SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 2 October 2019, 21:11
Confirmed User

Great info from PolyPro and others. I’ve been on HRT/TRT for a few years now and never really knew what all my labs meant. The Doc’s would zip through the info and throw a script at me and out the door I went. Researching the things I learned here put it all together, so, Thank you.

I started on Androgel when I was contracting and would take over a 3-month supply. I’d extend (or be extended) a few extra weeks here and there and never understood the yo-yo effect, or the mood swings I’d inevitably get when I was home. I did that for a couple of years.

A couple of years ago I found another guy on contract with me who was getting pellets and never had mood swings or yo-yo on his levels.

I found a doc and started doing pellets. Did that for about 2yrs, but had to pay out of pocket. $500 - $600 every 4-6 months. (Androgel was covered by insurance to treat my low-t, but pellets wasn’t. Didn’t make sense.) Pellets were good as putting the gel on everyday got old real quick. I felt stable on pellets but still lacking the libido and still fatigued and moody.

I’m not contracting anymore and earning a regular paycheck now, so I asked the same Doc that gave me the pellets if he would prescribe me injectables and he did. I’m using his recommended compounding pharmacy and prescribed Text/Cypionate and breaking it up 2 times a week and tweaking my amount so I can fine tune.

Labs pulled: Sept 26 at 1400hrs and 5 days from my last injection.
Test: 803
Free: Test: 19.6
SHBG: 24.32
T3: 3.56
T4: 5.9
DHEA-S: 265.34
Estradiol: 28.91
PSA: 0.9

I’m 50yoa, 5’10”, 215lbs, solid, with a gut and nowhere near as physically active as I was for the 10yrs contracting. I still feel like a moody bastard, and my libido isn’t where I want it to be. Stress at work is definitely a factor, but everything else is good. Started working out again but not to the level I was overseas.

My numbers are good all around, but I think I need to be higher, like in the 1,200 range. I’ve hit that before on my first pellet treatment. The Doc pulled labs from me in between and then dialed the next insertion down a few pellets. (I was getting 10-12 pellets at a time). I felt great at 1,200 and clearly remember the libido was amazing!

Does anyone know what the numbers for guys on a steroid cycle are? Is 1,200 too high?

Last edited by Sgt Jeep; 2 October 2019 at 21:13. Reason: Edited to add: I am a crusty old bastard and generally hate everyone.
Old 3 October 2019, 20:54
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Jeep View Post

My numbers are good all around, but I think I need to be higher, like in the 1,200 range. Iíve hit that before on my first pellet treatment. The Doc pulled labs from me in between and then dialed the next insertion down a few pellets. (I was getting 10-12 pellets at a time). I felt great at 1,200 and clearly remember the libido was amazing!

Does anyone know what the numbers for guys on a steroid cycle are? Is 1,200 too high?
Mildest Test "Cycle" for non-TRT purposes (lowest is usually 500mg/wk) will have you in the thousands
3,000ng/dl and higher. 1200 is fine if your doctor deems it so, and your health markers are fine (RBC, Hemoglobin, Hematocrit). Low Libido has a ton of different causes. Your Estrogen, while "normal", may be the cause. Are you on an AI (Anastrozole a.k.a Arimidex)? I'd like to see how your libido is with Estrodiol at 35-40? You can raise your DHEA-S a bit too - top of range is 375. I like Life Extension 25mg disolving tablets under the tongue. Not a doctor, ask yours. Pellets are a money making scheme (as is Gel/Cream) - created because of some BS bias against injections, due to the holier than thou attitude in this country related to the "evil steroids" - always inject if you can.
Old 4 October 2019, 19:22
Confirmed User

I am past due to have blood drawn:
WBC: 9.44 (High with range from 4.23-9.07
RBC: 5.87 (High end of range:4.63-6.08)
Hematocrit: 54.2 (High: 40.1-51)
Hemaglobin: 18 (High: 13.7 -17.5)

I just started DHEA-S and Preg and I am taking Anastrozole once a week. I think I am going to start smaller injections 3xW and no Anastrozole.
Old 5 October 2019, 05:59
BTDT

Quote:
I am past due to have blood drawn:

RBC: 5.87 (High end of range:4.63-6.08)
Hematocrit: 54.2 (High: 40.1-51)
Hemaglobin: 18 (High: 13.7 -17.5)

I just started DHEA-S and Preg and I am taking Anastrozole once a week. I think I am going to start smaller injections 3xW and no Anastrozole.
What's your elevation where you live? A bazillion people who live in the mountains are out of range - and they're not all dead/have a higher mortality rate. Sounds like you have a good Doc, he'll know.

I would definitely (with his permission) try NO Anastrozole. The stuff is just not good for you. Estrogen is so cardio protective, bone mineral protective, aids is muscle mass accrual, and key for libido. Unless you develop symptoms of Gynocomastia, don't worry about E2. This is the current protocol for the big name Docs in TRT right now - smaller injections, more frequently, with no AI.
Old 5 October 2019, 21:25
Confirmed User

only 700' above sea level and no gyno.
Old 6 October 2019, 07:52
BTDT

Quote:
only 700' above sea level and no gyno.
Roger - go with what your Doc suggests for sure.
Old 6 October 2019, 11:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Roger - go with what your Doc suggests for sure.
Thanks for your time. Where do I send the case of your fav beverage too?
Old 7 October 2019, 09:32
BTDT

Quote:
Thanks for your time. Where do I send the case of your fav beverage too?
Ha! I did nothing Donate to SOCNET, GOA, or FPC instead
Old 7 October 2019, 17:18
Been There Done That

It's been about a month for me back on TRT. Some interesting changes happening. Energy-levels are good, I'm crushing my workouts, mental clarity is there again.

One thing that I have noticed is that I've put on another 10#s. Is everyone else experiencing a weight gain? My guess is water retention.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 7 October 2019, 18:23
Isiah 52:13-53:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
It's been about a month for me back on TRT. Some interesting changes happening. Energy-levels are good, I'm crushing my workouts, mental clarity is there again.

One thing that I have noticed is that I've put on another 10#s. Is everyone else experiencing a weight gain? My guess is water retention.
I gained initially as well. About 10lbs. I was supplementing creatine at the time. I know it increases cell volume thus holding water. Also depending on your workouts muscle mass gain will be a factor as well. SB mentioned that for me earlier in this thread. As others have mentioned here. Measure inches lost around the gut wheel vs being weight number focused. Feels great doesn’t it. Salute out to Poly and others again from me.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

ďA little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.Ē -Francis Bacon
Old 7 October 2019, 19:24
Been There Done That

Got seven pellets under my skin a few days ago. Big bruise and still sore at the injection site. Probably doesn't help that it's right where I carry my handcuffs. Lol! I'm hoping it'll start kicking in soon.
Old 8 October 2019, 13:53
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post

TRT doses don't add the crazy mass that 2 grams a week does, but High Normal T has been shown in studies to increase your bodies' muscle "set point", or "walking around weight". A month is a little quick, but after a year, you will probably be 10-15lbs heavier with no increase in body fat. *Any* added muscle tissue, brings Glycogen with it - which is Carbs and Water.

Keep tracking it. Water fluctuates like crazy, especially after a good salty meal.
Old 8 October 2019, 13:58
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Got seven pellets under my skin a few days ago. Big bruise and still sore at the injection site. Probably doesn't help that it's right where I carry my handcuffs. Lol! I'm hoping it'll start kicking in soon.
Once you get dialed in (high normal T range with good a E2 level), the order in which you should see improvement are: Sleep first (dependent on daily stress levels obviously - T can't fix *everything*) - then Energy/Not Grouchy - then Libido - Finally Gym Performance/Recovery.
Old 8 October 2019, 15:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Once you get dialed in (high normal T range with good a E2 level), the order in which you should see improvement are: Sleep first (dependent on daily stress levels obviously - T can't fix *everything*) - then Energy/Not Grouchy - then Libido - Finally Gym Performance/Recovery.
Thanks for the response. That's good to hear.
Old 8 October 2019, 21:24
BTDT

Quote:
Thanks for the response. That's good to hear.
Two OTC things to look at are Pregnenelone and DHEA. Preg is the Master Hormone, all hormones are made from it. DHEA declines as we age. 50-100mg/day Preg, 25-50mg/day DHEA, based on blood work. Life Extension DHEA Under Tongue Tablets work well - verified by blood work. LEF makes 50 and 100mg Preg - that you want as an oral capsule, as first pass liver metabolism is where the magic happens.
Old 10 October 2019, 12:40
BTDT

A SEAL buddy of mine turned me on to this organization. He is a patient there and says his TRT treatment is free (non-profit organization) and they know what they are doing more importantly. If you are a SOF veteran check out https://warriorhealthfoundation dot org/

Last edited by Global Med; 10 October 2019 at 12:51.
Old 3 November 2019, 20:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Two OTC things to look at are Pregnenelone and DHEA. Preg is the Master Hormone, all hormones are made from it. DHEA declines as we age. 50-100mg/day Preg, 25-50mg/day DHEA, based on blood work. Life Extension DHEA Under Tongue Tablets work well - verified by blood work. LEF makes 50 and 100mg Preg - that you want as an oral capsule, as first pass liver metabolism is where the magic happens.
Ok, finally got around to ordering both of those and starting to take them.
Old 4 November 2019, 08:59
BTDT

Quote:
Ok, finally got around to ordering both of those and starting to take them.

Nice. The DHEA you can test for pretty cheap - your Doc may even require it on his panels? Preg is expensive to test for - they have to use *Gas* Chromatography Tandem Mass Spec - it's expensive as hell. So Preg is more of a multi-vitamin type thing, just take it. Both of my Docs said take it, but they never required bloods for it. It converts to Allopregnenelone in the Liver, which has a calming effect - I take mine in the evening.
Old 5 November 2019, 08:55

Hey AZ, I’ll be interested in the results of how you’re feeling on DHEA and Preg, I’m looking into ordering it also.
Old 5 November 2019, 10:58
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpaws View Post
Hey AZ, Iíll be interested in the results of how youíre feeling on DHEA and Preg, Iím looking into ordering it also.
It's not really something you're going to acutely go "holy crap, this is awesome!" You're just back filling pathways that decline naturally with age. They're OTC supplements (DHEA is made from Wild Yams IIRC) - if they had "Drug Like Effects", the FDA would regulate them.

Our new posting rules