Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 19 April 2017, 22:56
Violent Social Worker

I'd be worried the kids would become too deadly.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 20 April 2017, 14:47
It is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
LOL, so you're recommending KM for kids? Got it...
I did it at 11 years old.
Old 20 April 2017, 18:36
Authorized Personnel

I've got my 10 yr old and 6 yr old in at Trident Academy, learning BJJ and the occasional muay thai class. The instruction has been great- good student/instructor ratio, fun and simple drills/games that teach the basics, opportunities to grapple a little and roll around to challenge themselves, and they're having fun. I don't have to do any of our usual herding/beating to get them out the door when it's time for martial arts. They've actually liked the times they've gotten to go to muay thai as well. It's a fun change of pace for them.

The 6 yr old is in the younger kids class, and the 10 yr old is in the older one, so the instruction and partner choices are also age-appropriate, which also helps.

Last edited by Medic4070; 20 April 2017 at 18:37. Reason: Added something
Old 20 April 2017, 21:11
The atomic zit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic4070 View Post
...The 6 yr old is in the younger kids class, and the 10 yr old is in the older one, so the instruction and partner choices are also age-appropriate, which also helps.
I don't know jack about teaching children martial arts and such. What I quoted is what I like the most, the younger one gets to teach and the older one gets to learn. And yes I understand the teaching and learning will happen in both directions. If you keep this thread up, it will be interesting to see how those two boys of yours learn and teach from/to each other.

My brother and I are four years apart. It took a while before we can except that either of us could teach the other and either of us could learn from the other.
Old 21 April 2017, 09:09
It is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic4070 View Post
I've got my 10 yr old and 6 yr old in at Trident Academy, learning BJJ and the occasional muay thai class. The instruction has been great- good student/instructor ratio, fun and simple drills/games that teach the basics, opportunities to grapple a little and roll around to challenge themselves, and they're having fun. I don't have to do any of our usual herding/beating to get them out the door when it's time for martial arts. They've actually liked the times they've gotten to go to muay thai as well. It's a fun change of pace for them.

The 6 yr old is in the younger kids class, and the 10 yr old is in the older one, so the instruction and partner choices are also age-appropriate, which also helps.
BJJ is great ground defense. I did that for a while and loved it. It felt a lot like wrestling. Muay thai was pretty decent, I did a small amount of karate was a kid.

Our new posting rules