Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 13 September 2014, 19:30

@Hot Mess;

My lack of clarity, sorry. That was supposed to be separate statements:

1) I'm training for SFRE.

2) Concurrently and not directly related, I'm also awaiting the SWC stamp for my physical.

I did get specific guidance that SFRE required a SF physical; my research does not indicate that this is true. My research has shown that the SF physical is required for SFAS.

I figured, worst case, SFRE physical-requirement turns out to be wrong -- but then I'm a step ahead for a SFAS shot.

Unless I rope the whole corral of goats, I'll have a 4-year degree in another semester. Good to know it might also help with SFRE. My finances will support a PCS move to Bragg without hardship.

Thanks for bringing up additional things for me to add to my planning cycle -- this thread continues to be quite helpful.
Old 27 December 2014, 17:30

Hello all,

I'm currently in CA ARNG and have decided to try out for SF... I just got the conditional release to go AD but I just found out I might not be able to get an 18X contract because of my PRK vision surgery (no medical waiver allowed for 18X/Airborne). Then I found out about NG SF and after learning more about it, I thought it would be a great place to be.

I have a few questions regarding the NG SF, specifically, A/5/19.

1) How does the pipeline look like from SFRE to SOPC/SFAS to Q? (ex. SFRE to SOPC(?) = 1 month, SOPC to SFAS = 1 month, etc...) I just wanted to know this so I can prepare financially as I have a wife and a baby.

2) I've been training and was wondering when the next SFRE will be for CA... I've been following the A/5/19 website closely but haven't seen the next update yet.. Is it safe to say that the next one will be in March?

I apologize if these have been answered already, I couldn't find the answers anywhere..

I appreciate your help in advance. Thank you.
Old 28 December 2014, 06:00
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankm View Post
Hello all,

I'm currently in CA ARNG and have decided to try out for SF... I just got the conditional release to go AD but I just found out I might not be able to get an 18X contract because of my PRK vision surgery (no medical waiver allowed for 18X/Airborne). Then I found out about NG SF and after learning more about it, I thought it would be a great place to be.

1) How does the pipeline look like from SFRE to SOPC/SFAS to Q? (ex. SFRE to SOPC(?) = 1 month, SOPC to SFAS = 1 month, etc...) I just wanted to know this so I can prepare financially as I have a wife and a baby.

2) I've been training and was wondering when the next SFRE will be for CA... I've been following the A/5/19 website closely but haven't seen the next update yet.. Is it safe to say that the next one will be in March?

I apologize if these have been answered already, I couldn't find the answers anywhere..

First question, what makes you think that if AD won't give you a waiver to go SF that A/5/19 can/will get you one? You still have to get a physical to go to ABN School and SFAS. Maybe you know something I don't or have some sweet mojo.

As for getting to, and finishing the Q, it's different for everyone. It depends on your admin, your availability to attend each, and most likely what the ionosphere is doing that month. I went to SFAS quickly and then it took me a year to get to the Q.

Right now there is a 90 day lead time just to get guys to SFAS. So, in a perfect world, you do the SFRE and are selected. It takes about 2 mos to enlist in the Guard, or in your case transfer, if your current unit will allow it. Then you need to get a physical. Depending on your time available, if the leg doc does draws all the right labs and actually does the physical correctly, and then gets checked off at BN or GRP, that could be 2 mos right there. Plus 90 days from that, so if you're lucky 6 mos for a SFAS class date?

As far as getting to the Q after SFAS I don't have an answer, but last I heard it was 30 days. However, don't go buy that green beret just yet. Do you own a house? Do you have a family? Do you have a real job? The Q is now a PCS move. Can you afford to attend the Q is a question I'd be asking people. I don't know if it is E-5 and below or E-6 and below will stay in the barracks at Bragg. I am not sure if you get BAH for HOR or not, I believe a friend is. That is something that the company admin guys can answer or aj4tj can answer.

IMO right now attending the Q works for younger guys with no attachments, police, and firefighters. Not for guys that have a wife and baby.

As for the next SFRE I have no idea. It depends on the need of the Company really. I belong to the company but have attached somewhere else for a while. My advice would be to continue to watch the website or PM aj4tj, if he is in a good mood he may help you out, if he knows.
Old 28 December 2014, 09:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Hello all,

I'd be astonished to learn that PRK is a disqualifying factor, as they were literally lining everybody up who was nearsighted and giving them PRK at Womack during the language course when I went to the Q. Except the Guard guys. I had to trick-fuck them into giving me my PRK.

It used to be just Lasik was the no-no, but PRK was good to go. And quiet frankly, I'm also surprised to learn they actually still do PRK. It was barbaric a decade ago, why on earth do they still use that procedure?
If 10,000 snakes were coming down that aisle now, and I had a door that I could shut, and in that 10,000, 1,000 meant right, 1,000 rattlesnakes didn't want to bite me, I knew they were good... Should I let all these rattlesnakes come down, or should I just close the door and stay safe?
- Muhammad Ali #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
Old 28 December 2014, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
First question, what makes you think that if AD won't give you a waiver to go SF that A/5/19 can/will get you one? You still have to get a physical to go to ABN School and SFAS. Maybe you know something I don't or have some sweet mojo.

As for getting to, and finishing the Q, it's different for everyone. It depends on your admin, your availability to attend each, and most likely what the ionosphere is doing that month. I went to SFAS quickly and then it took me a year to get to the Q.

Right now there is a 90 day lead time just to get guys to SFAS. So, in a perfect world, you do the SFRE and are selected. It takes about 2 mos to enlist in the Guard, or in your case transfer, if your current unit will allow it. Then you need to get a physical. Depending on your time available, if the leg doc does draws all the right labs and actually does the physical correctly, and then gets checked off at BN or GRP, that could be 2 mos right there. Plus 90 days from that, so if you're lucky 6 mos for a SFAS class date?

As far as getting to the Q after SFAS I don't have an answer, but last I heard it was 30 days. However, don't go buy that green beret just yet. Do you own a house? Do you have a family? Do you have a real job? The Q is now a PCS move. Can you afford to attend the Q is a question I'd be asking people. I don't know if it is E-5 and below or E-6 and below will stay in the barracks at Bragg. I am not sure if you get BAH for HOR or not, I believe a friend is. That is something that the company admin guys can answer or aj4tj can answer.

IMO right now attending the Q works for younger guys with no attachments, police, and firefighters. Not for guys that have a wife and baby.

As for the next SFRE I have no idea. It depends on the need of the Company really. I belong to the company but have attached somewhere else for a while. My advice would be to continue to watch the website or PM aj4tj, if he is in a good mood he may help you out, if he knows.

Thank you for the quick reply.

What I meant to explain was that because I had PRK the surgery, I'll need a medical waiver and you can't get an Airborne physical at MEPS with ANY medical waiver.
Old 28 December 2014, 20:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Thank you for the quick reply.

What I meant to explain was that because I had PRK the surgery, I'll need a medical waiver and you can't get an Airborne physical at MEPS with ANY medical waiver.
So then, young Padawan, the first test would be to see how you can finagle an Airborne physical at a location other than MEPS. These sorts of skills are a large part of what we're looking for in our ranks...
If 10,000 snakes were coming down that aisle now, and I had a door that I could shut, and in that 10,000, 1,000 meant right, 1,000 rattlesnakes didn't want to bite me, I knew they were good... Should I let all these rattlesnakes come down, or should I just close the door and stay safe?
- Muhammad Ali #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
Old 28 December 2014, 22:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
.....quiet frankly, I'm also surprised to learn they actually still do PRK. It was barbaric a decade ago, why on earth do they still use that procedure?
As it was explained to me, prk is surface ablasion vs LASIK which is a flap cut into the eye. In the event of a hard hit or contact with surface of the eye, the "flap" can actually shift. I got the prk after the eye doc told me the difference.
Old 28 December 2014, 23:48

I will.

Thank you.
Old 30 December 2014, 16:08
BTDT

The yearly training calendar says Jan, I sent an email to the SFRE NCOIC for the actual dates and I'll post his answer when he gets back to me.
Old 30 December 2014, 16:37

I appreciate your help. Thank you.
Old 5 February 2015, 14:54

Gents, just checking in here. I look at http://www.calguard.ca.gov/A5-19SF every day to see when the next SFRE date is published, but I just wanted to stop in here and confirm that's still the right place to look.

Is it?
Old 5 February 2015, 15:18
In Vino Veritas

It is, but how often it is updated I cannot comment. Usually there will be a SFRE in the spring. Mar-May time frame.
Old 10 February 2015, 00:26

I'm checking daily as well...
Old 10 February 2015, 12:36
BTDT

The two guys who ran the program have moved on to new assignments. On the YTC schedule, the next SFRE is in June (however, it can change). Once I find out who the new NCOIC, I'll post the latest SFRE dates.
Old 10 February 2015, 17:02

Thank you for the info.

My contract is up in June... Will this be an issue?
Old 11 February 2015, 02:23
In Vino Veritas

No, you can go to the SFRE as a civilian. Just make sure you are not barred from reenlistment.
Old 11 February 2015, 17:06

^Thank you.
Old 28 April 2015, 19:37
BTDT

The next SFRE for A/5-19 will be 11 JULY 2015 at JFTB Los Alamitos.

Detailed information available now on:
http://www.calguard.ca.gov/A5-19SF
Old 6 May 2015, 12:37

Thank you. My Candidate Data Sheet is mailed to the .mil address in the website as ordered.

Looking forward to it.
Old 8 July 2015, 22:03

The event is in three days. I am a confirmed attendee.

My level of preparation is either sufficient, or not.

In any event, thanks to all in this thread who have helped me with information and guidance.

Our new posting rules