Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 19 April 2017, 14:44
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
So I went out a few months ago and put a set of MagPul grips on my Commander that are similar in countour as these from Hunteran on his Springfield.

All I can say is that after a lifetime of shooting my Commander with GI profile grips (other than a set of Pachmeyers with a wrap-around-the-front checkered strap which I used for 20 years) I'm really, really not diggin' the scooped out area that's there to "facilitate rapid mag changes."

Holy Mother of God, talk about one little thing totally dicking up your grip. I mean, for me it's a fundamental change that I'm not going to be able to make. I'll try another few hundred rounds out if it when I hit the range end of the month, but I'm also going to be bringing my toolbox.

Has anybody else had similar reactions to that big scalloped out section?

I have those on my Wilson and really like them. Do you ride the safety? I feel they improved my grip.
Old 19 April 2017, 14:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
So I went out a few months ago and put a set of MagPul grips on my Commander that are similar in countour as these from Hunteran on his Springfield.

All I can say is that after a lifetime of shooting my Commander with GI profile grips (other than a set of Pachmeyers with a wrap-around-the-front checkered strap which I used for 20 years) I'm really, really not diggin' the scooped out area that's there to "facilitate rapid mag changes."

Holy Mother of God, talk about one little thing totally dicking up your grip. I mean, for me it's a fundamental change that I'm not going to be able to make. I'll try another few hundred rounds out if it when I hit the range end of the month, but I'm also going to be bringing my toolbox.

Has anybody else had similar reactions to that big scalloped out section?

That does seem a bit excessive, I have some VZ Grips with a mag release notch but it is not nearly that large, with no adverse affects on grip.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to polish a turd.
Old 19 April 2017, 14:53
Old Scroll

GPC, nothing on the safety except when breaking leather.

If it was a bit smaller, more like this:

then perhaps YES. But as it is it is just completely WRONG feeling.

Call me institutionalized if you will, but there it is.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 19 April 2017, 15:32
Midgetologist

B 2/75 I find my thumb naturally rest in scooped part. It gives me a very comfortable grip.
Old 19 April 2017, 15:57
33,024 - R.I.P.

I have several sets of 1911 G10 and micarta grips. Some from VZ Grips, some from MIL-TAC, and other OEMs. Personally I like the MIL-TAC Grips over the VZs. The VZ cuts on the Operator II -Hyena Brown were a bit too aggressive, and ended up slicing my thumb. I have a pair of their original Gator Backs in Blasted Black Canvas micarta that are simply wicked looking and provide an awesomely me grip. Craig Sword at MIL-TAC made a limited run of Axelson grips for us awhile back that some members here have been blessed with.

Operator II
https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/191...yena-brown-g10

Gator Backs in blasted micarta
https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/191...d-black-canvas

MIL-TAC
http://store.mil-tac.com/1911tfbg10gripsblack.aspx
Old 19 April 2017, 16:15
Been There Done That

I agree, do not like them. Tried them once.

I really like the Hogue Rubber grips on my 1911. Not as pretty as some of the Walnut and Cocobolo grips I have. But, they are not expensive at all, grippy and seem to absorb a bit of recoil.

https://www.hogueinc.com/store/products/1911-govt-model-black-rubber-grip-panels-checkered-wdiamonds/6784

Stock photo:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 927477302.800x800.jpg (26.7 KB, 331 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 19 April 2017, 17:32
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
All valid points to consider.

Bob, have you considered just buying a frame with a rail and swap parts? just a thought.
If not get yourself a Springfield MC or RO operator both can be had for under $1k if you look around.
Ah, no. Another good idea. Building one has been a bucket list idea for a while anyway.

I was trying very hard to do this as inexpensively as possible, but as it turns out, that may be a moot-ish point soon. The HH6 factor will be changing as well. We'll see.

I kind of feel like the holster is a non-factor because no matter what, I'll need a new holster, whether for the add-on or a new gun. Really appreciate the thoughts here.
Old 19 April 2017, 18:01
Old Scroll

If I can't get used to the MagPul grips, I'll go back to the Pachmayers...

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 20 April 2017, 00:18
Wolverines!

Call me old school, but I still prefer Pachmayers.

Quote:

Old 20 April 2017, 07:56
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Ah, no. Another good idea. Building one has been a bucket list idea for a while anyway.

I was trying very hard to do this as inexpensively as possible, but as it turns out, that may be a moot-ish point soon. The HH6 factor will be changing as well. We'll see.

I kind of feel like the holster is a non-factor because no matter what, I'll need a new holster, whether for the add-on or a new gun. Really appreciate the thoughts here.
I looked at the add on you linked. Unlike other add-on's this one would be a no go for me.

Meaning, customers have a times had to ship me lights, brackets and other things that needed to bolt onto the mold for me to make a holster. Standard holster drones/molds would not be able to accommodate this bolt on.
Old 25 April 2017, 17:01
Confirmed User

Anyone know of a reputable 1911 smith in the NW Florida/SE Alabama area? The ambi safety was "trimmed" to accommodate the new grips by it's previous owner and as a result the right side portion of the safety isn't secure. I'm looking to get a standard safety fitted (I'm a righty so I couldn't care less about the ambidextrous safety) and I'd like to stay local if possible (so I don't have to deal with shipping it) and not wait an eternity.
Old 5 May 2017, 15:47
Midgetologist

Quote:
Did you go back to Pachmayers?
Old 5 May 2017, 15:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylaw View Post
Call me old school, but I still prefer Pachmayers.
That pistol is sexy.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 6 May 2017, 03:19
Red Headed Stepchild

A friend of ours has a Taurus PT 1911 that her ex did something to, and now this happens after a couple of rounds:

which seems less than optimal.

I told her I'd have a look at it, but ran into my Youtube gunsmith proficiency limit pretty much immediately.

Never seen that one before. Not sure what was modified. Is this something I can fix, or does it need to go to someone that actually knows what they're doing?
Old 6 May 2017, 10:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
A friend of ours has a Taurus PT 1911 that her ex did something to, and now this happens after a couple of rounds...
Looks like ambi thumb safety was not properly fitted/installed. Can't tell more from that picture, but it looks as if her ex tried to use half of an ambi as a single side. Grip safety looks wrong, but can't tell due to photo quality.

Tell your friend to get a gunsmith to look at it and see what else if wrong. Don't shoot it until that is done!

Last edited by gavin; 6 May 2017 at 10:57.
Old 6 May 2017, 14:34
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Don't shoot it until that is done!
It actually shoots a lot smoother after the safety falls off.

It's been a paperweight since she asked me about it

Sorry for the photo quality. Both sides are installed, they just don't stay that way.

More on topic, I haven't been a big fan of Taurus over the years, but while googling around on this thing the reviews are a lot more favorable than I expected. The idea was to fix it so she can sell it, but this issue aside, is it worth hanging on to?

Last edited by hawkdrver; 6 May 2017 at 14:41.
Old 6 May 2017, 17:52
Been There Done That

That appears to be the stock ambi safety, and was improperly installed.

Taurus had a good reputation until around 15 years ago, when their QC (and really, their general quality) went to shit.

Keep it or sell it? It is a very cheap gun, so it really doesn't matter one way or another. Retail value used is less than $300, and that is with a properly-installed safety. I don't know what other shade-tree smithing was done. It needs to be inspected by a competent gunsmith, and getting that done may cost more than the used retail value.

In short, it's worthless. I wouldn't pay 100 bucks for it.
Old 6 May 2017, 17:56
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
In short, it's worthless. I wouldn't pay 100 bucks for it.
That's what I was looking for. Thanks gavin.
Old 6 May 2017, 20:07
Been There Done That

If you can figure out exactly what work the shade-tree gunsmith did, it could make the decision easier. Looks like put a tritium rear sight on. Might have parts worth cannibalizing, or, if he did not mess it up too much (and you trust him to admit what he did), it could be a range gun again with some...competent...smithing...
Old 9 June 2017, 22:40
Midgetologist

Springfield Armory MC Operator review here. Good weapon and prices out decent also.

https://www.sofmag.com/1911-mc-operator-45acp-review

Our new posting rules