Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 5 July 2003, 16:02
Making sure They Come Home

Medicine is Serious Business (S)

To All Concerned (edited due to my own insensitivities),

The Special Operations Medical Thread has changed direction and is rapidly becoming an informative and educational assett to SOF and EMS field personnel from SOCNET.
FOR THIS REASON, I would humbly request that within the threads that are obviously designed to assist in teaching, to please omit irrelevant postings
The medical personnel here are attempting to do at least 1 learning case per week. Please respect these learning threads as tools for them to learn something, contribute something, or think of something the next time that one of you say...
"Hey Doc, can you take a look at this for me?"
He just might be able to respond..."oh, yeah...that is a whoopdedo, lemme fix ya up".

Humor is fine, but please keep it relevant and to the subject of the thread.
Your support would be greatly appreciated.

Primum non Nocere

Last edited by ussfpa; 5 July 2003 at 16:56.
Old 5 July 2003, 22:50

If those of us with no acutal creds take the time to research a topic well enough to write a short intelligent peice may we post?

Mike
Old 5 July 2003, 23:30

Quote:
Originally posted by mbw
If those of us with no actual creds take the time to research a topic well enough to write a short intelligent piece may we post?

Mike
I would HIGHLY encourage it. I have, at times, learned the most, by initially knowing nothing at all and then having to research it.
This is more aimed at the filler BS that we all enjoy generating so much :D

Primum non Nocere

Last edited by ussfpa; 15 December 2010 at 22:06.
Old 14 September 2003, 11:46
That Others May Live

Well said USSFPA. I back this 100%. Any of you BTDT's be sure to jerk my chain if you need any help cullin' the teaching thread.

BTW - I added an "(S)" in the title of the thread, so you all know this is a serious thread.
Old 12 February 2005, 14:15
1moreDoc
Visitor

Current Citizen PA Available for Medical Info

Just to let you know: I am a former Navy Corpsman, Vietnam Era though never incountry, with wide experience in trauma, surgery and now General Medical Practice who is willing to share my technical expertice with any and all.

As background, I joined the Navy in the fall of 1974, boot in Orlando, then to Hospital Corps School, graduated May of 1975. First duty station Roosey Roads, P.R. where I worked for the Ortho/Surg clinics as head corpsman, while standing call on SAR/Medevac/Crash Crew. I also was the liaison to SPECWARCARIB, and POIC of the hyperbaric chamber.

Transferred to BUDS in 1977, but was unable to start the program because of an injury that occurred before my class started. Transferred to a VAW Squadron out of NAS Miramar, TAD to the Dispensary while feet dry, working in the E.R. and off-duty as an EMT for San Diego County EMS, and spent the remainder of my service making two cruises...a Med in '77 and a WestPac in '79. My duty station on ship was the Flight Deck BDS, but I also doubled in the Treatment Room/E.R. and O.R. when needed.

Out at the end of '79, returned to Florida and became a Surgical Technologist at U of FLorida. Worked for three years doing Trauma, Ortho and Neuro Surgery while attending Community College on the GI Bill. Matriculated to UF PA School and graduated at the end of 1988.

Began work as a surgical first assistant doing primarily Spine Surgery, but also my share of on-call trauma. After three years, began working at remote-access E.R.'s., being the only Medical Provider attending. Again, many hours of trauma care, emergency obstetrics (I have delivered 15 babies, including my own twin daughters), general sick call.

Moved to a rural community in Texas in my mid 30's, doing Family Practice, but kept my hand in E.R. on-call and 1st assisted in the O.R. doing General and Ortho surg. Finally returned to Florida, where in my 40's and now 50's, have done first E.R., then Family Medicine for the last 10 years or so.

This is but a brief synopsis of my career, but I can assure you that I have extensive knowledge of all things Trauma, Surgery, Obstetrics and Family Medicine.

I offer my services to this group if any have need of it.
Old 15 January 2007, 05:28
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Posting to the medical threads.

G'day All,

I'm a former Aust. Army Medic....no SF experience, but now moving into PST work and looking to learn (as always). I'm sure I will simply use this as a resource, however, do you SF guys mind me participating here if I find myself being able to contribute positively?

I completed my basic and advanced medic courses and worked in various positions (also a radiographer ... taking x-rays) before I finally discharged and although I have no real clinical time since discharge, I've kept my hand in somewhat through working in the adult education field teaching first aid courses as a civvie.

If you guys would rather I lurk, just say so and no offence will be taken. I just saw this thread as the best place to ask permission.

Cheers,

AJ.
Old 15 January 2007, 09:19
Probationary User

Smile

Welcome aboard AJ,

I can't possibly see any of the guys here having any issue with your participation, they tolerate the likes of me after all! :D

I have limited exposure to SF myself but have found this to be a great place to learn and share info without fear of asking to many questions. The advantage of talking to true professionals of course.

I hope you find the forum as useful and interesting as I have and get involved.

Regards

Pocket Medic
Old 15 January 2007, 10:10
Confirmed User

Welcome aboard. We all contribute here. Not SF just a CVICU/Trauma ICU RN.

Blunt force and penetrating trauma are very educational tools-ME :D

There's only 2 ways to change someones mind about you, setting them on fire or slapping the shit out of them-Marcus Luttrell
Old 29 January 2007, 23:37
Grumpy Bastard

G'day. Another Starlight from the land of OZ. Started off as a grunt, then was lured by the Dark Side into Medical Corps. No real SF stuff (unless you count Commandos or Para), just a couple of 'Blue Hat' jobs.

Figure I'll just lurk for a while, see if anyone poses a question I might be able to help with.
Old 16 March 2007, 13:33

Howdy all...

I'm a FF/Paramedic for a (sub) urban community outside of Chicago. Been here for 12+ years, and worked for USN a GS FF for a few years. Compared to our well-to-do brethern around us who handle the "baby cut her finger and I don't want to get blood in the Beemer" calls, we see a lot of "textbook example" calls due to demographics - shootings, stabbings, OD's - IOW, the stuff many of us got into the business for.

I've also been on tap as one of the TRT (SWAT) medics since the City started talking about crosstraining in '96. Although the program had been a no-go since then d/t politics, it looks like we're finally going wheels-up this summer. Looks like it's time to start running again... selection is coming up.

I've been a lurker here for a while, but when I saw this I wanted to into myself.
Old 16 March 2007, 16:01

Greetings Folks-
Nice to have everyone aboard. From here on let's do the introductions within the medical forum not on this sticky, OK?

No apologizing necessary, lets move on from here.

PA
Old 18 April 2008, 09:49

admin edit - This is no longer the place for introductions, and it is not the place for questions.
Please re-post your introduction in the appropriate forum and you can query whoever you like afterwards either by PM or by starting a new thread in the right forum.
PA

Last edited by ussfpa; 18 April 2008 at 10:33.

Our new posting rules