SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 16 June 2018, 11:48
In Vino Veritas

Quality Online MBA

I searched and didn’t find anything. Has anyone here completed an online MBA from a REPUTABLE school, not Devry or Phoenix...
Old 16 June 2018, 13:59
Been There Done That

I haven't completed an online MBA but I'm in the process. My search was based on the field of study and recommendations I received from several respected professionals in the field. I took the three schools that received the most recommendations and asked around regarding credibility of the program, marketability of graduates and overall value of the course. Though several traditional schools were also recommended, I was intent to do an online program so I selected National University out of San Diego. They also have an office in Quantico, VA with whom I interact mostly- advisor, issues, payments, etc.

The profs check out as well, I've done some background checks and they appear credible w/in their field....so far.

It's been user friendly and I'm having fun with the courses of study. The schedule is somewhat intense, in fact taking a break right now from writing another paper.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 16 June 2018, 15:29
Authorized Personnel

I remember a thread somewhere on here that discussed this topic. I received my MBA from AMU. Don’t recommend them, the courses were difficult for me but the accreditation is not widely accepted... think JV league...ACBSP vs AACSP which is more widely accepted.

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 16 June 2018, 15:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Has anyone here completed an online MBA from a REPUTABLE school, not Devry or Phoenix...
Probably a stupid question, but have you checked your closest public/state university? Lots of them have or are building online programs and online/distance MBAs are very popular, even for schools that aren't really "online".
Old 16 June 2018, 15:57
Been There Done That

Almost all of the big Ivy League schools and others like Stanford have online graduate programs now. Not cheap but would you expect an Ivy League school to be?

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 16 June 2018, 17:30
Policeman Officer

I believe mdwest is getting one through Oxford?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 16 June 2018, 18:28
Never to old to learn

Check out Hillsdale College 33 East College St Hillsdale, MI 49242 USA

Hillsdale College Online Courses onlinecourses@hillsdale.edu

I am taken some on line courses with them.

Last edited by wildman43; 16 June 2018 at 18:31. Reason: wording
Old 16 June 2018, 19:55
Scoundrel

Just do the Georgetown Global Executive MBA. It will work with your schedule and is a more interesting program than a straight MBA.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 17 June 2018, 08:57
Confirmed User

Hot Mess, are you using Post 9/11 or Vocational Rehab? I am in the same boat on the MBA. I still have eight months of Post 9/11 so I'm looking for something cost effective and reputable.
Old 17 June 2018, 11:57
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Just do the Georgetown Global Executive MBA. It will work with your schedule and is a more interesting program than a straight MBA.
I knew you’d have a good answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrrhic0369 View Post
Hot Mess, are you using Post 9/11 or Vocational Rehab? I am in the same boat on the MBA. I still have eight months of Post 9/11 so I'm looking for something cost effective and reputable.
I have about 6-9 mos Ch. 32 and then Post 9/11 and Voc rehab
Old 17 June 2018, 18:56
Been There Done That

I would second Jimbo's answer. That's one of the top 20 I told you about.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 17 June 2018, 19:13
I really don't care

My next door neighbor just completed her online MBA through University of Louisville. She said it was tougher online than anything she did in classrooms. It gets good ratings and they have many different focuses of study. Good luck Hot Mess.

http://business.louisville.edu/uoflmba/
Old 17 June 2018, 20:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrrhic0369 View Post
Check out Stanford GSB IGNITE Program:

https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/stanford-ignite/campus/post-9-11-veterans

Best deal EVER in terms of Veteran education. ONLY $2000

Check out this previous thread:

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=129043

SOCNET member "Balls" completed IGNITE in 2016(Great fella, met him for some beers on campus).

-----

Also, check out MITx, found at www.edx.org

LOTS of FREE stuff, and cheap stuff....but all quite reputable from a top tier school.

For those considering spending BIG, whether it's with G I Bill or cash/debt, be careful.

The world of higher education is changing very quickly and dramatically.

The world seems to be shifting towards the concept of "Just in Time" education.

A great example of it is MITx MicroMaster:

www.micromasters.mit.edu

They include certificates as well as the ability to advance and convert them into conventional Masters degrees with a single semester on campus(es).

For more IT based interest/fields of study there are also "nano degrees" from Udacity.

Large corporates sponsor inexpensive courses in AI, autonomous vehicles, data science, programming, digital marketing, etc. and pluck the top students.

We're talking Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Mercedes Benz.

-----

MBA's are becoming commoditised.

The REAL value of an MBA, especially from a school like Stanford, is not just the education(which I'd rate as better, but not immensely better than elsewhere), it's in the NETWORK you develop.

If you want skillset/knowledge, online MBA can be suitable.

But if you want to build a network, you can't do that easily with an online MBA program.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 17 June 2018, 20:50
Administrator

If someone else is paying for it, disregard my input.

Depends what you want to do with it. Unless you're going to get into an industry that requires a Georgetown, Stanford, add whatever high priced big name school you favor, I suggest you get the least expensive AASCP rated MBA.

There's plenty of clowns walking around with high priced big name MBA's who can't do business, put deals together or grow revenue, working in every type of industry.
Old 18 June 2018, 02:18
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
If someone else is paying for it, disregard my input.

Depends what you want to do with it. Unless you're going to get into an industry that requires a Georgetown, Stanford, add whatever high priced big name school you favor, I suggest you get the least expensive AASCP rated MBA.

There's plenty of clowns walking around with high priced big name MBA's who can't do business, put deals together or grow revenue, working in every type of industry.
LOL, that’s what I’m counting on. If those no talent ass clowns can make a solid living I shouldn’t have a problem.

The knowledge is about 50% what I’m seeking, the other 50% is the networking.

Last edited by Hot Mess; 18 June 2018 at 02:23.
Old 18 June 2018, 03:56

Honesty? Unless you need an MBA for a “check the box” reason, I would avoid it. Unless you attend a top 20 program, it’s not gonna help all to much for getting in with good firms. 90% of an MBA program is about the connections you make, it’s basically an old boys club.

The online programs are great though if you need it for government work or promotional opportunities. As far as reputable online programs, plenty of state universities offer online MBAs.
Old 18 June 2018, 10:48
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm410 View Post
Honesty? Unless you need an MBA for a “check the box” reason, I would avoid it. Unless you attend a top 20 program, it’s not gonna help all to much for getting in with good firms. 90% of an MBA program is about the connections you make, it’s basically an old boys club.

The online programs are great though if you need it for government work or promotional opportunities. As far as reputable online programs, plenty of state universities offer online MBAs.
Do you have a MBA?
Old 18 June 2018, 11:25
Confirmed User

I studies an MSc at Leicester University (distance) and would not hesitate to take their MBA program

https://le.ac.uk/courses/the-leicester-mba-dl

It's both AMBA and AASCP rated.

Good luck!

H
Old 18 June 2018, 11:27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
LOL, that’s what I’m counting on. If those no talent ass clowns can make a solid living I shouldn’t have a problem.

The knowledge is about 50% what I’m seeking, the other 50% is the networking.
Then you need a resident program, not a distance learning one.
Old 18 June 2018, 12:00
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Then you need a resident program, not a distance learning one.
A lot of local state universities also have evening and short-session resident MBA programs. I believe you'd have much better networking opportunities for businesses in your local area by attending a locally-known school vice attending an online program at a larger, nationally-known school.

Our new posting rules