Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 1 October 2016, 12:30
Swimming Upstream

Turmeric

So aging kind of sucks and I am beginning to look like a walking pharmacy which is a drag at my age. I'm also a sceptic of Big Pharma..what incentive do they have in our wellness? I've developed pain and degenerative changes in my left wrist and "tennis elbow" in my right which is pretty debilitating. Doc gave me a steroid pack which did remove the pain but had bad side affects. So I've been looking into more natural answers and have stumbled across Tumeric. I'm going to see if it helps. Has anyone else struggled with this issue and/or used Tumeric?

Don't Drink and Prime!
Old 1 October 2016, 12:48
Midgetologist

I use Tumeric and it helps me with tennis elbow and wearing compression sleeves while working out. Had to really back off on pull-ups.
Old 1 October 2016, 13:17
Administrator

I use it as well. It seems to really help with inflammation and aches.
Old 7 October 2016, 13:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I use Tumeric and it helps me with tennis elbow and wearing compression sleeves while working out. Had to really back off on pull-ups.
What dosage, and how many pills, do you take a day? Just bought a bottle, 450 mg tablets and says 1 - 3 per day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by leopardprey; 7 October 2016 at 13:44.
Old 7 October 2016, 13:35
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
What dosage, and how many pills, do you take a day? Just bought a bottle, 450 mg tablets and says 1 -3 per day.
I'm interested as well.
Old 7 October 2016, 13:39
Midgetologist

Quote:
What dosage, and how many pills, do you take a day? Just bought a bottle, 450 mg tablets and says 1 -3 per day.
I would start at one give it a week or two.
Then increase as needed I also stretch throughout the day also.
I take one capsule in the morning.

For stretching I find this helps me.

Put your thumb over your pinkie. With arm at full extension push your fingers gently against a wall. For me I feel a good burn and it helps to loosen my elbow. You can do this at a desk etc.

Last edited by GPC; 7 October 2016 at 13:59.
Old 8 October 2016, 07:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
What dosage, and how many pills, do you take a day? Just bought a bottle, 450 mg tablets and says 1 - 3 per day.
The prescribed dose for my wife is 1 - 500mg cap twice a day.
Old 1 October 2016, 13:24
Violent Social Worker

Is there a particular brand you guys recommend? I just turned 40 and getting old is hell.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 1 October 2016, 13:33
Confirmed User

I get organic, ground tumeric root at the local health food store. I put about 1/2 teaspoon in a glass of warm water along with fresh squeezed lemon juice every morning. I have found it also assists with digestion.

The tell for me is when I run out and miss a few days and I wonder why my aches have gotten worse.
Old 1 October 2016, 13:44
Administrator

I'd also suggest using DHA. Not only does it help with inflammation, it can preserve cognitive activity.
Old 1 October 2016, 14:57
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I'd also suggest using DHA. Not only does it help with inflammation, it can preserve cognitive activity.

I made my mind up that Father Time is gonna have to fucking work his ASS OFF to grab me by the short ones! I've been doing my own research and take DHEA daily (75mg) it's not expensive and has been well researched since the 1950's.

I found a guy named Dr. Jeffry Life:
https://www.drlife.com

I bought his book and have read it, I'm not on any of his "plan" stuff but I did take away some good things from it / him. You are correct Purple, there is ZERO money in big pharma or mainstream doctors making sure you don't need them!

Last edited by MilkBoneSkivies; 1 October 2016 at 15:11.
Old 5 October 2016, 13:52
Been There Done That

I've used turmeric for years, I just buy the Vitamin Shop store brand.

I highly recommend that you take bioperine with it. It is an extract of black pepper which increases the bioavailability of herbs and supplements (and possibly drugs, so be careful if you are on scrips). Plain English: it makes the turmeric absorb easier, so you can use less for the same effect - without it I have read that you have to megadose to get the effects.

Typical ratio is 10-20mg bioperine with 900mg turmeric (or more - I typically take two 900mg caps).
Old 5 October 2016, 15:19
Darwin Award Presenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkBoneSkivies View Post
I made my mind up that Father Time is gonna have to fucking work his ASS OFF to grab me by the short ones! I've been doing my own research and take DHEA daily (75mg) it's not expensive and has been well researched since the 1950's.

^ this, and can you guys expand on DHEA? I will try anything to get rid of the stiffness, achiness of daily life. I am an ibuprofen gobbler, but really don't want to end up with a GIB so trying to find alternatives.

It doth suck becoming ancient
Old 6 October 2016, 19:11
Been There Done That

I wouldn't believe it had I not seen it with my own eyes, the stuff works amazing well as a tooth whitener.

Break open a capsule, mix it with coco butter and brush for a couple of minutes. I've used several teeth whitening products most made my gums tender, Tumeric worked better and my gums weren't affected at all.

On a therapeutic note, my wife was on Plaquenil for a connective tissue problem, the doc suggested Tumeric as a alternative treatment. Long story short, she's been able to transition to Tumeric and the latest labs indicated that it's controlling her condition.
Old 1 October 2016, 13:53
Authorized Personnel

Tumeric is a go! I've used it off and on on many occasions over the years.

Daddy came to visit me one time and had these sores about the size of a half dollar on his arms in several places. Looked like MRSA. I wasn't sure what they were and he'd had problems getting rid of them even with Rx stuff. I took a basic calendula ointment for a salve and mixed tumeric in it and then rubbed it into his sores. Cleared them up and no return since.

I bypassed tendinitis and somehow gave myself tendinosis from squeezing kydex. I use this product and this one.

The First, Dr. Christophers uses Comfrey as a major ingredient for healing. The second is my Go-to when I need the pain stopped now. Both have and continue to work for me for tendinosis, acute back pain, etc.
Old 1 October 2016, 14:11
Swimming Upstream

Thank you all, that is encouraging. I have both ground tumeric (which tastes like ass when added to a fruit smoothie) and in capsule form.

Don't Drink and Prime!
Old 8 December 2016, 04:10
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Thank you all, that is encouraging. I have both ground tumeric (which tastes like ass when added to a fruit smoothie) and in capsule form.
Turmeric is good & so is massage, however, sometimes none of it works from time to time. Steroid injections into the joint for me is a downright miracle. The pain goes away within 15 mins and lasts for a month or longer.

Though you can't beat Father Time you CAN detour him a bit.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 6 October 2016, 19:14
The Sagacious One

Tumeric for sure. Also for soft tissue soreness and inflammation, try eating a low glycemic diet. Lactic acid from the sugar - insulin battle causes inflammation of connective tissues as well as muscle cramps.
Old 10 October 2016, 21:37
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Lactic acid from the sugar - insulin battle causes inflammation of connective tissues as well as muscle cramps.
You just described my last 12 mos.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!
Old 7 October 2016, 13:41
Confirmed User

I'm to look into this, thank you for posting

Our new posting rules