of useful info, so maybe I can help where I can.
Ten Toes Up

PS: Hope this is posted in the correct spot. If not, Mods fell free to flame and correrct where needed.

Our new posting rules