Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 30 December 2016, 12:11
Been There Done That

2/75 78-81

Ive been going thru some of my fathers stuff lately..came across some hard copy photos...ill had more as I come across it...Great memories for him and me..it set me on the course of knowing what I wanted to do with my life...I can still smell that boxing gym and see the blood on the canvas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-75 Boxing.jpg (36.7 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg 2-75 S2 shop.jpg (61.7 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg 2-75 Winter MN 1.jpg (15.6 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg 2-75 S2 A.jpg (32.1 KB, 349 views)
Old 30 December 2016, 12:50
Been There Done That

1st picture, far right. Dynamite McClusky Fagata. FT Lewis Post Heavy Weight Champion! Also a member of 1st PLT, B\2\75th!!!
One real Bad Ass!
Old 30 December 2016, 15:43
Dulce et Decorum est...

He was my roommate. RIP Dyna
Old 30 December 2016, 22:04
Been There Done That

Great photos.

Pretty sure I am standing in that Battalion winter formation pic. Think it was at Camp Grayling, MI winter of '78. Might have been Camp Ripley, MN the following year.

Remember that particular photo goat rope well. We marched out onto the snowy camp golf course from the barracks area several blocks away. At the start, the entire 2nd Bn (in formation) was given a "Right Face!" while on 210 cm NATO White Star wooden skis and carrying rucks/weapons. Half the Battalion fell over. Skis, poles, gear, legs all tangled up. Local camp employees observing from across the street split their guts laughing. So we took the skis off and marched in VB boots.

Bn Photographer nestled in a sleeping bag while sitting in the open door of a hovering Huey. That continuously drifted over us in sub-zero temps. Much rotor wash & wind chill fun had by all while they took different shots: "Overwhite Hoods Up!... Hoods Down!... Rucksacks On... Rucksacks Off...Ranger, why aren't your skis tied together with a mandated square knot and two half hitches?... Skis on!... Skis Off!"

We stood out there for what seemed like hours...and froze. A lot of folks in the ranks were wishing out loud that the UH-1 would crash.

I think that's PFC Keith Hanley, B Co. Weapons Platoon, standing two to the left of D. Fagata (birth control glasses & holding a trophy). Saw him in Afghanistan in early 2002. By then a much older CPT Hanley doing some sort of post 9-11 singleton Reserve gig. Operation ANACONDA at 10th Mtn TOC.

Shortly after arriving at our platoon, he took a literal knife stab to the heart from some drunk vagrant down at Seattle Center; he knocked the guy unconscious after being stabbed. KO punch. Nearly died that night, but recovered in hospital and eventually returned to duty with our platoon.

RIP Dynamite.

Wpns/B/2/75, '77-'80.
Old 30 December 2016, 23:42
Been There Done That

That does look like Hanley, and pretty sure that's Elias, middle row second in on the left. That's Powell, RIP, up front in cammies. Chuck and Gus (Lucius) boxed one of those years too but not in that pic. I have a pic somewhere, maybe in the yearbook with Gus sporting a nice shiner.

Last edited by Tonydec; 30 December 2016 at 23:48.
Old 31 December 2016, 12:23
Dulce et Decorum est...

I remember SGT Elias... short guy, hung out with Firestone a lot. didn't he kill himself about 15 years ago?
Old 31 December 2016, 12:31
Been There Done That

Thanks for posting the pics! My timeframe as well, B2/75,3rd wpns.....I did not know Dynamite passed away. He was one tough dude, though I believe SFC Gaotete was by far the meanest. I still have the scars from having to guard him in all our sporting matches against other teams. I did not volunteer for the job, I was volunteered for the job, it sucked! I forgot about Hanley. We had some bad asses back then for sure. I stood back to back with Elias(RIP)
one dark night after the Madigan club was evacuating douchebags to kick our ass!
Old 31 December 2016, 12:36
Been There Done That

Looking at that mass formation in the snow, I almost forgot! Winter of 78. Grayling, MI. George E. Hill the III and I are in our snow pit foxholes on a beautiful afternoon, enjoying the serenity. We had dug a few tunnels around our position, out of boredom more than anything. All of a sudden WAD and SGM Barajas walk up on snowshoes....we shit our pants hoping the roof of our caves did not collapse......we were freaking!
Old 1 January 2017, 01:16
Been There Done That

Pic #2 third from left is SFC Klumper. He smoked like a chimney and still kicked ass on runs.
Old 1 January 2017, 10:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmur275 View Post
Pic #2 third from left is SFC Klumper. He smoked like a chimney and still kicked ass on runs.
It was freaking insane how many smoked back then ( and not just cigs either) and still made the runs. Though the WAD and POWELL 20 milers did weed them out....no pun intended!
Old 4 January 2017, 16:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
It was freaking insane how many smoked back then ( and not just cigs either) and still made the runs. Though the WAD and POWELL 20 milers did weed them out....no pun intended!
They sure did but Klumper stayed tuff. I remember him telling the WAD something to the effect, yes Sir these things might kill me but not today.

Our new posting rules