Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Closed Thread

Old 1 November 2012, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
The 101st Airborne is not Special Forces, so you're in the wrong spot. You may well be able to get information about your dad, though, by doing a FOIA (Freedom of Information ACT) request.

http://www.foia.gov/
Thank you.. I will check on that site to see what I can find.. he also said something to me about being a ranger.. this was over 30 years ago..all I can remember is that he had two year book type books and I thought one of them was a ranger book.
Old 14 August 2013, 00:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS275 View Post

You can check my bio and hopefully see I'm not just some douche on here asking about a guy I met in a bar.
Do you pick up guys in bars often?
Old 14 August 2013, 02:18
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
You can check my bio and hopefully see I'm not just some douche
All your profile says is that you went some place a few times and are a FAG. Plenty of dudes who deploy can still be douchie

Just check his beard. If it grows from nothing to something majectic over night he is the real deal

Why don't you just have your friends from SWC or 3rd SFG give you some specific questions to ask him? If no one has heard of him then they should at least know some of the same people.

But to answer your question there is not a data base per say. But there is a member here who can check if he so chooses, however I doubt he will for this, he's pretty busy.
Old 14 August 2013, 14:40
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
As far as my profile...I like to keep it simple, but will keep your comments in mind prior to additional posts referencing my creds.
Yes, as far as your profile .... it is lacking. As long as your are an FNG on this site, and expect to be taken seriously while challenging others creds, you might want to elaborate a little more. A laundry list of your deployments, while probably impressive to your mother, high school buds, and Food Lion bag boy, does not make you remarkable nor a BTDT on here.

That's what you should really keep in mind.
Old 14 August 2013, 19:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Gentlemen, I apologize...I didn't realize 10 years on this site was considered an FNG or I would have updated my profile to appease the masses.

I keep my "profile" info limited for a reason. If anyone wants to know where I've been or what I've done, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to try and convince you that I meet the standards for asking questions in this forum.

Sarcasm and humor were countered with the same.

Well gents I have to go...I'm off to Food Lion with my high school buds to try and impress Tripod's mom.

Ciao,
MS
Bwahahahaaaa!!! Zing! That's what I love about this site...

...oh shit...I've only been here 8 years. I better shut my trap...
Old 14 August 2013, 19:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I keep my "profile" info limited for a reason. If anyone wants to know where I've been or what I've done, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to try and convince you that I meet the standards for asking questions in this forum.
Not interested enough to have you try to convince me of anything. But the gentleman who runs this site has a process called "vetting". Maybe you should have tried it 10 years ago and avoided this discussion all together. You know ... appeasing the masses and all.

Quote:
Well gents I have to go...I'm off to Food Lion with my high school buds to try and impress Tripod's mom.
That might be kind of hard to do considering my mother passed away 2 months ago fucktard.
Old 14 August 2013, 21:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Not interested enough to have you try to convince me of anything. But the gentleman who runs this site has a process called "vetting". Maybe you should have tried it 10 years ago and avoided this discussion all together. You know ... appeasing the masses and all.

That might be kind of hard to do considering my mother passed away 2 months ago fucktard.
Sorry for your loss. If some douchebag had said that to me two months after my mother died, I would have wanted to pull him through the keyboard.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 15 August 2013, 10:03
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2bob View Post
Sorry for your loss. If some douchebag had said that to me two months after my mother died, I would have wanted to pull him through the keyboard.
Appreciate it. Still trying to figure out how a supposed 20 years as a non vetted AF JTAC makes him think he "meets the criteria" to come into the Army SF forum and talk shit.

Respectfully ask a legitimate question? Sure. Not get the answer you want and then be a fuckstick? Nuh-uh. Not going to fly as far as I'm concerned.

But, just to clarify my initial point - The vetting process of becoming a recognized BTDT on this site has a purpose (for all of the services). It, like anything in SOF, has to be earned, and has to be applied for. An individual with 10 years on the site, 54drive by posts over those 10 years, as well as an incomplete profile, should not make the assumption that everyone is going to know who he is, and that they are going to sit back quietly while he comes into a sister service SOF forum and talk shit to any BTDT of that service. It wouldn't fly in the AFSOC forum and it isn't going to fly in here.

Anyone wanting to come in here to "poser bust" would do well to realize it.
Old 8 April 2014, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-one in particular View Post
Hi all,

I'm out of my lane definitely, but I'd like to know if it's possible to check on this individual; the story is an odd one...I work as a paramedic in Ontario, Canada. I had a patient the other day who claimed to have served in Special Forces, completed two tours in Vietnam. The discussion was started due to a tattoo I noticed on his forearm, depicting the crossed arrows and scroll. Above that was a skull wearing a green beret. There was no motto. I know what the real emblem looks like, so I asked him about it. I do have a full name and DOB, as well as the date he left the service, and moved to Canada. I'm just curious because he states that he now plays shows (in a band) at various military legion halls, presumably banking on military credentials. Among other things that made me sceptical were the stories about how "once you feel bullets flying by you, nothing else matters..", etc..and the fact that he was very squeamish about getting an IV. Not that big a deal I guess, but the community I work in has many real vets, and I've developed kind of a "bullshit meter". My sincerest apologies if this guy is for real. Please PM for details of this man.
A clear and quick way to reduce "wannabees" is to ask when and where they went through the Special Forces Qualification Course. That can be checked very quickly by folks at Bragg.
Old 9 April 2014, 12:30
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilrex View Post
A clear and quick way to reduce "wannabees" is to ask when and where they went through the Special Forces Qualification Course. That can be checked very quickly by folks at Bragg.
Huh Has Pineland been moved in the past?
Old 9 April 2014, 19:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Actually yes.
There was a time when a person could complete the Q via correspondence courses in conjunction with 2-3 week active duty stints that weren't always at Bragg. The "paper tab" was for the NG and reserve guys who couldn't take the time off from work to go to Bragg for the full Q course.

I think the program ended around 1991 or so.
Old 9 April 2014, 19:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Good Question!!!!!

Still you need to ask other questions that SF guys would know to get proper info.....
Old 10 April 2014, 00:25
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Actually yes.
There was a time when a person could complete the Q via correspondence courses in conjunction with 2-3 week active duty stints that weren't always at Bragg. The "paper tab" was for the NG and reserve guys who couldn't take the time off from work to go to Bragg for the full Q course.

I think the program ended around 1991 or so.
Paper tabbed guys was before my time, but I think it went a hair longer than that, as there are still a guy or two left in my unit who are suspect of having paper tabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Good Question!!!!!

Still you need to ask other questions that SF guys would know to get proper info.....
Agreed. Wilrex, your answers seem... off.
Old 10 April 2014, 09:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Paper tabbed guys was before my time, but I think it went a hair longer than that, as there are still a guy or two left in my unit who are suspect of having paper tabs.

Agreed. Wilrex, your answers seem... off.
Actually one of my old Team Sgts, good man, in 19th Group had a "Paper Tab". Can't fault him on that. He had been 4 years enlisted in 1/75 in the late 70s, got his Ranger tab. Then got out and joined 11th Group (which later was incorporated into 19th Group NG when they did away with the Reserve Units). Weekend Drills where they had their own kind of SFAS (prior to SFAS days) and OJT on a team. Taking the correspondence courses. Then it was something like two, separate times down to Bragg. Think he did the ole Phase 1 one summer. Then the next year went down and did Robin Sage, IIRC. Was 18B. Then went thru the typical advancements and became a 18Z. Some would razz him and give him shit about being a "paper tabber", but that was just one of the ways some soldiers did it back in the 1970s and 1980s, in the Guard and Reserve units. He retired after his last deployment overseas in 2003.
Old 10 April 2014, 10:31
Been There Done That

You have to remember that SF slots were not normally given to the NG in the 60-80s. There was three phases, a sub course phase and then a 2 week AD phase. Phase one was all of the basics (land nav, survival skills ect...) At one time you could "test out" of phase one by attending a two week course ran by one of thwe AD Groups. Phase two was MOS Skills (all of the AD Phases were at Bragg) Phase three was a 2 week exercise or later on it was attending the first week of isolation/planning for Robin Sage.
Old 10 April 2014, 12:31
Been There Done That

In the 91-92 time frame we were still having guys show up for Robin Sage. IIRC most came on orders of between 14-17 days. There was no rhyme or reason to WHEN they showed up. Some showed up before the iso/planning phase, some showed up right before infil, others showed up in the middle of the exercise.
There was nothing to do but wish them the best of luck, put them on a student team and try to figure out how to deal with their results at the end of the exercise.
You folks donít get it. You think you are free men. LOL. But you are actually the drudge, slave, captive, laborer, serf, servant, worker, chattel, help, menial, peon, retainer, skivvy, thrall, toiler, vassal, workhorse, bondservant, subservient, bond slave, captive, laborer, in a system to ensure the comfort and longevity of the elites. There are only two classes, the elite and everyone else. F*ck you.
Old 10 April 2014, 12:36
Been There Done That

Nope, we're still where we've always been.

Quote:
Pineland hasn't moved. Some areas are used less than others but we're still here.
You folks donít get it. You think you are free men. LOL. But you are actually the drudge, slave, captive, laborer, serf, servant, worker, chattel, help, menial, peon, retainer, skivvy, thrall, toiler, vassal, workhorse, bondservant, subservient, bond slave, captive, laborer, in a system to ensure the comfort and longevity of the elites. There are only two classes, the elite and everyone else. F*ck you.
Old 10 April 2014, 12:51
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACE View Post
Pineland hasn't moved. Some areas are used less than others but we're still here.
That is what I thought
Old 10 April 2014, 13:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
There was nothing to do but wish them the best of luck, put them on a student team and try to figure out how to deal with their results at the end of the exercise.
Sometimes they were Reserve LTCs who suddenly managed to become aware of the "only 55 pounds in rucksacks" reg that was in place on Ft Bragg in the late 80s (after a series of jump injuries). This epiphany only came about after looking at the pile of stuff for the team to infil into Pineland, of course, which left the rest of us to carry it.

That was a peer eval well executed. I hope he's reading this.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 10 April 2014, 13:21
****, Got the T-shirt

Quote:
In the 91-92 time frame we were still having guys show up for Robin Sage. IIRC most came on orders of between 14-17 days. There was no rhyme or reason to WHEN they showed up. Some showed up before the iso/planning phase, some showed up right before infil, others showed up in the middle of the exercise.
We had an O5 from New Mexico join our class, swear he had to be 60 yr. old, did the isolation and night jump insertion, had physical and medical issues, but finished the class. BTW, this was Gobbler Woods, long time ago.

Our new posting rules