Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > MarSoc

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18 October 2016, 16:08
DuckmanUSMC DuckmanUSMC is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Coronado Ca./New London Ct.
Posts: 114
MARSOC new weapon of choice.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/6f8c142...-19s-over.html

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18 October 2016, 16:46
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Back where it all began
Posts: 6,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckmanUSMC View Post
Thoughts?
MARSOC got tired of requesting their G19s thru the JOS Warehouse, and decided to actually have them on hand all the time.
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18 October 2016, 16:56
DuckmanUSMC DuckmanUSMC is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Coronado Ca./New London Ct.
Posts: 114
Icon5 .45 Vs. 9mm.

Don't you think it's a pretty big departure from the .45 to a 9mm? I see the advantages to a larger mag. capacity but close range the .45 seems more effective to me. Just my opinion though.

Also "The Marine Corps just completed an exhaustive search for a new MARSOC pistol" I found this statement to be a bit humorous that given an "exhaustive search" they ended up with the 19. That must be a bidding thing.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18 October 2016, 16:58
DuckmanUSMC DuckmanUSMC is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Coronado Ca./New London Ct.
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
MARSOC got tired of requesting their G19s thru the JOS Warehouse, and decided to actually have them on hand all the time.
I own a G36 and love it btw. :)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18 October 2016, 17:04
Frog's Avatar
Frog Frog is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,541
Going to 9mm reduces the requirement to carry multiple rounds in your load out. That's why NSW went to SIGs back in the 80's. Still love the 1911 though.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18 October 2016, 17:09
DuckmanUSMC DuckmanUSMC is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Coronado Ca./New London Ct.
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
Going to 9mm reduces the requirement to carry multiple rounds in your load out. That's why NSW went to SIGs back in the 80's. Still love the 1911 though.
Ahh I see, good point. Don't you guys carry H&K .45 as well?

Agree fully on the 1911, the toughest iron ever! 92F not so much...

Thanks for the insight gents. Im really loving these boards!

Semper Fi
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18 October 2016, 17:57
WGH0922 WGH0922 is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,553
Just spoke to a guy in the G19 decision making. Yes, the .45 1911 is a shit stopper but the Glock makes sense as well.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18 October 2016, 18:12
DuckmanUSMC DuckmanUSMC is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Coronado Ca./New London Ct.
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Yes, the .45 1911 is a shit stopper.
Haha indeed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18 October 2016, 19:42
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Back where it all began
Posts: 6,085
The Colt MARSOC went with prior to the G19 did not suit their needs, and they were always using JOS loaner G19s. In addition, that particular Colt is prone to slide fractures due to the (really lousy) placement of the forward cocking serrations.

MARSOC, NSW, AFSOC, and ground combat elements in USASOC now issue the G19.

Everyone has their opinions, but remember, ALL handgun calibers are pretty anemic, and the difference between 9mm and 45 ACP is negligible. I would rather have a Glock carrying twice the ammo at half the weight.
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18 October 2016, 19:46
Hot Mess's Avatar
Hot Mess Hot Mess is offline
In Vino Veritas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where you vacation
Posts: 10,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckmanUSMC View Post
Ahh I see, good point. Don't you guys carry H&K .45 as well?

Agree fully on the 1911, the toughest iron ever! 92F not so much...

Thanks for the insight gents. Im really loving these boards!

Semper Fi
IDK if "tough" has anything to do with a weapon that runs best well oiled, which attracts a lot of dust/dirt in our current operating environment, and thus causes malfunctions.

As the SMU's go everyone else follows...
__________________
Come on boys, you got to do it right, pray to the moon in the middle of the night
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18 October 2016, 19:47
Gsniper Gsniper is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,963
In 2050 when we're equipped with laser guns and grenade sized nukes we're still going to be saying we should have stayed with the 1911.

I have one, I love it. I carry a G17. The end.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 18 October 2016, 20:17
8654maine 8654maine is offline
Another pool cleaner
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,284
Plasma rifle in 40 watt range?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 18 October 2016, 20:17
Gsniper Gsniper is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,963
Only what you see on the shelf buddy.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 18 October 2016, 20:34
WGH0922 WGH0922 is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,553
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
The Colt MARSOC went with prior to the G19 did not suit their needs, and they were always using JOS loaner G19s. In addition, that particular Colt is prone to slide fractures due to the (really lousy) placement of the forward cocking serrations.

MARSOC, NSW, AFSOC, and ground combat elements in USASOC now issue the G19.

Everyone has their opinions, but remember, ALL handgun calibers are pretty anemic, and the difference between 9mm and 45 ACP is negligible. I would rather have a Glock carrying twice the ammo at half the weight.
What Gavin said.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 18 October 2016, 20:41
DuckmanUSMC DuckmanUSMC is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Coronado Ca./New London Ct.
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
IDK if "tough" has anything to do with a weapon that runs best well oiled, which attracts a lot of dust/dirt in our current operating environment, and thus causes malfunctions.

As the SMU's go everyone else follows...
Ill wager that a 1911 would fare better than a G17 when run over by a Bradley...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 18 October 2016, 20:42
Sharky's Avatar
Sharky Sharky is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: SOCNET
Posts: 18,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
IDK if "tough" has anything to do with a weapon that runs best well oiled, which attracts a lot of dust/dirt in our current operating environment, and thus causes malfunctions.

As the SMU's go everyone else follows...
If you shake a 1911 and it rattles and clacks, probably pretty reliable but not very accurate. If you shake it and hear nothing, probably a lot more accurate and a lot less reliable...LOL

Still love my 1911s. I carry a Glock.
__________________
I was born my papa's son
When I hit the ground I was on the run
I had one glad hand and the other behind
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 18 October 2016, 20:46
DuckmanUSMC DuckmanUSMC is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Coronado Ca./New London Ct.
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
If you shake a 1911 and it rattles and clacks, probably pretty reliable but not very accurate. If you shake it and hear nothing, probably a lot more accurate and a lot less reliable...LOL

Still love my 1911s. I carry a Glock.
LOL well said.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 18 October 2016, 20:58
Silverbullet's Avatar
Silverbullet Silverbullet is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bunker
Posts: 14,564
In most cases it's the secondary weapon. Plenty of people have been killed by a 9mm. .45 isn't magical.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 18 October 2016, 21:42
Sharky's Avatar
Sharky Sharky is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: SOCNET
Posts: 18,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
In most cases it's the secondary weapon. Plenty of people have been killed by a 9mm. .45 isn't magical.
And IIRC, more killed by .22LR than either of them.
__________________
I was born my papa's son
When I hit the ground I was on the run
I had one glad hand and the other behind
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 18 October 2016, 22:31
DuckmanUSMC DuckmanUSMC is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Coronado Ca./New London Ct.
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
In most cases it's the secondary weapon. Plenty of people have been killed by a 9mm. .45 isn't magical.
I guess it might be personal preference but I prefer .45 for close quarters along with a BM4 Shotgun (at home). for me reduced recoil of the 9mm can add to accuracy but I feel sacrifices stopping power especially with frangible rounds.

Everyone's opinions will differ on the subject. The reason I posted the initial question was to encourage conversation. Apparently it did so GTG.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 16:00.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET