Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > MarSoc

Old 24 August 2016, 20:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
So help me out here then. Is Force Recon still in existence? Same mission, training as before? Or has all of that been replaced by MARSOC, and MARSOC taking on many of the missions (and funding) that Force Recon use to have? Or Force still in existence, still working at Corps. level, and has not been diminished? Competition then between both for eligible recruits?
Force exists again, still works for the USMC. MARSOC works for USSOCOM handling TSOC work, so really not too much real competition between the two, for other than bragging rights. I spent a year deployed with MARSOC, and a year attached with a MEU (hanging mostly with the Force guys). Both are viable elements filled with strong performers.
Old 24 August 2016, 21:30
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
So help me out here then. Is Force Recon still in existence? Same mission, training as before? Or has all of that been replaced by MARSOC, and MARSOC taking on many of the missions (and funding) that Force Recon use to have? Or Force still in existence, still working at Corps. level, and has not been diminished? Competition then between both for eligible recruits?
One of the Corps' historical arguments against providing units for SOCOM was the cost. The Corps viewed having a Marine component to SOCOM as taking Marines away from their statutory missions while providing no benefit to the Corps. The only way MARSOC was "sold" within the Corps was by its proponents claiming that Marines would go to MARSOC for X amount of time, receive amazing training on SOCOM's dime, then return to the FMF to share their knowledge, experience, and training. We all knew it was bullshit; there's no way to maintain the level of expertise SOF units require with "part-time" help.

Force and Bn Reconnaissance provided/provide eyes & ears on the battlefield in advance of the MEF/Div/MAGTF. MARSOC works for SOCOM and supports them. IIRC, there was a MEU that hosted a MARSOC unit, but because the MARSOC guys didn't work for the MEU CO, there was quite a bit of dissension. Force and Bn Recon still exist and are controlled by the Corps. MARSOC resides on Marine bases, but is owned by SOCOM.
Old 24 August 2016, 23:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0699 View Post
IIRC, there was a MEU that hosted a MARSOC unit, but because the MARSOC guys didn't work for the MEU CO, there was quite a bit of dissension.
Understatement of the century right there.
Old 25 August 2016, 23:02
Been There Done That

It looks like something that an admin dude would design. I always liked Alpha 3rd's Jack and I like the CSO's version but then again it's not my community.
Old 29 August 2016, 08:36
Doc McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Starlight View Post
Out of my lane but ... Is that meant to be the Crux?
OS, correct. Crux/Cross/Southern Cross.

On a separate note, we really need to be asking how this badge will look as a tattoo!!
Old 29 August 2016, 10:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarc88 View Post

On a separate note, we really need to be asking how this badge will look as a tattoo!!
About time bro. I've been waiting for you to get back from Spain and chime in. Let's be honest, the original design was gtg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diverses%20ss%20time%20back%20M%C3%BCtzenadler%20004ss.jpg (43.5 KB, 551 views)
Old 29 August 2016, 10:34
Doc McNasty

I read with interest the article on "how it was designed" (which said basically nothing), and can only compare it to what I saw when we did the MCD badge. We did get a couple pages of suggested designs that GYSGT Ed L consolidated and submitted with the other correspondence. Some were outrageously wishful, and some were pretty tame

The prob with this "qualification" badge IMO, is the lack of recognition. What is it, how is it earned, who can earn it, etc - I understand that is likely forthcoming. You just can't look at it, and say what it's about yet.
Old 29 August 2016, 11:07
Administrator

The Corp can do better than this. It looks REMFy.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 29 August 2016, 14:24
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
The Corp can do better than this. It looks REMFy.
X10! There is absolutely nothing cool about that badge...at all!
Old 29 August 2016, 14:27
Been There Done That

It screams, "looks we want to have a SEAL trident looking badge also!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 29 August 2016, 15:21
Calculating Infinity...

Quote:
It screams, "looks we want to have a SEAL trident looking badge also!"
Not seeing how the new badge looks like the NSW Trident, but it is definitely odd
And the CSO designed one looks pretty shit-hot, IMO.
Old 29 August 2016, 15:46
Doc McNasty

I think it's perfectly clear that a stated divergence from Reconnaissance is here. As someone else posted, the usually badge-adverse USMC has adopted this new emblem that doesn't state a qual (like aviation, dive, etc), but rather, a community of practice. The explanation GEN Mundy gave definitely avoided the topic of "what is included in this qualification badge?", rather vague things it represented.

Again, I don't care for the design, but I don't have to wear it, so my opinion means nothing. I know that the guys who do, will guard it jealously.
Old 29 August 2016, 17:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Again, I don't care for the design, but I don't have to wear it, so my opinion means nothing. I know that the guys who do, will guard it jealously.
As it should be.
Old 29 August 2016, 19:29
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:

S88, I was being a smartass (unheard of I know ) as it is an "odd" way to see the Crux depicted for a southerner like myself

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 30 August 2016, 00:57
Doc McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Starlight View Post
S88, I was being a smartass (unheard of I know ) as it is an "odd" way to see the Crux depicted for a southerner like myself

Cheers,
And here I thought you Aussies believed that the "Southern Cross" was what we call the Confederate Battle Flag
Old 30 August 2016, 07:46
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
And here I thought you Aussies believed that the "Southern Cross" was what we call the Confederate Battle Flag
Nice flag that one

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 3 September 2016, 18:43
Confirmed User

Guard jealously, most likely. View with enthusiasm, probably not. I am proud of my Army Combat Diver & Combat Diving Supervisor badges but I still prefer the SCUBA pin I earned in the Navy. I am not one for gaudy bobbles. I do think the badge Gavin posted is pretty righteous looking and probably would have pleased the troops much more. On a side note concerning Force, I always thought it was a shame how the Corps. treated those guys. Force used to one of the best breeding grounds for SOF in that I have met dozens of guys that started their careers there and then switched services to go SF, CCT, SEAL, Navy EOD, etc.

x/S

Last edited by ExSquid; 3 September 2016 at 18:50.
Old 5 September 2016, 20:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSquid View Post
On a side note concerning Force, I always thought it was a shame how the Corps. treated those guys. Force used to one of the best breeding grounds for SOF in that I have met dozens of guys that started their careers there and then switched services to go SF, CCT, SEAL, Navy EOD, etc.
It got a lot better in 1999-2000 time frame when we became a Primary MOS that you could stay in for your career. Guys coming back from 2-3 deployments weren't too keen to be told that they had to go on recruiting or Drill Instructor duty.
Old 5 September 2016, 22:04
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
It got a lot better in 1999-2000 time frame when we became a Primary MOS that you could stay in for your career. Guys coming back from 2-3 deployments weren't too keen to be told that they had to go on recruiting or Drill Instructor duty.
I resemble that remark.

Man, I was ape-shit pissed that I'd have to do another B-billet, probably make SNCO and not see an operational platoon again. Had enough.
Old 5 September 2016, 23:01
Been There Done That

Me too. When we got back from Somalia in 94 there was 30 Sgt's at 1st Force that got hit for Recruiting Duty. Myself and a few others said fuck this and volunteered for Drill Instructor. Lesser of 2 evils. I was lucky to get back there as a SSgt after tour because that was the TL billet.

Our new posting rules