Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Closed Thread

Old 10 April 2014, 20:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
You have to remember that SF slots were not normally given to the NG in the 60-80s. There was three phases, a sub course phase and then a 2 week AD phase. Phase one was all of the basics (land nav, survival skills ect...) At one time you could "test out" of phase one by attending a two week course ran by one of thwe AD Groups. Phase two was MOS Skills (all of the AD Phases were at Bragg) Phase three was a 2 week exercise or later on it was attending the first week of isolation/planning for Robin Sage.
I might be misunderstanding you but I know some of the phases were done at Ft McCoy at one time. The instructors from Bragg came up and ran it.
Old 10 April 2014, 21:01
Been There Done That

Floyd
You might be right. I was talking about the 2/19th guys from Rhode Island. Anyting was possible back then.
Old 10 April 2014, 22:04
Been There Done That

In '83 I was on the A-1/7 ODA that went to McCoy and ran a two-week long Phase I-B course. All of the studs had most of the classroom work done, we had to teach some subjects and did all of the "field" testing.
Old 11 April 2014, 22:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
In '83 I was on the A-1/7 ODA that went to McCoy and ran a two-week long Phase I-B course. All of the studs had most of the classroom work done, we had to teach some subjects and did all of the "field" testing.
Was that the one that involved the artillery range and a live fire exercise I heard about?
Old 11 April 2014, 23:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Was that the one that involved the artillery range and a live fire exercise I heard about?
No. However, when I was teaching the poncho raft in the woods line of the DZ someone found an old 4.2(?) rusty shot (dud) round in our midst. Range control came out and the old cogger rares back and kicks the dog-poop out of it then picks it up and carried it to his truck. It turns out that was a WWII impact area and they come across mortar and arty rounds regularly.
Old 12 December 2014, 23:50

I did not want to choke up the threads needlessly with another topic, so I am asking on here. I need further digging as I have exhausted my limited google and investigative knowledge I have available. I have an instructor in some training in the oil field I am have been attending for the past 8 months, who claims SF on teams "full flash" vietnam era, as well as 3 different group assignments. Though I have a pretty decent knowledge of current SF, I am not as well versed in the workings of it before my time in. I have quite a good amount of information, and conflicting almost boastful "facts" from him and would like to confirm/deny properly. If someone could PM me or let me know who I need to PM to share the information it would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 29 September 2015, 20:26

SF Check

I'm very new to this website and hoping not to get a lot of flack for this but...

A few years ago I worked with a guy on cellphone towers who claimed to be a Green Beret. He claimed to know Baghdad better than his hometown and that he's gotten every award for valor aside from the CMoH. He claimed to have 99 confirmed kills and he even went as far as having the number 99 tattooed onto his arm. I was a little younger so I didn't even think to ask what group he'd served in or what class he graduated. But I do have name, his age (32), and his supposed rank (SSG).

Again, I know that I'm likely to receive a boat-load of hate for this, just trying to figure this guy out. Thanks all.
Old 29 September 2015, 20:34
Administrator

This thread should have been locked a long time ago.

It is now. I am leaving it is a sticky because it has good stuff in it.

Mr. MyNameIsTooLongAndImGoingToHateItInThreeMonths:

Start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules