Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 1 October 2016, 11:03
BTDT

A record of 0-13 is slightly worse than the average. Don't get down on yourself. When doing CPR you are working on a dead guy. That's what we call a handicap.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 1 October 2016, 19:46
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Like you know.
LOL...I'm that guy who looks at someone doing stupid shit and says "Don't get hurt, no one here knows first aid". Then I laugh and laugh when they get hurt!

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 1 October 2016, 19:51
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
While doing CPR I have a dismal record.... currently I'm 0-13 with zero saves. The last rookie I trained did however resuscitate a 16 year old who OD'd using heroin. That said... last training cert through the Red Cross was 30:2 compressions/rescue breaths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmb1tqYqyII
At least you have a go.

I have always considered CPR to be akin to that last wild toss of the coin trying to salvage money for milk and bread after blowing millions in the Two-up ring. It's a tool and it works, but .....

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 2 October 2016, 13:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickT View Post
A record of 0-13 is slightly worse than the average. Don't get down on yourself. When doing CPR you are working on a dead guy. That's what we call a handicap.
Yeah, with CPR its understood; you start behind the curve (way behind).
Old 2 October 2016, 21:25
Confirmed User

My baby sister had to perform CPR on her husband. he had a Thrombosis, so he was dead anyways, unbeknownst to anyone.
He was a lumberjack, didnt drink, or smoke etc etc. His twin is the druggy, alcoholic etc etc. At 43, he died while she continued CPR till EMS showed up. i never asked her what 911 was telling her to do over the speaker phone, but I know she was trying and wasn't thinking it was a lost cause.
It is training that many learn, but doing it is another thing.
Old 2 October 2016, 22:22

My FD had a guy drop in front of his teenage son this spring. He called 911, and did the dispatcher coached CPR with continuous compressions. He gave us something to work with, and we were able to successfully get him back. He walked out of the hospital 2 weeks later. The funny thing was he was scheduled to take a CPR class in 2 days. We never asked if he was able to test out of it. Incredible performance under the conditions. It was only my third successful save in 17 years. All of them had cpr started within seconds of them dropping, 2 were bystander provided.
Old 3 October 2016, 11:55
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18Wub View Post
It was only my third successful save in 17 years.
3 > 0

It's worth the effort to have 3 people still enjoying time with their families today that otherwise wouldn't be.

BTW, that is a 17.65% survival rate for your patients, which is 5+% above the national average (% survival to hospital discharge).

I know I'm always on here defending AHA/CPR etc, but it really is important to note that lives do get saved, however few. It is the exact same overall underlying principal of TCCC, we do what we can with what we have to reduce morbidity and mortality.

2016 Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest
Incidence: More than 350,000
Bystander CPR (overall): 46.1%
Survivor rate* (overall): 12%

Last edited by O_Pos; 3 October 2016 at 12:01.
Old 4 October 2016, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
3 > 0

It's worth the effort to have 3 people still enjoying time with their families today that otherwise wouldn't be.

BTW, that is a 17.65% survival rate for your patients, which is 5+% above the national average (% survival to hospital discharge).

I know I'm always on here defending AHA/CPR etc, but it really is important to note that lives do get saved, however few. It is the exact same overall underlying principal of TCCC, we do what we can with what we have to reduce morbidity and mortality.

The survival rate increases dramatically with bystander CPR and the "pit crew" CPR model. We went from about 7% survival rate with VFIB arrests to 34% with "pit crew" CPR.

There are several studies that note increased Return of Spontaneous Circulation (ROSC) and survival with bystander CPR.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26197186
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26197185
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25644852
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24785780
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24084923

Thanks.

Wook
Old 4 October 2016, 14:28
Confirmed User

0-2 here, the 2nd one even had 3 hits from an AED.
Even with the odds not in your favor, if you can ya gotta try
Old 5 October 2016, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
3 > 0

Absolutely agree. Our area is fortunate in that my EMS system is very aggressive about changing protocols as data and research dictates, both with protocols and devices. Couple that with several nursing homes in our area, we get a lot of practice at doing this, and when we get one with a legitimate chance, good things often happen. It is funny how the "old" techniques are frowned upon but still work. The first save I had happened to arrest right in front of us, we weren't expecting it as he was presenting with stroke like symptoms, then went out. Precordial thump while the pads were being yanked out, converted right away. I've also used it a couple of times in a severe flash pulmonary edema where the patient had sustained runs of V-Tach with success.
Old 17 October 2016, 01:16
Been There Done That

1 for 1. My now 11 y/o grandson. Was 26 months then. Wandered off to a farm pond. He was a corpse when I found him. Thank God I had some training. Hope I never have to do that again to anyone.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 17 October 2016, 07:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
1 for 1. My now 11 y/o grandson. Was 26 months then. Wandered off to a farm pond. He was a corpse when I found him. Thank God I had some training. Hope I never have to do that again to anyone.
Thats awesome. Congrats....
Old 17 October 2016, 09:27
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
That will age you 10 years right there.

Good that you were there.
Old 17 October 2016, 10:18
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
That will age you 10 years right there.

Good that you were there.
Thats a BIG no shitter!

And Cool-head/hand to boot!
Old 17 October 2016, 10:39
Confirmed User

[QUOTE=abnrgr1sg;1058602287]1 for 1. My now 11 y/o grandson. Was 26 months then. Wandered off to a farm pond. He was a corpse when I found him. Thank God I had some training. Hope I never have to do that again to anyone.[/QUO

Great job man...working on little ones (especially blood) is something I have not done...I wish to keep it that way. I'm glad you had that fantastic outcome.
Old 17 October 2016, 11:02
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Awesome example right there of why everyone should have some level of training!!!

As for me, I've done CPR on a few dead guys who unfortunately stayed dead.
Old 18 October 2016, 03:07
Been There Done That

I was a mess for a while afterwards . I didn't work for 5 days following the incident. I've had kinda knack to be at the scene of car accidents. 4 fatal ones. Dead at the a scene. I've always carried a pretty extensive mediacal kit in my autos since.

Old 18 October 2016, 03:58
Violent Social Worker

That's an awesome win. I'm 0-1 but I knew he was dead and gone the second I saw him. I did it for the witnesses, one of whom quite helpfully said the cops didn't care if the kid lived or died... Of all conditions to resuscitate someone from, a living heroin overdose is probably pretty good odds.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 18 October 2016, 13:27
Anesthetized User

Sadly, I am 0-Infinity. Even people who have coded right in front of me. Nice compressions, BVM. I have had them intubated, lines started and first round of drugs within 2 minutes. No CPR saves.

Support SOCNET.
Old 18 October 2016, 13:39
Been There Done That

Well. Any lifesaving attempt is heroic to me, successful or not. You can't blame the circumstances leading to the lifesaving attempt & the situation your facing.

My grandson was in the water at least 4 minutes. Not breathing, faint pulse, blue lips & eyes, all color lost. Solid white. It took me a minute & a half to get vitals I definitely had help from the Ranger in the Sky.

Last edited by 1RiserSlip; 18 October 2016 at 13:40. Reason: typo

Our new posting rules