SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Post Exchange

Old 23 March 2018, 16:12
Confirmed User

Gah, antibiotics are awesome, and awful. When you need em, nothing else will do.

The Rophi is punchy, so brew it a bit hotter to tone down the acidity. Super sweet and juicy, though.
Old 29 March 2018, 06:19
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Gah, antibiotics are awesome, and awful. When you need em, nothing else will do.

The Rophi is punchy, so brew it a bit hotter to tone down the acidity. Super sweet and juicy, though.
The Rophi is EXCELLENT. I brewed a regular pot of coffee. Used my Clever Dripper. And made some cappuccinos the way you told me to do. Crema heaven.

Three ways to make coffee and all 3 turned out great.

My favs in order are the cappuccino. Then the dripper then the coffee maker.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 31 March 2018, 12:18
Confirmed User

Another order placed for that delicious, cancerous elixir known as coffee.
Old 5 April 2018, 10:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1961 View Post
The Rophi is EXCELLENT. I brewed a regular pot of coffee. Used my Clever Dripper. And made some cappuccinos the way you told me to do. Crema heaven.

Three ways to make coffee and all 3 turned out great.

My favs in order are the cappuccino. Then the dripper then the coffee maker.
Jack of all trades? Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Another order placed for that delicious, cancerous elixir known as coffee.
I'll be firing up the cancer machine tonight!
Old 7 April 2018, 05:35

Quote:
Jack of all trades? Sweet!

I'll be firing up the cancer machine tonight!
I have a question about my Astra. I back flush weekly but just filled the reservoir and am not liking the taste. How do I drain the whole thing and start over? I used a different spring water than I normally do. Tasted the leftover water and dunno whatís up but it tasted weird. My husband bought it for me & got the wrong source. I use Crystal Springs sourced from Blue Ridge. Itís the only one Iíll drink or use. I can taste the difference if itís from another source. My husband says I have freaky taste buds & has tried to trick me before but Iíll take one sip and say this isnít from Blue Ridge. He bought this by mistake. But I want it out of the Astra.

Any way I can just drain it rather than having to turn it on and back flush and/or pull shots without the coffee?

I want that water out of there.

Any help is appreciated.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 7 April 2018, 10:22
Confirmed User

Sure, just set it on the counter by the sink, drape a towel over the edge of the counter, then tip it upside-down with the cap off. You'll get most of it that way, then just run water through the group until it beeps.

Water makes a big difference, for sure! LA has good water, and I have a good filter on my fridge, but Fiji tastes better.
Old 8 April 2018, 00:49

Quote:
Sure, just set it on the counter by the sink, drape a towel over the edge of the counter, then tip it upside-down with the cap off. You'll get most of it that way, then just run water through the group until it beeps.

Water makes a big difference, for sure! LA has good water, and I have a good filter on my fridge, but Fiji tastes better.
Thanks. Smart ass me decided to fill it most of the way full.

I was hoping you knew a trick where I didnít have do the above.

I almost wish I didnít have the palate I do. One little thing throws it off or messes up the taste for me.

I can seriously pretty much tell you whatís in a dish by smell alone. Also smelling is almost as good as tasting it. When we go out to eat and my husband or friends or family order stuff with gluten in it the aroma is almost as good as if I were tasting it.

One tiny taste and I can also tell you pretty much every ingredient in it.

Our friends try and be considerate and order gluten free too but Iím always like ďno PLEASE be my guest and order whatever you want because Iím happy to just inhale the aromas.

Regarding the water ... I like the Crystal Springs sourced from Blue Ridge better than the Fiji because it has more of a mineral taste. When out and about and traveling if I canít get my Blue Ridge Crystal Springs then Fiji is my go to water.

Old 9 April 2018, 11:44
Confirmed User

Shoulda been a truffle hunter, Linda. I wonder if this Blue Ridge water is available around here?
Old 9 April 2018, 17:08
Confirmed User

So I just got an Aeropress in time for my travel today but haven't used it yet. Any suggestions on grind, amount time to brew, etc ? Thanks in advance...
Old 9 April 2018, 19:55

Quote:
Shoulda been a truffle hunter, Linda. I wonder if this Blue Ridge water is available around here?
I like to eat them but not dig around in the dirt for them. It would mess up my manicure.

On your side of the country I think the Ouachita source should be available. Iíve had that source too but the Blue Ridge source is the best.

If you have Earth Fare stores out there they carry it sourced from Blue Ridge and Morganton, NC. The Morganton & Blue Ridge taste almost the same. I think Blue Ridge wins it by a nose.

Old 9 April 2018, 20:06

Quote:
So I just got an Aeropress in time for my travel today but haven't used it yet. Any suggestions on grind, amount time to brew, etc ? Thanks in advance...
I would not grind espresso fine but also not as coarse for drip. Try it somewhere in between. Youíre just going to have to test it to see what you like.

And watch the seal on it. Air can cause the coffee to pop out on your hand. Not fun. And if the seal does start acting up. Soak it in very hot water before you brew.

You should get a good number of cups before any of those pop up though.

Enjoy!!

Old 11 April 2018, 07:07
Confirmed User

Thank you, ma'am. The coffee i brought with me is finer than what i use for French press at home. Its the Columbian, btw. This Aeropress rocks. And I see what you mean with that seal - that could get messy. Appreciate the tips!
Old 14 April 2018, 03:41

Quote:
Thank you, ma'am. The coffee i brought with me is finer than what i use for French press at home. Its the Columbian, btw. This Aeropress rocks. And I see what you mean with that seal - that could get messy. Appreciate the tips!
Youíre welcome. Us coffee maniacs need to stick together and share tips. I burnt the crap out of myself from the air burping.

I could prolly start a museum with gadgets Iíve got for brewing coffee.

Subverting the world one coffee cup at a time.

And that Columbia is some seriously good stuff. You try the Rophi yet? Extremely good.

Old 14 April 2018, 09:22
Been There Done That

You two should try the Colombian coffee. I'm not a fan of the Columbia, SC or DC, grown stuff.
Old 14 April 2018, 10:04
Authorized Personnel

Just placed an order for your Colombian and Sumatran cancer beans! Looking forward to them.

On another note, I’m going to have to reread this thread for coffee maker recommendations. Sadly, our coffee maker is on the fritz. Time to upgrade!
Old 14 April 2018, 11:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1961 View Post
You’re welcome. Us coffee maniacs need to stick together and share tips. I burnt the crap out of myself from the air burping.

I could prolly start a museum with gadgets I’ve got for brewing coffee.

Subverting the world one coffee cup at a time.

And that Columbia is some seriously good stuff. You try the Rophi yet? Extremely good.
Yes! I am a fiend for Ethiopian coffee - and this one is fantastic. In fact, I am sipping a cup as I type this . I would love to do a side-by-side tasting of the Rophi and the Danch Meng, but there hasn't been any available for a while.

Last edited by usmc_3m; 14 April 2018 at 11:28. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 16 April 2018, 14:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic4070 View Post
Just placed an order for your Colombian and Sumatran cancer beans! Looking forward to them.

On another note, Iím going to have to reread this thread for coffee maker recommendations. Sadly, our coffee maker is on the fritz. Time to upgrade!
Thanks for the order! If you need coffee brewer advice, I can help. Most brewers don't brew hot enough, the following do:

Cheapest: Bunn Velocity Brewer
https://www.amazon.com/BUNN-Velocity-10-Cup-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B00EAQJCWW

Midrange: Bonavita 1900ts
https://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV1900TS-Carafe-Coffee-Stainless/dp/B00O9FO1HK/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1523904162&sr=1-4&keywords=bonavita+coffee+maker
(I'm not a fan of how the basket sits on the carafe, it's a bunch of BS, but it brews a good cup and is popular)

Expensive (but worth it, hand made in the netherlands, 5 yr warranty, lasts decades, brews excellent, looks sexy):https://www.amazon.com/Technivorm-Moccamaster-79112-Polished-Silver/dp/B002S4DI2S/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1523904317&sr=1-5&keywords=technivorm+coffee+maker

Got a grinder? :D If not, you should. One option only:
https://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Encore-Conical-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B007F183LK/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1523904389&sr=1-2&keywords=encore

Quote:
Yes! I am a fiend for Ethiopian coffee - and this one is fantastic. In fact, I am sipping a cup as I type this . I would love to do a side-by-side tasting of the Rophi and the Danch Meng, but there hasn't been any available for a while.
The Danch was AMAZING. It's more blueberry than the Rophi, but the Rophi is great as well.

The Danch Meng is from 90+ Coffee. 90+ has been increasing pricing lately, and the price has passed the quality. The Rophi is in that ballpark, but not mega $. 90+ has other amazing coffees I'd kill to be able to sell, but they're $10-20lb GREEN. It would be hard to sell at those prices.
Old 16 April 2018, 15:01
Administrator

My coffee maker.

https://www.wholelattelove.com/delonghi-ecam22110sb-magnifica-xs-super-automatic-espresso-machine
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 16 April 2018, 18:51
Confirmed User

Those are really nice. Coffee dorks diss super automatic machines, but it's uncalled for. As long as you put good fresh coffee beans in, they can brew fine coffee, and it's a lot easier than being full on barista on a traditional machine, and you don't need to bother with a handlebar mustache and fixed gear bikes and stuff.
Old 17 April 2018, 06:43
Authorized Personnel

I love my bud JT over at Black Rifle Coffee, but the wife swears by West Coast Roasting's Espresso Torro. Keep up the good work.

Our new posting rules