SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 13 December 2008, 06:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc82nd View Post
Call me old fashioned but I prefer the long drawn out 2 year paramedic program that I'm on at my local community. I get plenty of clinical experience and all my Biology and A&Ps, plus an AAS. It is a lot longer but you get plenty of experience through the program.
Ya. Everything has it's differences, eh? I don't believe "accelerated curriculum" were created to appeal to the fast food crowd. It was a concept intended for adult's who need more eduction, but already submerged into the real world. It was intended to build on much information you are already expected to have and your maturity as an "adult learner." For example, a certificate paramedic or RN who needs the degree to stay competitive.

Not everything buys into it, though. I don't see any accelerated programs for MD programs or I'd be finding my way into it.
Old 13 December 2008, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Not everything buys into it, though. I don't see any accelerated programs for MD programs or I'd be finding my way into it.
The University of Missouri, Kansas City has one...... it is a six year program that takes you straight from HS to your MD.

http://www.med.umkc.edu/med_admissio...plication.html
Old 15 December 2008, 07:56
Confirmed User

So I am just wondering. Would requesting an accelerated operator course be welcomed, with the same open arms as the request for an accelerated medic course?
Just Saying.
Old 18 December 2008, 12:02

Accelerated Programs

Just a friendly warning to all. Any accelerated programs in the US that are accreditated are fine. However, a buddy of mine is a Chiropractor and went to one of those medical schools in the caribbean and had several interesting things to say about it. First, they are only interested in money and basically let you know that when you get there. Second, to practice in the US, you have to do a residency in the US, and good luck getting into one from a foreign school, he did and had good grades. Teaching hospitals usually have their affiliations and you will have trouble getting in. Also, check their USMLE pass rate.
Anyway, if you have healthcare experience the best route to go is Physician Assistant if you are a paramedic or Nurse Practitioner if you are an RN. I am currently an NP and the salary is six figures, and the school for either is a lot shorter. Consider the loan amt when you get out also, average med school loan is 800/month for 30 years.
Good luck to you and I hope all works out.
Old 19 December 2008, 05:53
Confirmed User

Just my two cents here real quick..I saw a post with ALSI as a resource. I have some experience with them-they are out of Conway, New Hampshire. It was a really good program.

They have all three programs, EMT-B (they also have a very good working relationship with SOLO), EMT-I, and EMT-P. I did my EMT-I with them and it was very good training, but you need to show up with your shit together..If you got your basic card two years ago and haven't done anything with it this isn't the course for you. Also you would need to remember this is a traditional EMS setting..if all you have every done is care under fire, you are going to need to brush up on patient care from an EMS standpoint. It is fast paced and short with alot of information and they expect you to be competent in order to facilitate their curriculum..if your not it will be a waste of money for you.

The good thing about it is that they tend to teach across the board as they are in New England, so they typically teach not only to National Standards but specific state standards as well. The end result is you get some good knowledge outside of your typical range. For me it was some great insight into how east coast EMS operates..

If I recall correctly the paramedic program is a shorter as well (the EMT-I was really short) but again, you have to know your stuff coming in. They have taught some SF, some PJ's, and the staff are good people with a very broad EMS skill set.

For me it was a great program, although my brain felt like it was melting by the time we were done.
Old 19 December 2008, 23:37

Last time I checked, the Erie Community College EMT-P program in Buffalo NY is two semesters, 3 days a week/6 hours a day. Full time course load for loan purposes.

You come out with your NYS license and NREMT-P. Good course, I went through it in 1998. Instructor is ex-AF.

Jim
Old 26 March 2014, 15:18
Been There Done That

Does anyone have a line on accelerated EMT-B courses in CO?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 26 March 2014, 20:09
Confirmed User

I think JTM out of Vegas has a mostly online course for a EMT B and you just have to show up for a few days to do clinicals.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 27 March 2014, 01:27
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Does anyone have a line on accelerated EMT-B courses in CO?
Fly out east and do it in New Hampshire. You'd like it up there. Nice area, good hiking, etc.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 27 March 2014, 05:05
Firearms Industry Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Fly out east and do it in New Hampshire. You'd like it up there. Nice area, good hiking, etc.
FWIW, any SOCNET folks coming out this way will receive the most hospitality I can possibly extend. I wish it wasn't so damn cold, because I can't think of any other reason to leave this state. Not sure why I ever left for so long.

There's a few schools around SOLO offering good programs, I'm looking to start the EMT-B (recert) and EMT-I in June. Pretty pumped, my experience with the course given in California left a lot to be desired.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 27 March 2014, 06:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
FWIW, any SOCNET folks coming out this way will receive the most hospitality I can possibly extend. I wish it wasn't so damn cold, because I can't think of any other reason to leave this state. Not sure why I ever left for so long.

There's a few schools around SOLO offering good programs, I'm looking to start the EMT-B (recert) and EMT-I in June. Pretty pumped, my experience with the course given in California left a lot to be desired.
I did my WEMT at SOLO. 4 weeks in New Hampshire - not a bad way to spend a month. I want to return to do geo-medic, but the timing hasn't been right.
Old 27 March 2014, 10:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Looking in CO for a reason. NH would be great but not for this.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 27 March 2014, 15:37
Policeman Officer

Gotcha.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 12 October 2014, 12:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
So I am just wondering. Would requesting an accelerated operator course be welcomed, with the same open arms as the request for an accelerated medic course?
Just Saying.
Medics with the experience that WPS requires already performed the same duties as EMT-Bs. The accelerated program is simply to gain the civilian quals that the military never gave us, and DoS needs now that we are working the "civilian" side. In my two tours as a medic of course we had medical emergencies, and we handled them just fine using the protocols and direction we had. I fail to see the need for paramedic training, though additional training is ALWAYS a good thing. How many cardiac patients are you going to see on WPS?
Old 12 October 2014, 22:29
Casual Observer

We actually had 3 cardiacs and a stroke on WPPS. And zero GSWs. Lots of the personnel we protected were older and risk.
Old 13 October 2014, 23:15
Confirmed User

Good to know. AEMT can also do acls. To think I was so focused on the protectors and not the protectee, the most important part of the operation. Anyhow, I'm taking an AEMT course asap to get working, however, I will definitely try to fit in a paramedic course online or whenever possible.
Old 14 October 2014, 16:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Looking in CO for a reason. NH would be great but not for this.
Nothing here in state. The local community colleges have 2 week refresher courses if you're withing 6 months of expiration and a summer course but nothing within 1 month or less. You would have to outsource to a private company that can set up the required clinicals and authorize you to test for NREMT. The locals "badge protect" when accelerated courses pop up here.
Old 16 October 2014, 16:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannister View Post
As a EMT-P, RN, and PA-C...
I'm thinking that having someone who "rushed" through medical training as a sole provider in an Austere environment... is not a good idea.

Just sayin...
X2.
Old 10 December 2015, 06:50
Registered Lurker

Fctc.edu
first coast technical college in Florida

Has a one year Paramedic program that my buddy completed a year ago
Old 10 December 2015, 06:54
Registered Lurker

This is my goal when I finish contracting. I want to go to Paramedic school on my GI-Bill, so I can have a career back home will I enjoy myself with my money and home I bought from contracting

Our new posting rules