Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 19 April 2017, 02:57
Livin' On Blues Power

damn, i was looking forward to the Oil game and 7- zip? An old fashioned shellacking. No wonder them goalies get all weird and talk to themselves.
Old 20 April 2017, 11:00
Been There Done That

CAPS fans have no room to talk about Crosby crying when Holtby is on the ice.

The amount of patience I have is proportionate to the number of witnesses present.
Old 20 April 2017, 14:26
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

The Blackhawks most epic playoff comeback begins tonight!

Or not.
Old 21 April 2017, 07:57
Confirmed User

Peka Rinne played the best 4 game stretch of his career and the Preds have some young players that really stepped up. I wasn't able to make it to either home game this week, hopefully I'll be more fortunate for round 2.
Old 21 April 2017, 08:53
Been There Done That

I never would have guessed the Blackhawks would be out in four and the Caps would be tied at two a piece.

The amount of patience I have is proportionate to the number of witnesses present.
Old 21 April 2017, 11:48

I guess this is what's called Lord Stanley's hangover, which comes from drinking too many times from the Cup over a relatively short period of time.

Have to credit the Preds, they brought their best game and simply dominated from the beginning of the series. What's shocking is that the Hawks simply never got their motor started, they just looked lost every game, with the exception of maybe one period. Rinne was a stud, he stopped pretty much everything the Hawks threw at him.

Nothing left for the Blackhawks at this point but to pick up the pieces, discard a few more and move on. They haven't been swept in a series since the '92 Cup Final against the Penguins. The Predators also became the first 8th seeded team in NHL history to sweep a #1 seed. That's both a testament to how good they are and to the complete collapse of the Hawks. There is no way to digest this, other than to see where they go from here.

At least Toews tallied a goal, his first in twelve playoff games. When your best players don't show up, you're done.

Looks like I'll have to revise my predictions of the Cup Finals.
Old 21 April 2017, 19:48
Livin' On Blues Power

I'm fresh out of Kleenex over them paste eaters from Chicago getting swept.

Ovechkin just got taken out with a hip check/low bridge by kadri. Kadri is gonna pay for that. Ovie hyper extended a knee and still down. Being helped off now with no pressure on the left leg. Kadri got 2 mins for tripping. Old fashioned hipcheck to me but some want to call them lowbridges. Grapes is ranting abut the tripping call now and it being a "beauty" of a hipcheck. Ovie was throwing his weight around earlier as Grapes pointed out.

Last edited by spectr17; 21 April 2017 at 20:01.
Old 21 April 2017, 20:11
I've got a gun too, mf'er

I have never seen a hip check to the knee before.
If that hit had been knee-on-knee, he would have gotten a 5, and probably a 10 as well.
You can make the argument he was not targeting the knee, but rather trying to throw a hip check (a la Orlov's beauty during the regular season). I think that might likely be true. But it is immaterial; once he went low and directly at the knee, intentional or not, it was an illegal (and dirty) hit (be it with a hip, or a knee, or whatever body part), and should have been penalized accordingly (or, he should get a call from the league office). Intent doesn't matter at that point.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 21 April 2017, 20:19
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Glad to see Ovi back on the ice.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 21 April 2017, 20:56
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
...not. ...
Was sitting in a sports bar roasting a good friend at his retirement and there was some sort of saber tooth tiger thing dancing across the screen with broom; we Blues fans are used to that kind of news...
Old 22 April 2017, 02:45
Livin' On Blues Power

that was a classic hipcheck, the fact he hit knee first before lauching him with the hip really doesnt matter. But as we know, the No Hit League doesnt like that.

And Ovie was running around playing wrecking ball. You do that and then admire the puck youre gonna get whacked.

and good to see Ovie was okay.
Old 22 April 2017, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
I'm fresh out of Kleenex over them paste eaters from Chicago getting swept.
If there is a silver lining in the Hawks getting knocked out of the playoffs, it's that now I can devote more time rooting for the team that eventually ends their playoff run.

Good to see Boston putting up a fight, at least one of the teams I picked to play in the Final is still alive.
Old 22 April 2017, 17:23
Violent Social Worker

Holy shit the Bruins come back. Sean Fucking Kuraly from Charlie McEvoy. 19 and 24. Kids!

24 year old Sean Kuraly scored his first two NHL goals, the tying and winning goals in an elimination game. His reaction to scoring his first goal was just incredible. Watching this 25 year old kid's exuberant "pinch me" celebration will be the highlight of the season even if they win the cup. You could see him on the bench like "ok be cool Sean, be cool, act like you've been here before" while grinning to himself.

https://youtu.be/GmDXbOf7oCU

Any lip readers?

https://mobile.twitter.com/mkmolnar/...36324224831488
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Last edited by Massgrunt; 22 April 2017 at 17:33.
Old 23 April 2017, 12:00

Great game between the Wild and Blues, I really thought the Wild would keep it going.

And Charlie Coyle was unbelievable in the last couple of minutes in regulation, gave the whole Blues line out there a lesson in puck possession behind their net.

Reminded me of a game we used to play in grade school called Maul Ball, one man against everybody.
Old 23 April 2017, 12:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
And Ovie was running around playing wrecking ball.
Yep, that the way he plays always looking for the big hit bullying his way on the ice. Nice to see someone give it back to him.

Old 23 April 2017, 15:41
Livin' On Blues Power

Freaking goalies, stay in the net. I predicted early in the season that Jake Allen would burn us in a big game with his wandering out for the puck. It cost us a game in the wild series and almost costs us a 2nd game. He got caught 3x times that I saw. Yeo needs to have a come to jesus talk with him, its gonna burn him again.

I wish we had Bobby Eyebrows back for some more pop but his knee rehab aint gonna allow that, even if we go deep.

The Oil advances. They are my dark horse pick.

Amazingly the refs got the goalie interference call right in the wild blues game. So far the refs seem to be doing ok, the usual make up calls but they havent had a big blown call that ive seen. You know thats coming.

And fuck gatarade for the Kane scoring on the Blues commerical. Skates off with the puck still in flight. Kiss my ass.

Last edited by spectr17; 23 April 2017 at 15:49. Reason: forgot the gatorade hate
Old 23 April 2017, 23:26
Confirmed User

Coyle can be an absolute beast at times, but then will disappear for long stretches. He just seems unable to maintain the intensity with a side of nastiness that the real deal power forwards have on a nightly basis. It was a quick end to an enjoyable season for Wild fans. Fletcher is going to have to do some serious evaluation of this group to determine if he needs to make changes to improve the team's ability to crank up the intensity for a playoff run. These guys seem to get it done in the regular season but have yet to prove themselves when things get real.
Old 24 April 2017, 01:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
that was a classic hipcheck, the fact he hit knee first before lauching him with the hip really doesnt matter. But as we know, the No Hit League doesnt like that.

And Ovie was running around playing wrecking ball. You do that and then admire the puck youre gonna get whacked.

and good to see Ovie was okay.
I concur, though it will add to the argument of reducing contact. The Americanization of the NHL started long ago.

The Leafs were a pleasant surprise and I can't complain. Next year could be interesting.
Old 24 April 2017, 14:01

Quote:

And fuck gatarade for the Kane scoring on the Blues commerical. Skates off with the puck still in flight. Kiss my ass.
LMAO

Even defeated and eliminated from the playoffs, it's good to see that the Blackhawks, especially Patrick Kane, can still get under your skin.

btw, Predators in 5. St. Louis will win game 4 just to give you a little glimmer of hope.
Old 24 April 2017, 14:36
Administrator

Good to see the Caps move on to the next round. But, you have to give credit to the Leafs and all of those rookies. Well fought. They are gonna be tough in the next couple of years. Once they went into OT in that last game though, they got owned by the Caps.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate