SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 14 March 2019, 09:25
Freelancer

Weirdest Weapon Malfunction You've Experienced?

I thought this might be a interesting topic.

Few years back I was shooting my Wilson CQB. It has a failure to feed, I go to jack the slide and it won't move? I drop the mag and try again no joy. Taking a closer look I notice the slide release had moved out just enough to prevent the slide from moving.

I put it back in place and use a fresh mag, no issues. I try the mag that I removed and it does it again. Looking at it, the rounds were going to the left just enough to cause the slide release to move while cycling. I pulled the mag and mark it and finish up.

I managed to replicate this in two other 1911s. I promptly ball-peened the mag. The mag was a Wilson mag, it's the only time I have ever had that happen. It did give me the excuse to shitcan the extended slide release, for peace of mind.
Old 14 March 2019, 09:41
BTDT

When I was training/overseeing training on a Navy contract, the Beretta 92's had the snot shot out of them. They would eventually fail to fire...unless you held them upside down.
Old 14 March 2019, 09:45
Shakin' the bush Boss

I had an M4 extract a piece of brass, rotate it 180 degrees and shove it back into the chamber backwards.
Old 14 March 2019, 11:20
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

I don't know what they are called, but to get a line from one ship to another the process begins with something that looks like a single-shot grenade launcher shotgun looking thing firing a ball of twine at the other ship. The twine is attached to a thicker line, which is used to haul the real connecting hawser across the space between the two vessels. I saw one of those launcher guns, when fired, completely disassemble itself into a half dozen pieces, one of which was stuck through the top of a guy's boot into his foot.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 14 March 2019, 12:00
Been There Done That

Was with my brother trying out his new KelTec Sub 2000 .40 when it malfunctioned by breaking in half. Not confidence inspiring.
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80
Old 14 March 2019, 12:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
I don't know what they are called,
Sounds a lot like the Bridger Line Gun. A single shot .45-70 that shoots a brass rod. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn3nz9z9-h0

My most peculiar failure wasn't discovered until after the range. Had a Glock 23 disassembled to clean and noticed one of the frame rails had broken off and disappeared. It was functioning fine, with no indications of any failures. Sent it in to Glock and they replaced the whole frame.
Old 14 March 2019, 17:55
Been There Done That

Mine was probably with a 249 in Ranger school (blanks).

Maneuvering on an OBJ and it quit. Immediate action was a no go, and probably made it worse. Feed tray cover was hung up, had to kickstart the bolt open. Open the tray cover to see two links tangled together at 90 degrees from each other half in and out the round channel. Flip it up and I’ve got a deep double feed in the chamber. Leatherman the links out eventually, can’t dig out the double feed, pretty sure I had to kick the barrel off the receiver, got those cleared. Everything back together and onto the OBJ.

The good news was all the RIs had gone onto the objective and no one saw me defile a schoolhouse gun, and they were well into the consolidation phase when I showed up.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 14 March 2019, 18:12
Red Headed Stepchild

Do aircraft weapons count?

Weirdest pistol malfunction I can think of, although I'm not sure it qualifies as a malfunction. I put a snap cap in the magazine to simulate a failure to fire...then shot through the whole mag until the slide locked back without stopping. I accused my buddy of switching my mags but he swears he didn't. Still haven't figured that one out.
Old 14 March 2019, 18:25

Not one fired by me but we located it when trouble shooting an AR15 that would not work.

Primer blown deep inside the gas key...
Old 14 March 2019, 19:27

Not that unusual a malfunction, but the thought process that caused it was odd.

Gal pal had a pristine, 1970's S&W Model 19 she'd inherited from her aunt. Went with her and her father to a range, where he gave her some of his reloads. It was the first time I'd met him, and he casually mentioned that he was trying to make the most economical .357 loading, by using minimal powder charge.

They headed down to pistol side, and I went to zeroing a rifle & scope.

About a half hour later, Dad comes over and asks if I have a cleaning rod. I gave him an M-60 section with the t-handle, and he sticks it in muzzle of the Model 19, and proceeds to WAILING the handle of rod against one of the 6x6 timbers that hold the overhead firing line cover.

Turned out that his economical, minimal powder-charged rounds were not sufficient to drive the *jacketed hollow point* bullets, out the muzzle. Gal was inexperienced enough to not realize she had fired three squibs...

I didn't have the heart to ask dad why he used JHPs, for his economy loads.
Old 14 March 2019, 20:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Welshan View Post
Was with my brother trying out his new KelTec Sub 2000 .40 when it malfunctioned by breaking in half. Not confidence inspiring.
My issue was with the same gun, but the malfunction was less catastrophic. The Glock 22 15 round mags seat higher in the gun that in the G22, so the grip is shorter on the KT. The lower part of my hand was putting pressure on the base of the magazine, unseating it enough to create a misfeed. I was all set to send it back, but after a buddy fired a full magazine through it with no problem, we figured out it was my grip.
Old 14 March 2019, 20:23
Custom User Title

Not a malfunction exactly. Waiting around in Iraq, allowed our embedded combat camera guy to mess with my SAW. He gave it back to me and since we were about to step off on a raid I did a function check. He had installed the the entire operating system backwards. No clue how. A half hour later I was firing at a guy shooting out of a window.

I was telling a teammate about this a couple years later and he called bullshit. I went to show him how easily it could be done and completely failed to replicate it. I don't know how he did it.
Old 14 March 2019, 21:16
I reckon so. . .

This thread is picking up.
Could be re-titled, Gun Ghost Stories LOL.
Old 14 March 2019, 21:19
Shakin' the bush Boss

Rocking with an M60 and blanks on a training exercise at night. Yes, I'm that old. Malfunctions, immediate action, shoots once, malfunctions. We're in the defense, getting probed. Once the attack is over I get out my flashlight, the center rod of my blank adapter detached from the device and was sticking in a pine tree about 20M downrange, where I had been shooting at some dudes.
Old 14 March 2019, 22:02
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
Not one fired by me but we located it when trouble shooting an AR15 that would not work.

Primer blown deep inside the gas key...
Do we know each other?!

I've actually had this happen to me in Afghanistan. While the primer didn't blow all the way into the gas key, it was getting consistently thrown up over the BCG in the chamber causing the BCG to jam up back in the buffer tube. Fortunately, we had a castle wrench on hand.

ETA: We figured out the problem was that I was getting too much gas in the chamber while shooting suppressed for the round I was shooting.

Safety is binary - Security is emotional
Old 14 March 2019, 22:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
pig stories
I AG'd for a gunner from my company in PLDC cause I was a line dog who'd gotten a 240 with my tab. we were at the end of a L shaped ambush on a linear danger area.

"what do you need me to do with this decrepit fucker besides feed it?"

"keep cranking on the piston nut with the wrench with one hand, feed with the other."

god... what a worn out, clapped trapped piece of depot rebuild that thing was. our gun teams and armorers kept them running like a top, but by the time we transitioned, we needed new production receivers to keep them reliable.

they carried easier, especially after the 10th mile, but man... those Mag 58/240s would just eat and eat, and eat rounds. I had one eat the 100rd cloth bandoleer from an ammo can without a hiccup. I did have a talk with my AG about that one.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Last edited by KW Driver; 14 March 2019 at 22:20.
Old 14 March 2019, 22:19
Hard to Kill

I have a few, well more than a few, but here some of the top hits.

I had an 870 shotgun that all of a sudden quit operating. Operating in the sense that I somehow bent the magazine tube and it jammed up the slide and rails and would not feed another round. Still don't know how I did that.

Glock 21, shooting shooting, failure to fire, tap rack bang, shoot shoot. Slide locks to rear and will not go forward. I finally have to smack it with a rubber mallet to get it to move. Find out that the tap rack bang shout out a bullet from a squib load and put the slightest bulge in the barrel. The hole in the slide got wedged over the bulge.

AR 15 in 7.62 x 39. Shoot, shoot, shoot, bolt locks to the rear, cannot get it to go forward. Long story short, the extractor breaks and lodged between the buffer tube and the BCG, locking the BCG in the buffer tube. I have to beat the BCG all the way to the back of buffer to dislodge the broken extractor.
Old 15 March 2019, 07:35
BTDT

Does getting your 90's Monopod stuck in a Little Bird Pilot's bungee net in the back - and fighting with it to no avail, until the bird gets light on the skids - and having to let it go on a ride around McKenna without you, count?
Old 15 March 2019, 07:53
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Does getting your 90's Monopod stuck in a Little Bird Pilot's bungee net in the back - and fighting with it to no avail, until the bird gets light on the skids - and having to let it go on a ride around McKenna without you, count?
100% Operator error.
Old 15 March 2019, 07:57
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
100% Operator error.
Phuck you

Our new posting rules