Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 25 September 2013, 06:05
Been There Done That

Ranger Sean Pesce wounded 13 times His story

Got this from another website on this amazing Ranger:

This is the story of American Hero, Sean Pesce

September 24, 2013 | In: Awesome, Chive Charities, Chive Humanity, Sponsored 2

http://thechive.com/2013/09/24/this-...sce-16-photos/

The firefight broke out on a Friday in Afghanistan on October 12, 2012. Sean Pesce of the 75th Ranger Regiment had just secured the rooftop of a compound in the treacherous Ghanzi Province. What Sean didn’t know was that, only 30 feet away a dark figure was quietly making his way up the steps of the adjacent building with a fully loaded machine gun.

The terrorists put Sean, 21, and his friend, Sgt. Thomas MacPherson, 26, in his sights and extended the barrel of the gun out the 2nd story window. The initial burst blasted Sean to the ground. Sgt. MacPherson lay beside him, dead of his injuries. Sean quickly composed himself and radio’d the enemy’s position. His unit responded quickly and an ‘extremely heavy firefight’ ensued. Amidst the heavy fire, the Rangers dragged Sean’s body to a corner to provide cover for their injured brother.

At the time, the extent of Sean’s injuries were unclear, nobody knew how many times he had been shot or where. Once the enemy was dispatched, Sean’s body was transported to the medics to assess the injuries. Sean was still fully conscious and aware.

Sean had been shot 13 times. He was losing blood fast and needed 6 units of blood immediately. With precious minutes of life remaining, Sean’s unit and the medics improvised an on-the-spot emergency blood donation. His brothers lined up, needle to needle, arm to arm, and began direct infusions to keep Sean alive.

I’m not sure what kind of grit it takes to get shot 13 times and survive, you’d have to dig through more than a few medical journals to find somebody who has. Can you even find space in a body for 13 bullets? I suppose if you tried it would read something like this:

- Gsw hit to the left forearm, left thigh, stomach, left flank, and right flank.
- Spleen and right kidney destroyed.
- Damage to his left kidney and the severed tail of his pancreas.
- The bottom lobes of left and right lungs collapsed.
- Two broken vertebrae, one bullet penetrating the canal causing severe nerve damage.
- Paralyzed from L5 down. Surgeries included spinal fusion, rodding.

- Number of surgeries – too many to count.

I spoke with Sean about what it’s like to wake up and find out you’re paralyzed from the waist down for the first time. “You can’t imagine anybody being ok with it, I wasn’t. It sucked. But you deal with it the best you can, I had an amazing support system. My parents were there when I woke up. My girlfriend basically quit her job and never left my side. My unit visited me when they returned from deployment. Also, I was alive.”

On October 15th, Sean was awarded the Purple Heart.

A new chapter in Sean’s life was about to begin. The complications from his injuries were so extensive, he would be hospitalized for nearly a year. The surgeries came and went. He had 3 vertebrae fused. One rodding surgery extended from his shoulder all the way to his tailbone, T12 to L3. Mobility for Sean was now a wheelchair.

It’s been nearly a year now and Sean still hasn’t returned home. And that’s where theCHIVE enters his story.

Sean will eventually learn to live life on his own but for the foreseeable future he’ll be moving back in with his parents, Dan and Gail. Their home in West Haven, CT, is not currently suitable to accommodate Sean’s special needs. Sean’s Dad and his brothers, Tyler and Kyle, have been committed to retrofitting the home for Sean.

The family started taking inventory of the needed home modifications. Sean would require a special chairlift to help get him up the stairs. Sean needed a bigger bathroom, all the doors in the house needed to be widened – they’re currently too narrow for sean to pass through.

The carpeted floors became an issue. The carpeting needed to be replaced with hardwood and tile to create a smoother surface for Sean to traverse. Even the light switches in the home had to be lowered.

The costs piled up at a dizzying rate. Low estimates put the renovations at $60,000. The family started a grassroots fundraising campaign receiving a $10,000 gift from the Pentagon Credit Union and $7,000 from a t-shirt fundraiser. Sean’s father even withdrew $16,000 from his own 401k. The family founded a Gofundme Page and sent the link to friends and family. After a month, they had managed to collectively raise a commendable $45,000. But the funds dried up there. The remaining $15,000 was so crucial but nowhere to be found.

Sean’s mother Gail was searching for more help to bridge the financial gap. Help came in the form of an anonymous message on Sean’s Facebook Page. An anonymous Chiver gave Sean’s mother a link to Chive Charities Grantee Submissions Page with a note, “Contact these people. They will help you.”

Gail already knew theCHIVE well, “Sean was always talking about how theCHIVE got him through deployment. She had even purchased a Military KCCO for Sean. “It was so funny, the neck label on the KCCO reads, ‘Probably Bulletproof’. When I gave the shirt to Sean he laughed, ‘Where was this shirt when I was on deployment??”

Gail contacted Chive Charities on her son’s behalf. The phone rang a few days later and the initiative to get Sean the help he needed began. Talking with Sean I’m amazed that he carries himself with such humor. He constantly reminds me how much others have helped him get through the ordeal, how much he loves his family and his girlfriend, Zuleyma. Sean seems steadfastly optimistic.

I called Gail early this morning. She still had no idea how much help theCHIVE Fund was going to deliver. We started talking about Sean again. Through it all, Gail has never left her son’s side, “Sean… he’s a stong kid. He shouldn’t be alive, but here he is. Life is getting better.”

I asked Gail how the renovations were going?

“They’re going ok, John. I spoke with my husband last night and he’s hopeful we can finish the house in a month. If I’m honest the bills are more than we expected, it’s a little overwhelming but we’ll find a way for Sean.”

That’s when I gave her the news that theCHIVE Fund was not donating $15,000 to help finish the renovation. We were donating $30,000 instead, “Oh… oh my… now you’re gonna’ make me cry. Thank you! Thank you!”

Gail handed the phone to Sean and asked if he wanted to say anything to the Chivers. He paused for a moment and just said, ‘Probably bulletproof.’

Here is Sean’s story…

UPDATE: It appears theCHIVERS have discovered Sean’s GoFundMe Page. Wow.

UPDATE #2: The Chivers have absolutely ignited what was once a stagnate GoFundMe page! A simple link I placed as an afterthought suddenly caught fire. In an hour, you had put the $20,000 goal in your rear view mirror and are currently about to eclipse the $30,000 mark in addition to the $30,000 theCHIVE fund already contributed separately to the family. Unbelievable.

UPDATE #3: $40,000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sean-heart-14.jpg (27.4 KB, 691 views)
File Type: jpg sean-heart-15.jpg (28.6 KB, 690 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (3.9 KB, 689 views)
File Type: jpg sean-heart-3.jpg (22.5 KB, 692 views)
File Type: jpg sean-heart-9.jpg (22.3 KB, 693 views)
File Type: jpg sean-heart-11.jpg (28.0 KB, 687 views)
File Type: jpg sean-heart-1.jpg (43.7 KB, 690 views)
File Type: jpg sean-heart-16.jpg (39.1 KB, 691 views)

Last edited by agonyea; 25 September 2013 at 06:08. Reason: credit to website
Old 25 September 2013, 09:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonyea View Post
His brothers lined up, needle to needle, arm to arm, and began direct infusions to keep Sean alive.

THAT.... brought a smile to my face.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 25 September 2013, 10:23
Confirmed User

Off to find the gofundme.com site and donate.
Old 25 September 2013, 10:42
Been There Done That

That's a stud! RLTW!
Old 25 September 2013, 12:02
Poser

Keep Cool and Chive On Ranger!
Old 25 September 2013, 13:49
Authorized Personnel

"Just a Flesh Wound Ranger"
RLTW
HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 26 September 2013, 08:00
In Vino Veritas

Is there anything a Ranger can't do?

RLTW
Old 26 September 2013, 17:41
BTDT

Makes you proud to be a citizen of the nation that produces Warriors like him.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 26 September 2013, 18:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Is there anything a Ranger can't do?

RLTW
Interpretive dance. Always turns into a PLF...
Old 23 December 2016, 10:07
Been There Done That

Update on Ranger Pesce

Ranger Pesce was presented a home last week from Homes for Our Troops. Well deserved and just in time for the holidays. Back to my lane.

RRLTW!

https://www.hfotusa.org/building-homes/veterans/pesce/
Old 23 December 2016, 10:12
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Ranger Pesce was presented a home last week from Homes for Our Troops. Well deserved and just in time for the holidays. Back to my lane.

RRLTW!

https://www.hfotusa.org/building-homes/veterans/pesce/
That brought tears to my eyes.

Terry
Old 23 December 2016, 17:45
Been There Done That

Sean is one tough SOB. We have a small contingent of Northeast Rangers here that check in on him and are making sure he gets squared away. He really is a nice kid.

First met Sean last year at a fundraiser for Massachusetts Wounded Veterans, founded by a GWOT US Marine, Andrew Biggio. (Not posting a link as it may violate site rules. If Admin/Mods think it should be up here then I will post)

Andrew at only 30yrs old, raised enough money with his org to present a brand new Harley to a wounded warrior who hasn't been able to ride for years, now with this modified bike he can ride again.

He also presented Sean with a brand new power chair with tank like tracks on it so he can get around easier. On the backrest he had a Ranger DUI embroidered into it for Sean.

We gave Sean a set of Ranger Brotherhood back patches that were going around a few years ago so he could have them mounted on the back of the chair if he chooses.

Andrew had a bike run last summer that spanned 21 miles long of motorcycles, after which he presented a wounded warriors wife with a brand new car to help get him back and forth for his VA appt's and child care, registered, plates on it and ready to drive home. He then gave a young female Marine (amputee) a check for about 20K to help her get to the US Paralympics, as well as giving Sean and three other warriors large donations that day.

Hats off to these young men and women. It's hard not to be continually humbled by their resilience and strength. We're reminded there is still much hope for this country after seeing these young men and women, with not an ounce of quit in them.

SEMPER FI
RLTW

It is a heavy thing to see a Father, so strong in life, unable to rise.
Old 23 December 2016, 18:29
Been There Done That

Good deal! Thanks for the update.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 23 December 2016, 18:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cams View Post
Sean is one tough SOB. We have a small contingent of Northeast Rangers here that check in on him and are making sure he gets squared away. He really is a nice kid.

First met Sean last year at a fundraiser for Massachusetts Wounded Veterans, founded by a GWOT US Marine, Andrew Biggio. (Not posting a link as it may violate site rules. If Admin/Mods think it should be up here then I will post)

Andrew at only 30yrs old, raised enough money with his org to present a brand new Harley to a wounded warrior who hasn't been able to ride for years, now with this modified bike he can ride again.

He also presented Sean with a brand new power chair with tank like tracks on it so he can get around easier. On the backrest he had a Ranger DUI embroidered into it for Sean.

We gave Sean a set of Ranger Brotherhood back patches that were going around a few years ago so he could have them mounted on the back of the chair if he chooses.

Andrew had a bike run last summer that spanned 21 miles long of motorcycles, after which he presented a wounded warriors wife with a brand new car to help get him back and forth for his VA appt's and child care, registered, plates on it and ready to drive home. He then gave a young female Marine (amputee) a check for about 20K to help her get to the US Paralympics, as well as giving Sean and three other warriors large donations that day.

Hats off to these young men and women. It's hard not to be continually humbled by their resilience and strength. We're reminded there is still much hope for this country after seeing these young men and women, with not an ounce of quit in them.

SEMPER FI
RLTW
My sister is an RN at the VA in West Haven. I'm not sure if he's an outpatient there but I could ask her to check on him if it doesn't violate HIPPA laws.
Old 23 December 2016, 21:16
The Sagacious One

I am humbled, and speechless.
Old 23 December 2016, 21:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
My sister is an RN at the VA in West Haven. I'm not sure if he's an outpatient there but I could ask her to check on him if it doesn't violate HIPPA laws.
Roger that. I'm sure he'd appreciate it, at least having a known person to reach out to there should he ever need it. Thank you brother.

PM sent.

Old 23 December 2016, 21:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I am humbled, and speechless.
As am I.

The debt of gratitude to men like these can never be fully repaid.
Old 23 December 2016, 21:34
Red Headed Stepchild

"Where do we find such men?"
Old 23 December 2016, 22:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
"Where do we find such men?"
To quote an old friend, "I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger. I was a Ranger because of the way I am."

Old 24 December 2016, 00:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cams View Post
Roger that. I'm sure he'd appreciate it, at least having a known person to reach out to there should he ever need it. Thank you brother.

PM sent.
I got it and replied brother. I already laid the ground work with my sister. My parents are also right next door in Fairfield and not having their 4 Marine sons at home, they would love to do anything they could for this Ranger. All you need to do is..................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e3ff08bf8d91a22da06fdcce8401b0c5.jpg (52.9 KB, 199 views)

Our new posting rules