SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 2 April 2020, 09:31
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Thomas Edison State University will take all CLEP credits plus your mil equivalents.
Excelsior College in NY and Charter Oak State College in CT are the same way. Very flexible with what credits they will accept. All three of these schools are also very comfortable working with military and veteran students who have credits from multiple schools or venues.
Old 2 April 2020, 09:34
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Conversely there are institutions that do not accept or even acknowledge CLEP.
My first college venture in NC was a surprise. Just checked their website, CLEP and CLEP exams didn't return any results at all.
A lot of schools are pretty hard ass about wanting you to take classes at their school. Every credit they allow you to transfer in is XX number of dollars they aren't making off of you. Especially for schools that aren't used to working with military and veteran students.

Some schools are learning and have created offices/officers specifically set up to help veteran and military students get into school and get all their credits transferred in.
Old 2 April 2020, 09:38
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
CB's gouge
Two details to add to this from inside this world.

(1) The push is for 120 credit hours (no longer 128-138), with a reasoning that 15 credit hours per semester (5 classes @ 3 credit hours each) across four traditional years is the general norm. Some states actively discourage degrees from greatly exceeding 120 hours. Indiana Bloomington (which I'm looking at right now) tops it out at 128.
(2) If you rack up the courses, a great many of them may only qualify as electives, and different majors have only a certain percentage set aside for the major. I'm still going to have you take ten to twelve courses at the upper division level in the major, and I'm only going to accept a certain percentage of those from some other college--the bulk of those upper division courses in the major have to be from us if we're going to put our name on your degree.

If your purpose is to get a degree, regardless, so that you have the B.A. or B.S. after your name, then the general studies path may well be the appropriate path. If your goal is to tackle an advanced degree, get guidance on setting up the CLEP/DANTES/undergraduate path so that the Master's/PhD. path is more obtainable.

There are places that would love to take your money and give you an advanced degree, but that the professional world would look at your training and decide that you were not at all trained to do the advanced work well and your opportunities would be limited accordingly. [And that, of course, varies by sector]

[Edit -- to build on GrayRhyno's post, it's not so much that I want to make money off of people by having them sit on our campus rather than take the transfer. It's that the downward slide in standards means someone could find the easiest courses, not get the training, and then we get the blame (through the degree) for what was actually the result of someone else's scam of money-taken-and-little-training given.]
Old 2 April 2020, 10:46
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
[Edit -- to build on GrayRhyno's post, it's not so much that I want to make money off of people by having them sit on our campus rather than take the transfer. It's that the downward slide in standards means someone could find the easiest courses, not get the training, and then we get the blame (through the degree) for what was actually the result of someone else's scam of money-taken-and-little-training given.]
I do sound pretty jaded in my post. That must be the Eeyore in me.
Old 2 April 2020, 11:03
Confronting the Reckoning

Naw, I'm just not as avaricious as some in my profession. Maybe that's a flaw.
Old Yesterday, 13:32
Been There Done That

Lots of great info here, especially the feedback from others. When I was on active duty, I enrolled into a university and got a pamphlet of what courses could be tested (CLEP/Regents/DANTES, etc). I took a CLEP course every Friday for about 2 months. I would use a study guide the week prior and some even had videos at the education center or library. I only "failed" during that time, but ended up retaking it prior to graduation. Once I completed all the CLEP tests that my university would take, I started on the DANTES and Regents exams. I basically only had to take courses in my major to graduate. All in all, I'd say I only spent about 1.5 years taking classes at night. I'm guessing it could be less for smarter or more motivated folks. Good luck!

Our new posting rules