SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 15 January 2019, 10:40
Freelancer

Another thing that hurt gun rags. I was looking at an old issue of one and they were reviewing the M&P 2.0. They installed and aftermarket trigger and barrel. The gun was brand new and of course it got the usual praise. I'm sitting there thinking if it was so good out of the box. Why change out parts?

When I review a weapon I run it stock. It does a disservice to a reader who wants to make an informed purchase.
Old 15 January 2019, 15:03
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Not sure why the rumors started, but haters are gonna hate....
Pretty sure it's the usual "there are only so many students to spend money" type of thing, where other guys use his *admitted* non-BTDT experience against him (but does he even teach classes? Never saw him pimp any training?).

He made a post recently along the lines of "20 years in LE as a quality to pick a trainer, is only really a benefit if that 20 years was hard won, and not writing tickets in Beverly Hills" - which is true. That of course brought out rebuttals to the rebuttal, yadda, yadda.

All John Shaw did, was shoot too - a lot of Unit plaques on that guy's wall.

Never saw the "sped up" proof - but being bias for this kid, does it really matter if he can draw from concealment and face shoot at 7 yds in 0.2 second, hung over, and he sped it up to 0.1 second? It's like someone speeding up Lewis Hamilton's Formula 1 laps, LOL!

Lovell earned it, but yeah, he mentions some yahoo's in the positive, but I guess if we all agreed on everything, life would be boring.
Old 15 January 2019, 16:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
I watched his explanation for his statement concerning Vets and he was spot on. There was nothing he said that was incorrect.

He is a competitive shooter and holds his own. Like SB said, as to his speeding up the camera for video purposes...I don't know, but I have seen video that he intentionally sped up and it was noticeable. When watching his videos where he is shooting with others, there is no evidence that his portion is sped up in the slightest in comparison. Not sure why the rumors started, but haters are gonna hate....
I think the point GPC was trying to make, is that if your are so into guns/shooting/tactical stuff then instead of shooting and making videos in your back yard, take the long walk over the line into LE or the Military and do it for real. Don't be like your brother in law.
Old 15 January 2019, 21:38
Administrator

Frankly, the point that if someone like shooting and is good at it then they should join is ludicrous

It also gets old seeing it posted. The kid never says a word about anything regarding tactics or "if I was."

The entire line of thinking is petty and beneath what we should be addressing on this site.
Old 16 January 2019, 00:43
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
He passed away a few years ago. I like his book the best of SOF gun reviews.
I'm sorry to hear that about Kokalis. I never met the man but enjoyed reading some of his stuff in Shotgun News.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 16 January 2019, 08:36
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
I'm sorry to hear that about Kokalis. I never met the man but enjoyed reading some of his stuff in Shotgun News.
I learned quite a bit about the M60 from him. Kept my 60 running like a top when issued one.

I like Buck Doyle's articles and Pat Mac they are direct and no BS
Old 16 January 2019, 14:21
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
+1. He had a very distinctive style of writing.
Old 17 January 2019, 05:11
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
He has had a couple clowns on his shows, but overall, I like his programs. He is one of my YouTube bookmarks as a regular. I do like his perspective on a lot of issues...plus...he is always happy!
Bought a couple SERT pistols and iDryfire Trainers from his company, Telluric Group. Good stuff.
Old 17 January 2019, 17:40
Deplorable

Wolfe Publications is about all I look for to purchase periodicals these days.
Handloader - Rifle Magazine particularly and occasionally Successful Hunter.

Denny Hansen is still printing the best of Louis Awerbuck's articles in the back of SWAT Magazine, so I'll look at that as well.

The rest of the gun rags are hit and miss for entertainment and marketing news.

I get the majority of my personal books from Safari Press.
Anything from Aagaard, Capstick and of course - O'Connor.

Yes - I have all of Jeff's books.
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 20 January 2019, 09:26
Freelancer

^^^ I have a few of Capstick's books like his writing style.
Old 20 January 2019, 12:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
^^^ I have a few of Capstick's books like his writing style.
Capstick is good reading. Classics now.
Old 9 February 2019, 08:58
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Capstick is good reading. Classics now.
The last Ivory Hunter is one of my favorites.

Just got the new issue of Ballistic getting tired of reviews of $7500 handguns. I rather read reviews about stuff working folks can afford sigh.
Old 11 February 2019, 09:05

Quote:
I rather read reviews about stuff working folks can afford sigh.
Thus my preference for Military Surplus.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 15 October 2019, 10:40
Freelancer

I was looking at the new issue of Recoil. They actually printed a bad review of the Kel-Tec KS7. I almost had the big one.
Old 15 October 2019, 11:04

Quote:
I was looking at the new issue of Recoil. They actually printed a bad review of the Kel-Tec KS7. I almost had the big one.
Gotta throw a curve ball now and then so people will comment on it in other publications, which works like free advertising. You should ask them for a commission.

Our new posting rules