Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 11 January 2017, 06:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I ordered a five pound bag from Monterrey Bay Spice Co. last night for a bit under $5 bucks a pound, plus shipping. Will keep my fingers crossed that it is not cut with a bunch of yellow looking fake powder!

I've been looking at their site. Were you satisfied with the quality? I am positive I don't know good from bad.

― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Old 11 January 2017, 11:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
so and so reported that gin soaked raisins helped their pain."
I'll try gin soaked anything!
Old 11 January 2017, 12:23
Confirmed User

I'm really not sure why you guys are using tumeric, not curcumin extract, and specifically Theracumin or Longvida (or at a minimum, C3 or BCM-95). Curcumin is VERY poorly absorbed, and the best of the above increase absorbtion 3-2000x. Yes, any tumeric in the diet is better than none, but if you're doing it, DO IT, why fuck around with powders that cost money with little return?
Old 12 January 2017, 19:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by full cooler View Post
I've been looking at their site. Were you satisfied with the quality? I am positive I don't know good from bad.
I have been very happy with the stuff. Of course, this is the first time I have ordered anything but ammo in bulk, so I have no data to base my opinion on. I have been using it in everything, and I certainly could not complain about the price. The info packet I received was very interesting as well!
Old 13 January 2017, 12:02
Confirmed User

Interesting:

https://qz.com/883829/a-large-scient...al-properties/

Quote:
In a new review of chemical evidence, scientists write that curcumin is an “unstable, reactive, non-bioavailable compound and, therefore, a highly improbable lead [for drug development].” The reason for this notorious review is because of its chemical properties that mess with leading methods to search for new drugs.
Most drugs are screened based on their ability to interact with certain proteins. It turns out curcumin’s chemical structure makes it produce “false hits”—that is, even though the compound doesn’t interact with the protein, the results of studies show that it does. Such false hits are then taken to clinical trials, where, after spending huge amounts of money, it eventually fails.
“Curcumin is a cautionary tale,” Michael Walters of the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis told Nature. Cautionary because curcumin falls in a category of compounds, appropriately named PAINS (for pan-assay interference compounds), known to produce such false results.
Inside the body, curcumin breaks down into chemicals which have different properties. Sometimes it is contaminated with other compounds that have their own biological activity, which gets falsely ascribed to curcumin. It even becomes fluorescent when ultraviolet light is shone on it, which fools a common scientific technique used to detect if a chemical is interacting with a specific protein.
“Much effort and funding has been wasted on curcumin research,” Gunda Georg, co-editor-in-chief of the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, which published the review, told Nature. At least 15 studies on curcumin have been retracted from scientific literature, and dozens more have had corrections appended to them.
And, yet, most people working in the field aren’t aware of the mischievous properties that curcumin has. Georg still receives regular submissions on curcumin research.
Old 13 January 2017, 20:44
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
Purple, I have used a massage therapist for tennis elbow (tendinitis). She used deep tissue massage to strip the tension in my forearm and into my elbow. It hurt like hell, and was sore for about a week after. I have not had an issue with it since and that was about 5 years ago.
I'm making an appt to do this. My forearm is killin me. Been using compression and doctor put me on Celebrex (no help) and even lifting a glass hurts. Cant even squeeze a shampoo bottle. This had been getting worse over six months

Don't Drink and Prime!
Old 13 January 2017, 23:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
I'm making an appt to do this. My forearm is killin me. Been using compression and doctor put me on Celebrex (no help) and even lifting a glass hurts. Cant even squeeze a shampoo bottle. This had been getting worse over six months
I've been following this thread as of lately. I'm in the same boat as you with the elbow tendinitis.. I also cringe when I meet someone to shake hands. Hurts like hell.
Just ordered a pound of Organic Turmeric powder(gotta figure out an easy good way to ingest)and started taking the capsules with bioperine. I just got through a completely torn distal bicep tendon last year on the other arm.
Old 14 January 2017, 10:52
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Could have sworn I shared this before.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026HDURA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tendinosis which I have been dealing with is much improved and laid to rest with this stuff.
Old 14 January 2017, 12:37
Ungood

I just wanted to update my experience. Raw and powered forms of Tumeric have helped reduce inflammation for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 14 January 2017, 13:16
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Could have sworn I shared this before.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tendinosis which I have been dealing with is much improved and laid to rest with this stuff.
I've been using it-but not much effect.

Don't Drink and Prime!
Old 14 January 2017, 13:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I've been using it-but not much effect.
Very strange.. . . .
Old 14 January 2017, 14:04
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Very strange.. . . .
I found the reviews on amazon to be either 5 star or 1 star. Some people had no relief

Don't Drink and Prime!
Old 14 January 2017, 16:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
I found the reviews on amazon to be either 5 star or 1 star. Some people had no relief
That's typical of many meds, even prescription.
Old 15 January 2017, 18:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Seems very similar to Blue Emu, which has worked for me and been using as needed over the last couple of years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 15 January 2017, 18:37
The atomic zit

I started with a tsp a day, been doing that for two weeks.

Started adding a 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper a week ago.

Working so far, as in no need for ibuprofen daily.

There are many web searches that suggest turmeric needs black pepper added to to be absorbed properly...

Purple36,

I add that mix to a glass of water before bed. Working for me so far. Tastes like water...

Good luck and good health.

S

Last edited by Stretch; 15 January 2017 at 18:38. Reason: Tastes like water
Old 15 January 2017, 19:07
Been There Done That

I've made turmeric paste before. It will keep in the fridge for a few weeks and can be used to make a quite tasty, savory drink to get your daily dose. The turmeric paste also works well as an additive in cooking. I find in small amounts the flavor is lost in most dishes.

http://deeprootsathome.com/how-to-ma...-golden-paste/

Add it to some warm milk and you've got yourself a very nice savory warm drink on a cold day.
Old 15 January 2017, 20:35
Red Headed Stepchild

My wife and I tried a couple of these at some hippy dippy shop in Monterey a couple of months ago, and have been making them at home lately.

They are pretty smooth

but they grow on you
Old 16 January 2017, 04:49
Very Deplorable

I had taken it regularly for about a month and a half or so. No relief of my back pain. Although, I admit the cause of the pain is from years of awkward lifting of people from awkward places as well as bouncing around in shitty ambulance seats for days upon days... That said, it may be a better suited natural anti-inflammatory for arthritis than for me.

On another pain relief topic- tried the MyPillow also.... didn't help the pain, but I sleep better.

I was really hoping turmeric would be the magic bullet.
Old 16 January 2017, 09:00
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
I had taken it regularly for about a month and a half or so. No relief of my back pain. Although, I admit the cause of the pain is from years of awkward lifting of people from awkward places as well as bouncing around in shitty ambulance seats for days upon days... That said, it may be a better suited natural anti-inflammatory for arthritis than for me.

On another pain relief topic- tried the MyPillow also.... didn't help the pain, but I sleep better.

I was really hoping turmeric would be the magic bullet.
What sort of back pain do you have?

Don't Drink and Prime!
Old 16 January 2017, 14:11
Been There Done That

LOL, I see all the bitter-beer faces associated with the taste of turmeric in the thread, but I'm telling you that there are several recipes out there for "Golden Milk" which are quite lovely and enjoyable. Google and go. If your palette is even slightly more expansive than Hamburger Helper you're going to enjoy it.

Our new posting rules