Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 7 October 2016, 13:52
Confirmed User

Veterans Day Speaker

On Veterans Day this gentleman is speaking at our local Kiwanis luncheon.

The guest speaker this year is a decorated Vietnam Veteran, Lt. David Phillips, Sr. (Ret.). He has earned four Bronze Stars (three with "V" device for valor), 4 Air Medals, 2 Army Commendation medals (one with "V" device for valor) and received one Purple Heart for his injuries. Upon his return to the United States, he became a "Green Beret" with the 12th Special Forces Group. Recently, he was inducted into the Army Officer's Candidate "Hall of Fame" which includes such honorees as former Senator Robert Dole and former Secretary of Defense Casper Weinberger. He was also inducted into the "Order of Saint Maurice" which is the National Infantry Association.

Mr. Phillips was a brave and resourceful officer. He carefully led approximately 120 infantrymen into the most perilous and life threatening situations imaginable so well, that of the 58 soldiers wounded in a battle during the 9 months he served as an Infantry Platoon Leader, in the 25th Infantry Division, all but one returned safely to the United States.

After receiving his honorable discharge from the military Mr. Phillips worked for American Telephone & Telegraph (AT&T)as a lead engineer responsible for converting analog wiring to digital fiber optic system.
Old 7 October 2016, 14:06
Confirmed User

Didn't know him, from a brief search it looks like he was with the South Bend teams back in the day, an ex-girlfriend of mine, her uncle was with the South Bend teams back around the same time.
Old 14 October 2016, 10:42
Been There Done That

Sounds like a warrior. I once had the honor of having MSG Roy Benividez speak at an NCO luncheon. I can listen to warriors/heros like those guys talk all day long.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Our new posting rules