SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 19 September 2020, 19:36
Reverse Apache Master

You mean to tell me that all that collaboration, diversifying, and inclusifying wasn't a substitute for actually working?

My graduate school cohort hated me. All they ever talked about was how "everyone should have a voice and have their opinions heard" and then they'd want to sit around talking about shit while doing nothing.

My standard replies were, "And now that your voice has been heard, STFU and start typing. This 150-pager isn't going to write itself", or something along the lines of "You made a 46 on the Accounting mid-term. Your opinion doesn't count for shit. Go fetch the coffee."

Last edited by KS11; 19 September 2020 at 20:03.
Old 19 September 2020, 20:12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
My graduate school cohort hated me.
Yeah, me too. The shitbags anyway.

I would go to the professors and hand in papers and tell the profs that "Joe Shitbag did not contribute one single word to this project and you should fail him in this class. He's an idiot and doesn't deserve the degree at the end of the road."

Some of them listened, actually, and failed the shitheads. A few did not.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 20 September 2020, 13:17
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Congrats! If you were the class meanie god knows what they would have given me...
I believe in you. After all these years, you must be a master of blending in with the local populace and winning hearts and minds???

Nope, just kidding, you'd have been peered out in the first semester... but it would have made great Reality TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
My graduate school cohort hated me. All they ever talked about was how "everyone should have a voice and have their opinions heard" and then they'd want to sit around talking about shit while doing nothing.
This, so many times over. Loooooong wasted hours of chatting about all the what-ifs because everyone's voices were "equal:, even if they had no concept of the assignment. On average, we had the correct answers during class homework projects within an hour or so... but then someone would say "but what if..." and since every opinion needed to be heard, we'd always spend 3-4x longer than needed in order to come to "agreement" on our initial solution that we had in the first hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I would go to the professors and hand in papers and tell the profs that "Joe Shitbag did not contribute one single word to this project and you should fail him in this class. He's an idiot and doesn't deserve the degree at the end of the road."
I did this twice and it got me nowhere. Then, I realized it is the institutions which allow people to be this way. So, for the last year or so I just kept my mouth shut, did my work, PT'd before and after class and tried to keep my heart rate down.

I went into this program feeling under-qualified based on other people's resumes. I left the program with one simple understanding: People are boobs.

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 20 September 2020, 17:20
exquisitus asinus

Congrats!

I had a similar experience in my MBA program.. but not nearly as bad as what I think most of you guys dealt with... Mostly I dealt with a handful of smarmy 20 somethings that had never actually worked in the business world before, but thought they knew how to solve every percieveable problem because they had memorized porters 5 forces or some shit...
Old 27 September 2020, 15:41
Confirmed User

A few MBA observations (I did an Ivy League EMBA, it typically shakes out top 10-12 in the rankings).

- If you are over 30 or married, EMBA is probably the way to go. Full time MBAs are great for networking and drinking, but if you have serious family or professional stuff to do, an executive program is usually a better fit.
- Use GI Bill or Voc Rehab - they will pay for a top MBA.
- It is frustrating to deal with regular people who have never actually done shit with their lives...the degree will be worth it in the end so just try and get through the requirements without murdering someone on your learning team
- There will also probably be annoying veterans in your program, who love playing the veteran card or telling stupid "leadership" stories. 9 times out of 10 they will not be combat arms or SOF....try to avoid killing them as well.
- Most of your professors will be dipshits. Be nice and friendly with them and that will go a long way when they give you grades.

Outside of Harvard, Wharton, or Stanford, most T25 schools should not be super competitive within the class. Most of us as veterans are not competing for 1 of 3 IB spots at Goldman or trying to go into PE/VC. I have heard that outside of the M7 schools, most of them are far more collaborative and the hardest part is getting in.
Old 8 October 2020, 10:42
A Texan in exile

Lol, I figured out pretty quickly that the recent wall streeters in my class all immediately reverted back to their college behaviors (partying as much as possible) since they'd had NO time to do that the last 2-3 years as analysts. Many of them were there to check a box rather than learn something.

Also learned that even in a top 5 program the admin is way more motivated to create donating alumni than to ensure robust skills development and washing out those that dont carry their weight. They support this by requiring in the honor code NO disclosure of GPA or class rank. The top 10% f the class carry a specific distinction but below those, everyone is the same. Can create a pretty large free rider problem.
I tended to see the vets and/or older/more experienced students frustrated by this.

I agree with the EMBA rec for older students unless you are considering a significant career change. my experience was most EMBA students were sticking with their current employers and the career center support for them just wasn't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERSTYX View Post
A few MBA observations (I did an Ivy League EMBA, it typically shakes out top 10-12 in the rankings).

- If you are over 30 or married, EMBA is probably the way to go. Full time MBAs are great for networking and drinking, but if you have serious family or professional stuff to do, an executive program is usually a better fit.
- Use GI Bill or Voc Rehab - they will pay for a top MBA.
- It is frustrating to deal with regular people who have never actually done shit with their lives...the degree will be worth it in the end so just try and get through the requirements without murdering someone on your learning team
- There will also probably be annoying veterans in your program, who love playing the veteran card or telling stupid "leadership" stories. 9 times out of 10 they will not be combat arms or SOF....try to avoid killing them as well.
- Most of your professors will be dipshits. Be nice and friendly with them and that will go a long way when they give you grades.

Outside of Harvard, Wharton, or Stanford, most T25 schools should not be super competitive within the class. Most of us as veterans are not competing for 1 of 3 IB spots at Goldman or trying to go into PE/VC. I have heard that outside of the M7 schools, most of them are far more collaborative and the hardest part is getting in.

Our new posting rules