SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 10 May 2018, 16:18
Make a desert and call it peace.

Barret cut off Californicate over a decade ago.

Also, while I suppose some snake tongued advocate could cook up some seemingly legitimate police use for a 50cal, I suspect it's some bosses toy. In my advanced state of cynicism, I'm not surprised how often this happens. I know for 100% fact it's why CPD initially bought FA M4's, which have proven to be a real CF when it comes to actual deployment by someone who could possibly put them to use in the public interest. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 10 May 2018, 16:32
Been There Done That

If we could just get Glock on board.
Old 10 May 2018, 16:44

Jesus Christ if Glock cut off LE the 'REEEEEE' would be heard on goddamn Mars.

I'm sure Colt, still suffering from addiction-withdrawal shakes from it's relatively recent Mil contract losses, would pounce on a nationwide LE contract vacuum faster than you can say "I'll suck yo dick, man!".
Old 11 May 2018, 00:19
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

That letter was sent 11 DEC 2002.
Old 11 May 2018, 00:49
Custom User Title

These things are nice gestures that don't affect or matter to the decision makers at all.
Old 11 May 2018, 02:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
These things are nice gestures that don't affect or matter to the decision makers at all.
True. But these gestures certainly buy the loyalty of the manufacturers' core market. I think Ronnie Barrett did that with the purest of intentions-- exactly as stated in his letter from so long ago-- I think he was hurt, pissed, betrayed, and probably mad that they were using something so obviously "Barrett" to hurt his business (at least that's the way I took the letter, and the follow-on ads restating that Barrett was no longer interested in doing business with certain states and/or agencies)... but the fact that he wrote it made him the only .50 manufacturer I would consider, back in '07, when I had a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket, and a hankering for a new five-oh. So I bought one.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who went out and bought a
Barrett just before the 2007 primaries, when front-runners Hillary and Barack were fighting it out for the nomination, and I'm sure I'm not the only guy who remembered Barrett's letter.
Old 11 May 2018, 07:55
BTDT

Two recent incidents:

Chinese student does a mass stabbing, killing 9 HS students

Mass shooting in Australia kills 7

"You can't legislate evil"
Old 11 May 2018, 09:26
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpel308 View Post
That letter was sent 11 DEC 2002.
haha, well so much for me being on top of current affairs
Old 11 May 2018, 09:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Two recent incidents:

Chinese student does a mass stabbing, killing 9 HS students

Mass shooting in Australia kills 7

"You can't legislate evil"
They forget about this one also:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-26402367

It is not a gun problem, it is an evil problem.
Old 14 May 2018, 14:43
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

So there is an "art" exhibit on display in Chicago, I guess it's meant to convey the notion that obtaining guns in Chicago is as easy as renting a Divvy bike (actually, it's probably easier, but I digress).

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/loc...lay-in-chicago

As you can see from the photo, the array of AR-15s are nestled into Divvy bike docking stations. How clever! How innovative!!

And then I recalled an Onion article from a few years ago that came up with the same idea basically, only mined for humor. The Onion piece was much funnier and in essence conveyed the same idea. I'm wondering if the "artist" didn't subliminally remember the same article. Or perhaps they remembered it vividly and just decided to rip them off.

Here's the Onion piece from a few years ago:

https://www.theonion.com/chicago-int...ons-1819577357

Old 14 May 2018, 15:21
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Here's the Onion piece from a few years ago:
I hope the Onion sues their dicks off.

I doubt it, since the Onion trends left.
Old 14 May 2018, 16:30
Never to old to learn

Guns don't Kill people. PEOPLE kill People
Old 14 May 2018, 17:11

The irony should not be lost in the fact that they have to use fake guns in the prop because it would be literally illegal to use real ones. I suppose no one with a triple-digit IQ would fail to grasp that, but being that these are "art" project by liberals, for liberals, I suppose most will not have the capability comprehend that.
Old 14 May 2018, 18:16
Been There Done That

IF they would make the kiosk accept EBT cards - and actually charge them - I'd buy into that franchise :)
Old 15 May 2018, 06:59
Clorox bearer for SOTB

NY in its infinite wisdom, is doing away with all their schools archery and rifle programs. Reason? Because those programs teach violence.

Instead, every student will now be issued a big pink vagina hat on graduation.

I think they should do away with drivers Ed, as that program teaches drunk driving.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 15 May 2018, 08:01
Confirmed User

LOL, what? Have they ever met any of the students that actually participate in those programs? They are typically far and away the most focused and mature students in their grade. At least in my experience. I used to shoot competitive air rifle when I was younger and I never met anyone that wasn't just as nice as could be but laser focused when it came time to compete.

Currently, I'm using those same principles to teach my son how to focus and control himself. It's working wonders. It will be a huge mistake for any state to get rid of those programs.
Old 15 May 2018, 08:43

Mistake? Not at all. The people that make that decision are terrified of and hate the people that benefit from these programs. Deliberate malice is not a mistake. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 15 May 2018, 09:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
NY in its infinite wisdom, is doing away with all their schools archery and rifle programs. Reason? Because those programs teach violence.

Instead, every student will now be issued a big pink vagina hat on graduation.

I think they should do away with drivers Ed, as that program teaches drunk driving.
I'm watching this pretty close. A Democrat Assembly Woman from NYC introduced it in the Assembly. No Co-Sponsors and no identical bill in the Senate.

I'm still trying to remember why I moved back here when I retired from the .mil....
Old 15 May 2018, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
I'm watching this pretty close. A Democrat Assembly Woman from NYC introduced it in the Assembly. No Co-Sponsors and no identical bill in the Senate.

I'm still trying to remember why I moved back here when I retired from the .mil....
Brain damage from the malaria drugs and IED's blasts... S/F....Ken M

- Robert E. Lee
Old 15 May 2018, 10:20
Confirmed User

I'm in the same boat as Forestboy. I try to tell myself I am part of the resistance, the advon for the lead element, or I've conducted an insertion via retrograde operations through the deliberate receding of the front. ;-) Just don't forget about us up here.

I did take mefloquine...a lot.

I hope that the discontinuance of firearms sales by bigbox stores helps bring back biz to the small gun stores again.

Our new posting rules