Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Explosive Ordnance Disposal

Old 8 May 2008, 13:39
On the Extract Bird

If they added him to the wall I have no problem adding him to ours. I realize the circumstances around his passing but he was on deployment in Iraq keeping fit for the job.
Old 8 May 2008, 13:41
On the Extract Bird

bmbsqd- Just read your post about the Brit and I would like to honor our allies from all countries (there have many foreign EOD techs killed in OIF/OEF) but I have so little visablity on all the names I feel it would be a disservice to only honor a few. If you want to start a new thread I'll sticky it at the top.
Old 9 May 2008, 07:53
EOD Mod

I know there was some debate about him going on the wall. BMF, you started this list, so you make the call.
Old 28 January 2009, 02:47

RIP Woodal and Callahan, I miss you guys. RIP to all the other techs, you all are my true heros.
Old 17 June 2009, 10:41
Confirmed User

add Trip to the list

Don't forget Trip --

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP S.D. BUTLER, OKINAWA, Japan - Staff Sgt. John H. Roy III, 32, of Muscogee, GA. died in an explosion at Demolition Range 3 in the Central Training Area March 24 at 11:15 a.m.

We haven't been an USMC EOD family long, but I carry the names of the men who have died since we joined on my heart
Old 17 June 2009, 16:25
EOD Mod

MandMmom, Not to disrespect a fallen Tech, but this thread was created to honor those that have made the ultiamte sacrifice in OEF/OIF. While tragic, SSGT Roy's deathe was due to an accident on a peacetime range.
Old 18 June 2009, 14:36
Confirmed User

I stand corrected. Didn't read the criteria for the list closely enough . . .
Old 18 June 2009, 16:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
He died of a heart attack while PT'ing. While unfortunate, this was not a job related death.
The Memorial web site is under new management these days, but I think that the old site said that deaths in training or when on deployment were legit.

For that matter, please check out my post,"EOD Memorial Placement Criteria Guidelines." It has a contact email for Jim O'Neil.

Last edited by jw; 18 June 2009 at 17:30.
Old 18 June 2009, 17:32
EOD Mod

Jim, that I believe is the crieria for the memorial. This thread was started for OEF/OIF.
Old 18 June 2009, 18:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
Jim, that I believe is the crieria for the memorial. This thread was started for OEF/OIF.
Agreed, but so long as someone dies while serving downrange (OEF/OIF, for the purposes of this thread) and meets the criteria for the Memorial, then (IMO), they should be honored here.

I just went back and looked at my posts about the Memorial Criteria Committie, and the deadline passed on 15 June 09 because it would have been nice to have have had the opportunity to speak my mind about LOD determinations about such things as non-mission related training deaths (e.g. PT), vehicle accidents, et al.
Old 19 June 2009, 05:40
EOD Mod

We, of course, honor every Tech that has died. Anyone is free and encouraged to start a tread keeping the community informed about fallen/imjured Techs. However this thread was started by BMF three years ago due to OEF/OIF, and we have been keeping it up since. It has no affiliation with the Memorial. I seem to be a little more strict with the interpretation, so if there is a disagreement, BMF has final athority.
Old 19 June 2009, 06:14
Authorized Personnel

I see a difference between the thread and the 'list'. This list is for a certain time frame and place.

We honor all our fallen brothers, regardless of when or where they made the ultimate sacrifice.

MandMmom, SSG John H. Roy III, is no less a hero because his name is not posted to the above list. All of us thank you for keeping him in your heart.
Old 22 June 2009, 11:07
Confirmed User

Thanks! My stepson has tremendous respect for Trip and wished he could have served with him longer. Got the "Father's Day call" yesterday, and Gallo (injured when Trip died) is back in Oki, and headed for Balboa. Heard he is doing well, and will continue rehabbing the arm there. "Tough family" he says, with great respect. He is still single and I asked if any of the EOD wives over there have sisters . . . seems like it would take a special kind of woman to live that close to the edge everyday. Maybe that kind of toughness runs in families
Old 8 September 2010, 00:15
On the Extract Bird

RIP Capt. Jason T. McMahon

A bit dated. Sorry I missed it.

http://businessclarksville.com/2010/...n-afghanistan/
Old 7 August 2011, 12:02

Heard about the two techs that went down in yesterday's helo crash...RIP Brothers.
Old 7 August 2011, 14:35
Authorized Personnel

That is a lot of names. Very sad to see.

RIP. Thank you all for your service.
Old 10 May 2013, 15:26

RIP to all. Unfortanely a couple of those were in our AO in Iraq. Doing Pathfinder missions.

Our new posting rules