Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 26 August 2016, 19:09
Confirmed User

Very Good Green Beret Story from Vietnam

Story is pretty long. But it shows how awesome and professional our Soldiers are.
https://loadoutroom.com/16478/think-...ret-be-subtle/
Old 26 August 2016, 20:07
Been There Done That

Isn't that a site we don't do around here?
Old 26 August 2016, 20:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I apologize, I am sure the mods will take care of it..
Old 26 August 2016, 23:28

Great idea. I think I got some tools from Harbor Freight that were doctored up by the Chinese to do just that.
Old 27 August 2016, 02:17
Confirmed User

I had heard rumors about an operation like this from a guy who usually told pretty wild stories. Didn't believe him.
Old 2 September 2016, 00:45
Confirmed User

Sounds pretty close to what I have heard from folks who were involved.
I sometimes wonder if the cost justified the practice.

De Opresso Liber
Old 8 September 2016, 20:34
Been There Done That

Operation Eldest Son (also Pole Bean) really was a thing.

It's a fairly obvious act of sabotage, so it's happened all over the place since the invention of fixed ammunition in the 19th Century.

The Russians and Germans did it to each other on the Eastern Front in World War II. A couple of issues of the defunct German magazine Waffen Revue covered that generation of explosive ammunition.
Old 8 September 2016, 21:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I've never even heard of "The Loadout Room". Why don't we do them on here? I can't wait to hear...
If 10,000 snakes were coming down that aisle now, and I had a door that I could shut, and in that 10,000, 1,000 meant right, 1,000 rattlesnakes didn't want to bite me, I knew they were good... Should I let all these rattlesnakes come down, or should I just close the door and stay safe?
- Muhammad Ali #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
Old 8 September 2016, 22:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
I've never even heard of "The Loadout Room". Why don't we do them on here? I can't wait to hear...
They are a feature of another site that does not get along too well with this one.
Old 8 September 2016, 22:51
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Perhaps if for no other reason than their 'gear club' offers "CURATED TACTICAL ORIENTED ITEMS DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR MONTHLY."

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 24 September 2016, 07:21
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
I had heard rumors about an operation like this from a guy who usually told pretty wild stories. Didn't believe him.
Thousand of stories that sound too weird or too wild to be true, were generated through SF's involvement in VN specifically, but also from our involvement in SEA generally.
My guess is that 50% are true, 40% qualify as partially true, primarily because exact details of them, have been over time, forgotten, misstated or otherwise distorted in their re-telling...Which leaves 10% that qualify as pure BS.

I think in a historical perspective, it's important to recognize that the entire VN era was a time of trial and error experimentation for us...Lots of things that were tried, worked well, were documented and used widely. Other things, most of which failed outright, were extremely ill-conceived or weren't practical, just never got written up. Those things were for a while, passed down largely intact as part of the rich oral history of SF in South East Asia. Again and sadly, much of that history has now been forgotten, confused, jumbled and all too often much of what remains is labeled as bull, if only because it doesn't sound plausable in a more modern and conventional way of thinking.

Don't get the wrong idea, I am not pissing and moaning about water over the dam or opportunities lost...What's lost is lost, and that's the fault of me and many of my FOG brethren. I am just, albeit in a long winded way, asking my younger brothers to write your shit down as it happens, even if it's just in an eyes only private journal that never or rarely sees the light of day. Some day it might come in handy and perhaps even be of comfort when most around you believe that you're either full of shit and/or bat crap crazy... Especially if the medico's don't come up with some magic pill that cures the hideous memory problems that sadly can come with old age and are only made worse if you happen to have taken a few too many wacks upside the brain box...
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

— Hunter S. Thompson
Old 24 September 2016, 18:13
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Story is pretty long. But it shows how awesome and professional our Soldiers are.
https://loadoutroom.com/16478/think-...ret-be-subtle/
IDK if the "soldiers" are the ones actually thinking these ideas up.

Just think what the guys with 10lb brains could think up nowa days with GPS, cell towers, etc...
Old 24 September 2016, 19:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Just think what the guys with 10lb brains could think up nowa days with GPS, cell towers, etc...
I think we tried that, and now we have "pizza MREs" to show for it...
Old 24 September 2016, 20:14
In Vino Veritas

What an age we live in, 'zaa MRE's!? Reminds me again why I got out?
Old 25 September 2016, 00:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Reminds me again why I got out?
Cuz they cancelled "pants-optional Fridays?"
Old 27 September 2016, 11:35
Been There Done That

[QUOTE=flashbang;1058596273]Thousand of stories that sound too weird or too wild to be true, were generated through SF's involvement in VN specifically, but also from our involvement in SEA generally.

A friend of mine is a former MACV SOG SF Soldier. He wrote a book that tells a few stories like the above. His name is Lynne Black. And his book is not widely published, in fact the only copies I've seen are at a local restaurant that he is friends with the owner. One story he tells is about the time he went to the demo range ( alone) just to try out a charge he had been working on for a mission. And it was a " you use enough dynamite there Butch" He basically blew himself up and his jeep and woke up the next morning with a few scratches and a headache He talks about when his recon team was surrounded in a field of elephant grass and the enemy set fire to the field and they had to climb up a cliff to escape.

Anyway, when he and I first met he said he didn't understand why we ( young SF guys) are still interested in what they did back then. I said " Are you kidding me! you guys wrote the book on combat operations in SE Asia" the B-52 manual was required reading backward and forewords when you got on your ODA." I added a link below:

http://modernforces.com/veteran_story_lynne_black.htm
Old 27 September 2016, 18:35
Been There Done That

[QUOTE=Stallion;1058597188]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
the B-52 manual was required reading backward and forewords when you got on your ODA."
Yup, that and a team SOP. I still have a copy of the B-52 manual.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 27 September 2016, 19:16
Been There Done That

Hec, I was still making references and using the B-52 manual just less than two years ago for training/teaching points, patrolling along the old Ho Chi Minh trail and border areas of Cambodia and Laos. Even had some of it translated into Khmer for my guys. Much good info there. Lessons learned from predecessors in the area, still being used today. Thank you.

BTW, both Lynn Black's book and the "B-52" manual are available on Amazon.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 1 October 2016, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Hec, I was still making references and using the B-52 manual just less than two years ago for training/teaching points, patrolling along the old Ho Chi Minh trail and border areas of Cambodia and Laos. Even had some of it translated into Khmer for my guys. Much good info there. Lessons learned from predecessors in the area, still being used today. Thank you.

BTW, both Lynn Black's book and the "B-52" manual are available on Amazon.com
Thanks for the head's up, just bought those two books and some others. This site is great for finding good books to read.
Old 15 October 2016, 03:25
Confirmed User

[QUOTE=Stallion;1058597188]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
Thousand of stories that sound too weird or too wild to be true, were generated through SF's involvement in VN specifically, but also from our involvement in SEA generally.

A friend of mine is a former MACV SOG SF Soldier. He wrote a book that tells a few stories like the above. His name is Lynne Black. And his book is not widely published, in fact the only copies I've seen are at a local restaurant that he is friends with the owner. One story he tells is about the time he went to the demo range ( alone) just to try out a charge he had been working on for a mission. And it was a " you use enough dynamite there Butch" He basically blew himself up and his jeep and woke up the next morning with a few scratches and a headache He talks about when his recon team was surrounded in a field of elephant grass and the enemy set fire to the field and they had to climb up a cliff to escape.

Anyway, when he and I first met he said he didn't understand why we ( young SF guys) are still interested in what they did back then. I said " Are you kidding me! you guys wrote the book on combat operations in SE Asia" the B-52 manual was required reading backward and forewords when you got on your ODA." I added a link below:

http://modernforces.com/veteran_story_lynne_black.htm
If you have Amazon prime the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot book is on their included with prime deal for free for the Kindle app, I downloaded it yesterday.

Our new posting rules