SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment > RLTW Archives

Old 15 February 2003, 19:36
saberknight
Visitor

running

Do ankle weights help give a dirt or uphill feel effectively? I used em a few years ago and was just wondering if they were actually good for you. Also, when rucking, is it a jog stlye trot or a fast walk, Ive read different things, but dont wanna injure myself. It should also be known that I havent rucked ever and my running sucks right now, but im working on that. Thanks for the help
Old 15 February 2003, 20:14
Mad Slasher

This should be moved to the PT thread.

Ankle weights will only help you run better with weight on your ankles. They won't help you run any faster without em and you will be placing more pressure on your feet up through your legs. I'd avoid using em for reasons of possibly getting stress fractures, especially if you are running on a hard surface.
Old 15 February 2003, 22:24
Been There Done That

Donít put that crap on your ankles itís hard enough on you body to run donít make it any harder, donít listen to all the shit about lighting your ass on fire and running, just run and get in shape like everyone else, there is no ďGreat Ranger SecretĒ for running just run, as for road marching no matter how many times you do it, it still sucks (in my opinion itís mostly a mind game)
Old 15 February 2003, 23:44
On the Extract Bird

Just run normal and push yourself.. find someone that runs better than you and try to run at their pace.

Roadmarching isn't anything special, fancy, or anything. It's just carrying heavy shit on your back for long distances. Just takes time to get your feet used to it, otherwise it's pretty easy. just walk.

Little roadmarch tricks I've learned... all dependant on the scenerio...

undo one or even 2 buttons on your bdu fly. it'll circulate more air
blouse your boots outside, more comfort factor

change up how you wear your ruck.. positioning and shit.. that way it slightly changes how it rubs/hangs off your body.

Just little things... drink water. lol
Old 18 February 2003, 14:01
Reaper375
Visitor

Just do what Ranger Nate does to stay in shape...

Throw a 40lb ruck on yer back filled wif sex toys...

Enlist the help of a Big Bull Queer, and get him to chase you...

An drop the sex toys whilst ya run, thus lightening the load and giving him some things to play with when he does catch ya.
Old 18 February 2003, 14:03
Reaper375
Visitor

Re: running

Quote:
Originally posted by saberknight
Do ankle weights help give a dirt or uphill feel effectively? I used em a few years ago and was just wondering if they were actually good for you. Also, when rucking, is it a jog stlye trot or a fast walk, Ive read different things, but dont wanna injure myself. It should also be known that I havent rucked ever and my running sucks right now, but im working on that. Thanks for the help
Get ready for yer feet to turn into hamburger. If you do it properly and wear boots (which ya will when you ruck with a Ranger unit) also be ready to have fucked up feet the rest of your life. I don't know a Battboy alive who doesn't have the world's worst ingrown toenails that they let get deep and fester, and then YANKS 'em out to watch the blood an pus flow. Fun thing to do by yerself with a beer an a movie on.
Old 18 February 2003, 17:09
Been There Done That

Dam Reaper youíd make a great Recruiter.
You make it sound so SEXY
Old 18 February 2003, 18:46
Whatever Sucks the Most

You nimrod.

There are ways to fix your goddamned toenails so they don't do that, you know.

It's called fucking foot hygiene. Any good Ranger doc or SF medic can educate you.

Failure to handle that shit can result in a debilitating infection in the jungle. Pus in the extremities....great thinking shithead.

It's for shit like this that Ranger medics need to get Bonehead Beaters issued along with their goddamned aid bags.
Old 18 February 2003, 18:51
Reaper375
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by magician
You nimrod.

There are ways to fix your goddamned toenails so they don't do that, you know.

It's called fucking foot hygiene. Any good Ranger doc or SF medic can educate you.

Failure to handle that shit can result in a debilitating infection in the jungle. Pus in the extremities....great thinking shithead.

It's for shit like this that Ranger medics need to get Bonehead Beaters issued along with their goddamned aid bags.
Fuck you ya Cuban Bongo-player.

I keep my tootsies powdered, dry, and ALWAYS... ALWAYS keep extra socks with me on a ruck march or wherever. I change 'em when applicable, and take care of 'em.

When walking long distances with a heavy ruck on your back... you're GOING to have fucked up toenails. Stuffed into boots is a sure way to have your toenails go south on you. I take care of my shit, ya unassuming leg bastard. Next time I pull one of those nice tender slivers of joy, I'm mailing it straight to you.
Old 18 February 2003, 23:00
Pilot, Break Left SPIKE!

Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper375
HAHA, ROFLMAO!!! :D

Quote:
I take care of my shit, ya unassuming leg bastard.
Uh oh... :D , pullin out the heavy guns.
Old 19 February 2003, 16:20
Reaper375
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave the Impaler
HAHA, ROFLMAO!!! :D

Uh oh... :D , pullin out the heavy guns.
Eh... might not want to antagonize, lest the man turn on you. Just friendly advice. My teasing Magician was friendly Ranger-to-Ranger shit-stirring. 'Sides, I bet he can dance a mean Merengue... you know...the FORBIDDEN dance...
Old 19 February 2003, 16:26
Been There Done That

Quote:

I keep my tootsies powdered, dry, and ALWAYS... ALWAYS keep extra socks with me on a ruck march or wherever. I change 'em when applicable, and take care of 'em.

When walking long distances with a heavy ruck on your back... you're GOING to have fucked up toenails. Stuffed into boots is a sure way to have your toenails go south on you. I take care of my shit, ya unassuming leg bastard. Next time I pull one of those nice tender slivers of joy, I'm mailing it straight to you.

lisa must have been in the room. explains the lowering of the bass in his voice. fuck. tony, ya used to be so damn much fun until SHE walked into the room. now yer gonna take everything personal 'n shit. you gonna be this way when we go to fondle yer toys?

next thing you know, you and mike will be having "how to suck a tit to get the most out of it" sleepovers. sheeeesh. think i'm gonna unsubscribe if it keeps going this way.

combat patch
honorary combat pudd puller ass. pres.

Last edited by rgrjoe175; 9 February 2012 at 18:27.
Old 19 February 2003, 16:30
Reaper375
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Nate
lisa must have been in the room. explains the lowering of the bass in his voice. fuck. tony, ya used to be so damn much fun until SHE walked into the room. now yer gonna take everything personal 'n shit. you gonna be this way when we go to fondle yer toys?

next thing you know, you and mike will be having "how to suck a tit to get the most out of it" sleepovers. sheeeesh. think i'm gonna unsubscribe if it keeps going this way.

honorary combat pudd puller ass. pres.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by rgrjoe175; 9 February 2012 at 18:27.
Old 19 February 2003, 18:10
Pilot, Break Left SPIKE!

Quote:
... lest the man turn on you...
*silence*
Old 19 February 2003, 22:16
Whatever Sucks the Most

sigh

Back at at Ranger Batt (1st PLT "Bad 'Muthers," Co A, 2/75), we had this kid named Ernie Hall, AKA "The Rat."

The Rat was injury-prone. You know the type. Anytime you went to the fucking field, The Rat was the one guy who would stumble into the goddamned old fighting positions the Legs left unfilled and camouflaged for Rangers to fall into, busting his ass, big time. He was always good for a twisted ankle, or slicing his hand open while sharpening his Gerber, or breaking a finger while practicing fire and maneuver. He didn't fake this shit, didn't fake injury.....anyone else would have gotten bored and given up. The Rat was for real, and he was a medic's worst nightmare. One time, he punched a stick RIGHT into his fucking eyeball on a night movement, and I will never forget it, as I was the goddamned medic who got to stabliize the fuckwad and wrap every goddamned piece of bandage and kerlex and cravat and ace wrap I could find around his head so the stick wouldn't move. Everytime someone would blow on it, The Rat would scream, which was pretty funny, but he was about THIS CLOSE to losing the eye.

Anyway, I ended up graduating from Ranger School (14-81) with The Rat, which really sucked, as he was from my platoon back at Batt and I couldn't just tell him to fuck off and leave me alone in my own little private hell. I had to actually take care of the fuckstick's itchies and owies, regardless of the fact that there is no time for bullshit in Ranger School, as anyone who has been there knows. Those West Pointers who stuck together and implemented slickydick plans to artificially manipulate peer reports, on the other hand, and with whom I had several fist fights in the patrol base over the course of several patrols, those guys I could tell to eat my ass and often did, with the exception of a couple who were pretty cool. There was also the fact that Ranger students who were medics were forbidden to take care of other students, as the cadre wanted to see all injuries, pronto, so they could screen and refer injured students to their own medics. So I had to help out The Rat, regardless, with scavenged medical supplies, no time, hiding everything from the RI's.

The major problem with ending up in the same class as The Rat is this: I was recycled twice, and I was a walking deadman. I think The Rat was recycled at least once or twice. I was never recycled for injury. I was recycled for a boatload of major minuses (fighting with officers) garnered on one infamous patrol gone wrong, wrong, wrong, and for failing the goddamned land nav test (one stake right or left? I chose wrong). The Rat....you guessed it. He busted his ass, broke his ankle, separated his fucking shoulder....you name it, he did it. He was injured, and got to eat peanut butter and chocolate in the rear. I got to go from one class right back to another one, with no break, and Ranger School for me was truly 120-days of nut-squeezing.

Well. By the time we're in Florida Phase, and most of us are all tabbed out, it turns out The Rat is still sweating it because his fucking feet are destroyed and he can barely walk. Why are they destroyed? Because the dickface failed to practice good foot hygiene. His goddamned toenails are all ingrown and curled and his toes are infected and shit, and he had the beginnings of pitting edema in his shins, which any medic will tell you is an omen of cellulitis. It can be really bad news, and it often requires antibiotics, and at minimum, it requires constant and careful monitoring.

So, who does the goddamned Rat come to? He won't go on sick call. Oh, no. He doesn't want to get recycled again. He won't consider it it, even if it means risking serious infection, or dying due to sepsis. He comes to HIS doc. Fucker. His fucking feet stank. His toes were nasty as shit. His toenails were CURLING and yellow and long and all grown into the sides of his toes, which were swollen all to hell and oozing pus that stank so hard it gave me whip-lash. The Rat claimed total ignorance. "I don't know what happened, doc." With that moronic vacant Rat-look on his face. I saw that look so many times I could have busted tree trunks with my head.

Well, you can imagine what I had to do. I had to get what I could weasel out of the RI's and the RTB medics without raising eyebrows...so I scared up some hydrogen peroxide, some rubbing alcohol, and sharpened up my Swiss Army knife. Then I stuffed a drive-on rag in The Rat's cakehole and proceeded to yank all those nasty toenails and debride all those stinky pus pockets....A bunch of guys were holding The Rat down....he was thrashing and bellowing behind the gag and sweating and arching his pelvis like he was trying to fuck the air.....and I used diluted hydrogen peroxide and Q-tips to get inside the pus pockets and really scrape the shit out of them. Then I packed them with clean gauze and wrapped him up the best I could, and then I got to change the goddamned bandages everytime we had a chance, like every night in the PB, and every day we were holed up for planning or whatever. Instead of eating chow, or cleaning my weapon, or taking care of my own goddamned feet, I got to take care of The Rat, and look at his nasty feet, which stank like FEET, but worse, by the way.

Yes, that is what being a medic is all about. But you know what? There is always some motherfucker like The Rat for a medic. You always run into these asswipes in schools where it is hard enough just to keep your own shit wired tight. And of course, you have to take care of them. It's your job, and yup, the motherfucker is from your platoon. Happens everytime.

Wah, wah, wah.

I think my happiest day in BN was the day Ernie Hall ETS'd.

So I'm a little impatient with little bitch grunts who think they know what they are doing. Sue me.

:)

Last edited by magician; 20 February 2003 at 09:14.
Old 21 February 2003, 00:42
saberknight
Visitor

lol, the rat, thats funny,

Thanks guys for the help, another question, is a ALICE pack necessary to ruck, am I just fucking myself by using a cheap 2 year old school backpack? I would figure so, but if not, no need to spend the hundred bucks or so.
Old 21 February 2003, 13:39
Reaper375
Visitor

Re: sigh

Quote:
Originally posted by magician
So I'm a little impatient with little bitch grunts who think they know what they are doing. Sue me.

I ain't faulting ya one bit. Just don't place The Rat's problems on me. My shit is kept nice an clean, washed like a mufugger, and all that. Just years of grinding on'em has destroyed any chance of growing 'em out normally. I've gone to the doc and had 'em removed and whatnot.

My feet an shit work well for me. They brought me through 6+ years of life in Batt, which ain't an easy feat. I lived. And They're still my main method of transportation next to a car.

Bitch :)
Old 21 February 2003, 13:56
BTDT

Magician:

Great story:

Just curuious, you have any contact w/"the Rat"?

Terry
Old 21 February 2003, 18:08
Confirmed User

just for the wannabes

Magician

Sir,

Would you write a post on how to take care of one's feet properly? What should BUDS wannabes do differently since their feet will be wet most/all of the time? Thank you for your time.
Old 21 February 2003, 21:04
Whatever Sucks the Most

Tony:

Bite me, snatch. :)

Terry:

No.

If I ever saw Ernie Hall somewhere, I would turn and haul ass most 'tick. I kid you not. I doubt the motherfucker even remains among the living. If there was just one way to fall off a cliff, The Rat found it and did it. If there was a disease that no one else had ever contracted in the history of medical science, The Rat became the test-case documenting it in the Encyclopedia of Tropical Medicine. While everyone else in the platoon would get a little black palm on their hands, The goddamned Rat would fall onto a log of it and get spiny needles all up his ass and backside.

I remember staying up all night one precious friday night pulling black splinters out of the Rat's pasty ass while everyone else was down at La Fleur in Colon getting laid by the ugliest hookers in Central America.

Which reminds me of this one time (in bandcamp). I was still young, like a PFC or something, so I was keeping a pretty low profile. We were in Colon, Panama, in the canal zone, across Gatun Bay from Ft. Sherman. We were there for JRTC, I think. The Bad 'Muthers squad leaders were playing Spin The Bottle or some other fucked up drinking game in La Fleur....I'm pretty sure it was La Fleur because that's the only whorehouse in Colon that I really remember through the brain-damage of years and alcohol. Anyway, one of the squad leaders was this guy named Chuck Conway. He was a funny guy, a prankster. Always goofing off, but pretty cool to his newbies. I dimly remember him, as I was pretty young when he was still with the Bad 'Muthers, and everything that happened to me in Life Before Ranger School (LBRS) remains hazy.

Anyway, the other squad leaders distracted Chuck with some whore, she was bending over, showing him her stinky brown-eye or something like that, and then they grabbed this old fag, I am not shitting you, he must have been 80-years old....he was wearing this blue goddamned dress with frilly sleeves and collar....he was an old queer....he HAD NO TEETH, my hand to God, he had NO HAIR....just grey STUBBLE because he was used to wearing WIGS....and he had these rheumy blue eyes that made him look....ill....just ill....and they put this sad old homo under the table, handed him a ten spot, and then everyone grabbed Chuck Conway and held him down.

Everyone near Chuck grabbed his arms...they grabbed his shoulders....they held his head and got down on the ground behind his chair and held him down by his waist....they grabbed his legs....they would not let that poor fucker up, would not let him move....and someone, I don't remember who it was except it might have been this guy named SGT Lindberg...unzipped Chuck's fly and took his dick out of his pants and told the old fag under the table to suck Chuck's dick.

Chuck was bellowing like a speared whale, just yelling in rage, not even speaking English, just inarticulately screaming and swearing. He couldn't move an inch, and that old fag sucked his dick.

This has to be the funniest fucking thing I have ever seen in my entire life. I laughed so hard I literally fell down on the ground, and could not get back up. My stomach was killing me, it ached so hard. I was in tears, and I was not the only one.

I'll never forget how we laughed at that poor son SOB. I seem to remember that this prank was payback, too....for something Conway had done to someone else. We should get Birch on here. I'm pretty sure he was there, and will remember the whole thing with more accuracy.

Phew. Ok. Moving on....

tex....

well, I would be pleased to write something up for groundpounders.....not so sure how useful it would be for SEALs, because I'm not one. I have spent a lot of time wet, but....squids live in the fucking water, and I am definitely not a squid (better them than me, and good luck to them).

If this is something that might be useful, just let me know. It is friday night now, and momma's out at an arts and crafts class with her girlfriend (yeah, right), my son is killing aliens on his computer, and I've got Billie Holiday--uh, Black Sabbath--on the stereo.

I could use something constructive to do besides surf the net and drink beer.

Last edited by magician; 21 February 2003 at 21:35.

Our new posting rules