Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Navy SEALs

Old 1 August 2008, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchanu View Post
??????

Perhaps you should cut and paste something as nothing you just posted seems to apply to the conversation.
Not true at all. If you read through the website that I posted, you will see that this action falls in line with the joint USN/USMC/USCG “Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower”.

Specifically,
Quote:
"United States Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard will act across the full range of military operations to secure the United States from direct attack; secure strategic access and retain global freedom of action; strengthen existing and emerging alliances and partnerships and establish favorable security conditions.
Old 1 August 2008, 20:16
Overseas Gunplumber

I agree. If they pass the training and start working alongside NSW personnel and they get a taste of the real military they will defect as fast as possible. However, knowing the CG they will make the member sign some type of agreement to prevent it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEARED HOT View Post
IMO some Coastie comes to BUD/S, SQT, etc, etc and makes it and is attached to the Teams for 5 to 7 years........? Good luck getting him to go back to the CG.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 1 August 2008, 20:17
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1E0D8ET View Post
Not true at all. If you read through the website that I posted, you will see that this action falls in line with the joint USN/USMC/USCG “Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower”.

Specifically,

Sigh.

Were in the site you posted did it specify that the USCG was either going to BUD/S to be SEALs, or that the USCG had a need to perform SOF missions?

USN/USMC/USCG is a pretty wide net.
Old 1 August 2008, 20:18
JDAM
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1E0D8ET View Post
"United States Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard will act across the full range of military operations to secure the United States from direct attack; secure strategic access and retain global freedom of action; strengthen existing and emerging alliances and partnerships and establish favorable security conditions.
So every joe schmoe who wants to be a SEAL can sign up for training, regardless of branch, simply because we need to expand the "range" of our military operations as a whole? That makes NO SENSE.
Old 1 August 2008, 20:20
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
I agree. If they pass the training and start working alongside NSW personnel and they get a taste of the real military they will defect as fast as possible. However, knowing the CG they will make the member sign some type of agreement to prevent it.

NSW is a carrer choice.

It's not a stepping stone to further you other ambitions.

There is far too much to become profiecent in and way too short of time on a far too limited budget to have some sort of "adjunct" program featuring personnel who aren't going to stick around and continue to support NSW.

This ain't passing the sniff test.
Old 1 August 2008, 20:30
JDAM
Visitor

Quote:
There is far too much to become proficient in and way too short of time on a far too limited budget to have some sort of "adjunct" program featuring personnel who aren't going to stick around and continue to support NSW.
Agreed. If this goes through as stated...personnel should be required to sign contract extensions (minimum - 5 years on a Team (NOT INCLUDING TRAINING TIME) IMO)...guaranteeing NSWC a substantial return on investment.

Just my .02
Old 1 August 2008, 20:33
Overseas Gunplumber

Matchanu,

I meant that they would defect from the CG and stay with NSW. OTOH, I doubt that there will be a whole lot of volunteers stepping forward for this either.

Quote:
NSW is a carrer choice.

It's not a stepping stone to further you other ambitions.

There is far too much to become profiecent in and way too short of time on a far too limited budget to have some sort of "adjunct" program featuring personnel who aren't going to stick around and continue to support NSW.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 1 August 2008, 20:36
Administrator

Marines aren't going to BUDS. They have enough options within the Corps and a couple of SMU's they can serve with.

It wouldn't make sense to do this, either for the Navy or the Corps.

Show me the USMC authority that signed off on that.
Old 1 August 2008, 20:38
Creepy ass cracka

NSWC is not even close to being short on volunteers for BUD/S.

If coasties want to be a frogman, they can join the Navy, just like everyone else.

I'm not buying this "official memo" at all, in fact, it's begining to stink.

SOmeone post a seperate source on this, I can't find any.
Old 1 August 2008, 21:10
We know who you are

I don't see how this benefits either the Navy or the Coast Guard.
Old 1 August 2008, 21:22
GreenWarrior
Visitor

I am awaiting a more official reply from NSW on the reason for this. I can't see any reason why this would make sense. It is exploitation of our community. Bullshit. We don't need Coasties in the program. No offense to the Coasties, but it is the US NAVY SEALs. CG has no need training for SEAL operations.
Old 1 August 2008, 21:23
GreenWarrior
Visitor

Quote:
I'm not buying this "official memo" at all, in fact, it's begining to stink.

SOmeone post a seperate source on this, I can't find any.
X2. I put in a request for more info to NSW and will let you know what I find out but I don't expect to hear until Monday. Does not make sense at all.
Old 1 August 2008, 21:34
Been There Done That

The positive i see in it is in the South America Imlet teams. As the drug stuff is (or at least was) a law enforcement issue thus we could not be involved. So I could see the need for land warfare capabilities to find and destroy the processing staions. We were pissed we had to stay with the host nation guys on their barge while the Coasties went on night ops.

me 26FEB20133538PST
Old 1 August 2008, 21:39
Arrrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEARED HOT View Post
IMO some Coastie comes to BUD/S, SQT, etc, etc and makes it and is attached to the Teams for 5 to 7 years........? Good luck getting him to go back to the CG.
My thoughts exactly! If a Coastie goes through the whole program and does 5-7 years in the Teams does he get a re-enlistment bonus at the SO levels?
Old 1 August 2008, 21:42
The Copenhagen Kid

Quote:

Agreed, this thread is retardo. This is all scuttlebutt until there's some legitimate message that comes out through the NSW channels.

Go get your motherfuckin' shine box.
Old 1 August 2008, 21:51
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Tibbs View Post
The positive i see in it is in the South America Imlet teams. As the drug stuff is (or at least was) a law enforcement issue thus we could not be involved. So I could see the need for land warfare capabilities to find and destroy the processing staions. We were pissed we had to stay with the host nation guys on their barge while the Coasties went on night ops.

Do you see anything we do even remotely geared tword LEO operations?

If coasties adopted our TTP's for LEO missions, I suspect there would be a lot of coasties in jail and many federal inquries.
Old 1 August 2008, 22:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Do you see anything we do even remotely geared tword LEO operations?

If coasties adopted our TTP's for LEO missions, I suspect there would be a lot of coasties in jail and many federal inquries.

I definitely agree. From my experience with coasties that would be the only compatible use for our training. Other than that VBSS is about it, and perhaps hull search and diving techniques. They do patrol the South America waterways on drug interdiction missions which I am sure have a very relaxed ROE. Who is going to arrest you in Columbia for fucking up some FARC ass wads?:D

Whole story sounds like a pipe dream in actuality.

Virgil Out

me 26FEB20133538PST
Old 1 August 2008, 22:14
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Tibbs View Post
I definitely agree. From my experience with coasties that would be the only compatible use for our training. Other than that VBSS is about it, and perhaps hull search and diving techniques. They do patrol the South America waterways on drug interdiction missions which I am sure have a very relaxed ROE. Who is going to arrest you in Columbia for fucking up some FARC ass wads?:D

Whole story sounds like a pipe dream in actuality.

Virgil Out

For that, I can see some cross training with the SWCC guys.
Old 1 August 2008, 22:20
GreenWarrior
Visitor

UNCLAS Info

I got a little more "unofficial" info from an "anonymous" (yet reliable) source. This whole thing is an effort to help the Coast Guard more than anything. Apparently the USCG wants to develop a Special Operations capable unit of their own. Being that they are attached to the Department of Homeland Security (not DoD), they do not have the option to attach a USCG unit to SOCOM, nor does SOCOM have a need for them. They (USCG) had 2 options:

1.) Hiring an outside civilian PMC company with Special Operations vets to help develop a program to train and implement a USCG Special Operations force.

2.) Develop a program, with assistance and coop with the US Navy to enable Coasties to "temporarily" leave USCG service to go to BUD/S and successful candidates to serve in the Navy as Navy SEALs for a period of 5 - 7 years getting operational experience and Special Operations skills which they could then utilize when going back to the USCG to assist in the development of a USCG Special Operations unit.

With the USCG mission, they want to put a focus on Counter-Terrorism/Anti-Terrorism operational capabilities. Granted the SEAL mission is a lot more than that, but it gives Coasties an enhanced operational capacity and while the future USCG Special Operations group (should it all work out) will not be utilized in the same capacity as SEALs (nor be attached to SOCOM), they will have guys with the background and experience to help develop and tweak the program as necessary to fit the needs of the USCG.

Additionally, with the memorandum of understanding, the NSW will approve all requests from USCG applicants to attend BUD/S. As you can imagine, they will need stellar scores and records to get accepted. They will essentially be Coasties "on loan" to the US Navy for their tenure in NSW - on a Coast Guard tour. So after that tour is up they do not have the option to "extend" or stay with the Navy. I guess essentially they could leave the CG and then enlist in the Navy, but apparently the CG does not foresee that problem. There may be instruments in place to prevent that but I do not know.

The Navy's benefit in all of this is "to help bolster NSW numbers." Bullshit. Something else must be in play here - draw your own conclusions on that one.

Personally, I do not see this panning out very well. As Match said above, you go into NSW as a career option. You only become a SEAL if you really WANT nothing more than to be a SEAL. Doing it (or trying to do it) with future career goals in mind will not cut it. So expect this program to be short-lived with not a lot of publicity surrounding it.

That's what I got for now. If I do get anything more official I'll pass it along but it seems to be nothing more than a pilot program that we all know will not pan out in the long run anyway. One of those things you just have to let them do it to learn.
Old 1 August 2008, 22:33
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWarrior View Post
Apparently the USCG wants to develop a Special Operations capable unit of their own.

With the USCG mission, they want to put a focus on Counter-Terrorism/Anti-Terrorism operational capabilities.
This is what really irks me.

What in the fuck for? Are the teams so overwhelmed with missions that we need the assistance?

Are counter-terror missions dropping out of the sky to the point we have to ask another branch for help?

Give me a fucking break!

Team guys go their entire carrers and never get to play.

This is utter bullshit on so many levals.

Our new posting rules