SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 20 October 2019, 13:58
Been There Done That

I want Brian Cashman fucking fired, and I want every Yankee slugger who struck out more than 10 times this post season traded for starting pitchers. And I want the physical trainer fired, since the health of the team is like somebody drove a bus full of geriatrics off a cliff. This is baseball, FFS, how the hell do people get injured so badly and so often?

The Yankees have forgotten the legacy of what brought them all those championships 20 years ago- ace starters, ace closer, hitting for average and playing Joe Torre style small-ball.

What they've done is gotten back to why they sucked in the 1980s during the height of Steinbrenner's hubris- throwing big bucks at washed up sluggers like Dave Winfield (and now Giancarlo Stanton) only to watch them strike out when it counts.
Old 20 October 2019, 15:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
I want Brian Cashman fucking fired, and I want every Yankee slugger who struck out more than 10 times this post season traded for starting pitchers. And I want the physical trainer fired, since the health of the team is like somebody drove a bus full of geriatrics off a cliff. This is baseball, FFS, how the hell do people get injured so badly and so often?

The Yankees have forgotten the legacy of what brought them all those championships 20 years ago- ace starters, ace closer, hitting for average and playing Joe Torre style small-ball.

What they've done is gotten back to why they sucked in the 1980s during the height of Steinbrenner's hubris- throwing big bucks at washed up sluggers like Dave Winfield (and now Giancarlo Stanton) only to watch them strike out when it counts.
That tends to happen to teams who play against the Astros.
Old 20 October 2019, 16:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
That tends to happen to teams who play against the Astros.
Which part of what I wrote happens when playing the Astros? The Brian.Cashman part or the Dave Winfield part?
Old 20 October 2019, 17:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Which part of what I wrote happens when playing the Astros? The Brian.Cashman part or the Dave Winfield part?
Youíre complaining about their performance/striking out. They had a good team. They just lost to a better team.
Old 20 October 2019, 17:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Youíre complaining about their performance/striking out. They had a good team. They just lost to a better team.
Again
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 20 October 2019, 20:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
You’re complaining about their performance/striking out. They had a good team. They just lost to a better team.
Of course the Astros had a better team. They have had a better team than ours for several years and my complaint is that Cashman has done nothing to address it.

The Yanks had a good team for the regular season, not the playoffs. For all the bitching about how the "Evil Empire" buys championships, when they spend all this money on sluggers, it goes nowhere. When they drafted and developed wisely in the 90's, you saw what happened.
Old 20 October 2019, 21:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Of course the Astros had a better team. They have had a better team than ours for several years and my complaint is that Cashman has done nothing to address it.

The Yanks had a good team for the regular season, not the playoffs. For all the bitching about how the "Evil Empire" buys championships, when they spend all this money on sluggers, it goes nowhere. When they drafted and developed wisely in the 90's, you saw what happened.
I donít watch the Yankees much other than when they play the astros, but looking online, it looks like they are ranked 1 for runs, and 2 for home runs and RBIís.
Old 21 October 2019, 09:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
I donít watch the Yankees much other than when they play the astros, but looking online, it looks like they are ranked 1 for runs, and 2 for home runs and RBIís.
And that is fine in the regular season playing hundreds of games against trash opponents. But when you have a bunch of guys who strike out literally 5 times for every home run they hit, it goes nowhere in the playoffs. They have not built a team designed for the playoffs, as evidenced by their 7 failures there this decade.
Old 21 October 2019, 10:05
Confirmed User

^^Add 'The Parrot' Encarnacion too to the overhyped Stanton list...and Sanchez. Strikeout kings. Where were Romine, Clint Frazier and Tauchman? Some young blood to give them a spark. This team needs some stud pitchers if they want to go anywhere.
Old 21 October 2019, 13:06
Shakin' the bush Boss

On the other end of that you have my beloved Braves, who had three of the best pitchers going and won 1 world series in 14 playoff runs.
Old 21 October 2019, 18:47
Been There Done That

Oh Hey!

Lifetime Houstonian here. Astro Buddy at a very young age. Went to 3 games against the Rays, two against the Yankees to include game 6, Which was unbelievable. I'll be there tomorrow night.

Stros have knocked out the Yankees the last 3 years and the whining from New York never ends. 27 rings..yeah, yeah. The new one "tank job". Yep, you bet, suffered through seasons over 100 losses, some 110. Built a deep organization with a young talent "core group" similar to 90's Yankees.

Many are trying to emulate it, but none of it guarantees success, the Astros figured it out for now, rebuilt their farm club and made some good trades.

The problem becomes... do you spend to resign a Cole? Who becomes a Yankee target as they don't care about the luxury tax or stick to Jim Cranes philosophy of not funding your competitors by paying said tax.

They currently are the best in the AL hopefully they keep it going.

Nationals are deeper in rotation and have some hot bats, they share a training facility and are very familiar. It will be interesting to see if the Stros can start hitting again. Experience pays off, they have been there and well as long as you have Altuve...

Stros in 6!
Old 22 October 2019, 10:45
Been There Done That

From what I have heard, the Astros can’t afford to keep Cole and it’s pretty much already settled that he will be leaving. They are going to have big trouble if they lose him, followed by Verlander retiring in a couple years and they aren’t able to replace them.
Old 22 October 2019, 18:17

This probably correct. However, the Astros have Verlander and Grienke for two more years and Lance McCullers is coming back from Tommy John surgery next year. That is your 1,2 and 3 starters. They also have top, cant miss, pitching prospect in the minors they will have to promote at some point. He has been designated as untouchable by the team is past trade negotiations, but we will see.

As great as Cole has been, he cannot keep up this pace. He has not lost a start since LAST MAY. They will probably make a competitive bid and then let the Yankees or Dodgers grossly overpay with some monster long term contract. They may be well served to take that money saved and get a stud bullpen since bullpen starts and "opener" pitchers seem to be the coming trend.
Old 22 October 2019, 21:26
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
You forgot plenty of steroids for those ace starters and an inability to grow talent in the farm system necessitating an excessive payroll to lure free agents.
Old 22 October 2019, 22:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
You forgot plenty of steroids for those ace starters and an inability to grow talent in the farm system necessitating an excessive payroll to lure free agents.
Steroids? There ain't been no steroids around for centuries man. You been freeze dried or doing hard time?

WTF are you even talking about? My whole line of reasoning is that the Yankees are fucked up because they sign big ticket free agents who strike out alot instead of growing talent (especially pitching) in the farm system like they did in the 90's. How did I "forget" that?
Old 23 October 2019, 00:29
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Steroids? There ain't been no steroids around for centuries man. You been freeze dried or doing hard time?
Plenty of former Yankees on this list...especially in the end of their 90s run.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Yankees-implicated-in-performance-enhancing-drug-3295306.php

I get it, any team is tainted if you did hard enough. But let's not pretend those teams were clean.
Old 23 October 2019, 10:02
Been There Done That

Well, I've said for the last few games, eventually the law of averages catches up with you, last night was not a good night for Cole to not have his A game.

Lots of National fans at the game, almost as obnoxious as the Yankee fans who just left.

Astros are like 10 for 82 with Runners in Scoring Position in the playoffs and left 11 on last night. Has not been the pitching ( even not having his best stuff he went 7 innings) Astros are not driving in any runs.

Very few lefties can hit that ball where Soto hit his last night, opposite field on the train tracks. He crushed it.

While not really numerically, tonight is a must win for the Stros.
Old 23 October 2019, 10:54
Confirmed User

Scherzer is painful to watch. His mechanics are fugly. Last night was not a great night for him; he didn't pitch well, but just well enough.
Old 23 October 2019, 13:19
Been There Done That

Most of Coles problems were caused by Soto. Defense as a whole did not perform well last night. Let’s see if they adjust tonight. The Yankees destroyed them in game 1.
Old 28 October 2019, 05:07
been ***** **** that

I did not see much of the game last night, just the highlights this morning. Great job Astros! Nationals fans can eat lint, you bunch of CHUDS, you classless punks!

Our new posting rules