SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 27 January 2012, 15:58
My ERB's on SOCNET

Probably a good counterpoint on the pullups...

But when I see SF CPTs/NCOs fail to do even the number of pullups for jump school... maybe now you know where I am coming from.

Total package fellas, total package...
Old 27 January 2012, 16:20
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2k View Post
But when I see SF CPTs/NCOs fail to do even the number of pullups for jump school... maybe now you know where I am coming from.

Total package fellas, total package...

Pullups are good...especially when it comes to HAHO's on a MFF team.....Those long ass HAHO's with toggles unstowed sure suck especially with body armor and assault packs. I can't wait for those toggle exentsions to get approved!!!!
Old 2 February 2012, 00:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharles View Post
Also for blistering - please feel free (anyone) to comment on this, I hear it is advisable to wear a layer of nylon socks on your feet to help with friction.
My two cents...

Some guys have hobbit feet and don't need to worry too much about this. If, you are like me, you get blisters and lose toenails if you even think about rucking. If that's you, take a look at "Fixing Your Feet" by Vonhof.

I destroyed my feet in selection because I didn't know how to take care of them. I've not had issues since applying the techniques in this book (there are many and you have to tailor them to your needs).

Most of all, no matter what happens, don't quit! Good luck.
Old 2 February 2012, 01:17
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

In a former life I taught with a bunch of SF dudes.

One of the guys who showed up to my committee was a fairly FAT fuck -- not giant obese like you see in the demotivational posters, but yeah, I mean -- he was carrying a REALLY big bowling ball where his gut should have been. Maybe it was a beach ball. It isn't an exaggeration to state he was a FATass. But not the FAT guy that can PT your ass into the ground -- rather the FAT guy who wheezes during any sort of PT activities.

Anyway, one day he goes on and on about how his unit (C Co, 3/7) was flying to war in Panama (this is prior to the invasion). They got waved off, but he was detailing all of the neato guns he was dragging with him (3 long-guns, one of which was a M21). And his gear, and ammo, etc. And they were going to fast rope onto the Obj.

I looked straight at him, in front of his buddies, and called him on the lie. Why a lie? Because his FATass would have never been able to carry all of that shit off the bird and hold onto the rope with his horrible physical conditioning. And it was pretty horrible.

The other end of the spectrum, but just as out of shape, was one of the guys from the R&S team. This guy looked like he had never done a pull-up in his life. I have my doubts as to having done pushups, either. He was thin, but had arms that had no muscle tone to them at all. And yeah, he had the bowling ball as well, although not as pronounced.

About half the SF guys on my committee were in horrible shape. Disgusting.

But they would rant on about how they could ruck forever. It was always the "out." "I can't run like you, but I can ruck forever." "I can't do as many pushups or pull-ups as you, but I can ruck forever."

Strangely, they never donned a ruck and went out with me.

The other half of my committee (SF dudes) were cut from some sort of granite mountain. Run, ruck, fight, lift, PT -- they didn't care -- they did it all and did it well. Those were the guys you just knew that when you had to fight them, it was stupid not to shoot them -- their answer to pain was Cepacol and Tylenol. Oh, and more PT, so you forget that you were hurting to begin with -- kill the pain with pain.

My point is that if you want to really be capable of doing the job, in all climes and places, then you need to be in great shape. If you can't knock out a 300 PFT, or damned close to it -- all the time -- then IMO you need to give the job to a younger man. That probably reads suspiciously like some sort of GSG9 ad, but it isn't meant to be. I just think that us older fucks need to work harder to do the things that younger guys can do, and do it just as well. That includes being able to run or ruck or climb or fight or carry stuff. Being good at only one of those things is a formula to getting yourself and your teammates hurt (or worse).

I've found that strangely a number of people get into SOF, and they were in pretty good shape at that moment. And then they realize that once you're in -- you're treated like an adult and people expect you to keep yourself in top physical conditioning, without having to do silly stuff like unit PT. But there are a lot of guys who don't. They drop into the flightsuit or UDT shorts or surf-and-turf mode, and ride their memories. And will tell you how they can fastrope with a M21, M4, and MP5 -- and how they have mad photog skills (not so necessary any longer, but some of you guys remember what I am referring to). LOL....
Old 2 February 2012, 01:42
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
But not the FAT guy that can PT your ass into the ground --
Great visual. It puts me in mind of the chubby Chaplain here who is an EMT. He's one of those guys who get under-estimated all the time.
Old 2 February 2012, 02:00
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
3. Never say "I quit".
A strong mind will carry a weak body farther than a strong body will carry a weak mind.
Two really good pieces of advice. I have never done SFAS or Pre-Phase but I'm really good friends with folks who have.

When Char did pre-phase the guy in charge put everybody in front leaning rest and said they were staying there until two people quit. You don't have to be the best. You only have to be better than the two who quit. You just keep on being better than the ones who quit.

There is no quitting. It's like being pregnant and in labor - you don't get to quit. You can't pass it on to somebody else. It's you and you have to do it. There's nothing else for it.

Bottom line - think of stories you get to tell later. You don't finish and the best you can do is give excuses on why you failed.
Old 2 February 2012, 02:05
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
. Not everyone is a 145lb crack addict who can run 5 minute miles and pull his body up a million times because it weighs next to nothing. .

I was totally unaware that you knew my youngest brother. You got something you want to tell me??
Old 2 February 2012, 16:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
But not the FAT guy that can PT your ass into the ground --
I hate that motherfucker. I'll still never understand how that's possible to be in that good of shape with a tub around your stomach.
Old 2 February 2012, 16:40
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1/75 View Post
I'll still never understand how that's possible to be in that good of shape with a tub around your stomach.
Genetics. Like those guys that are 6'2" 240lbs of muscle and run 6:30's
Old 3 February 2012, 00:52
היה אישם עשה משהו

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharles View Post
Also for blistering - please feel free (anyone) to comment on this, I hear it is advisable to wear a layer of nylon socks on your feet to help with friction.
IF you are going to try that, do NOT use straight nylon (ie vapor barrier liner). That'll make things a lot worse in most cases. That's only good in my experience with sub-freezing temps when you want to stop heat loss that goes with perspiration.

Go to any mountaineering/backpacking store like REI and ask for 'wicking' or 'liner' socks. They'll be thin, nylon-like polypro or similar socks designed to wick the perspiration away from your feet to your outer wool sock. Not expensive.

I have used them backpacking, mountaineering, backcountry skiing, and on long combat patrols. Mountains, desert, you name it. Personally I like them and use them all year round for my recreational activities; and in my jump boots when working in the winter in cold aircraft. But my personal all-time favorite sock was the plain grey wool socks the IDF issued us at induction, and that I used to be able to buy. Lots of folks do just fine with just a good single sock.

Learn some foot care and see what works for you. I took care of a lot of soldier' feet. We all lost toenails and got the occasional blister, but good foot care goes a long way. Nothing fancy. Right at the beginning they taught us 'if your feet are happy, the rest of you can be happy. And if your feet are unhappy, you're not going anywhere.' I got threatened with a field trial because in the beginning I didn't do good foot hygiene. (They forced us to wash our feet nightly when the water was available.) Not always possible, but learn it now and take care of those dogs when you can. Just doing your pack walks will toughen your feet up pretty quick.
Old 4 February 2012, 06:44
My ERB's on SOCNET

Quote:
I've found that strangely a number of people get into SOF, and they were in pretty good shape at that moment. And then they realize that once you're in -- you're treated like an adult and people expect you to keep yourself in top physical conditioning, without having to do silly stuff like unit PT. But there are a lot of guys who don't. They drop into the flightsuit or UDT shorts or surf-and-turf mode, and ride their memories. And will tell you how they can fastrope with a M21, M4, and MP5 -- and how they have mad photog skills (not so necessary any longer, but some of you guys remember what I am referring to). LOL....
Yup... These are the guys who are "good team guys," ie, buy the first rounds, tell good jokes, but always fall behind on runs and will potentially embarrass the team and the command. Here's a hint for the youngsters: good team guys and good soldiers aren't always the same people. Implied task: realize the GWOT is basically over for all intents and purposes, and the days of finding your shit stacked in the hall way when you fail to meet standards is returning.
Old 4 February 2012, 09:49
In Vino Veritas

Thumbs up

Quote:
mplied task: realize the GWOT is basically over for all intents and purposes, and the days of finding your shit stacked in the hall way when you fail to meet standards is returning.
Not such a bad thing. Lets you know where you're at
Old 4 February 2012, 13:25
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCFLACO View Post
Heart, sense of humor and determination are invaluable assets......at SFAS too. :)
Black dog gives excellent advice, above, on the long term prep plan. Another of my favorite Green Berets that I read about on the Internet has a simple piece of guidance while you are at SFAS:

Do not come in late, light or last.

Flaco's advise, above, is also sage.

I recommend you FNG's (Hell, and you FOG's) read this thread

After reviewing this, you can see why SEALs need to do 45 pull ups and maintain explosive dynamic conditioning and why USSF must be able display a great deal of long term emotional and physical endurance. You can learn a lot from reading the Internet.
Old 4 February 2012, 13:38
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Yup... These are the guys who are "good team guys," ie, buy the first rounds, tell good jokes, but always fall behind on runs and will potentially embarrass the team and the command. Here's a hint for the youngsters: good team guys and good soldiers aren't always the same people. Implied task: realize the GWOT is basically over for all intents and purposes, and the days of finding your shit stacked in the hall way when you fail to meet standards is returning.
From what I have read n the Internet, this happened about 30 years ago in post VN Special Forces. The whole deal, SF babies, post war draw downs, guys making the same claims "You won't leave then in the field. I have read about how many of these guys were left in the field and went on to "bigger and better things"?

It really matters not what you look like, as long as you can do the deed, to the standard, at a moments notice.
Old 5 February 2012, 07:14
My ERB's on SOCNET

Maybe I got it all wrong.

I dunno. Maybe we WON'T remember that there are standards to adhere to on a team. Or maybe we do but the tools we shitcan STILL end up as staff fags & command elements that ruin our lives because they should have never been here in the first place. But as long as I do my part to protect and train my team to standard, I sleep well at night. And wake up every morning to grind my skull on the stone of bureaucracy.
So there's no confusion, none of this is targeted against one group of people, ie, X-rays or otherwise... except shitbags. It is definitely against shitbags. Lord knows there are plenty of them, wearing any uniform and/or accoutrement you care to cite. I am sure someone out there thinks I am one of them as well.
Just remember, any day you enter a team room, you better be able to prove yourself. Rank/status/position is immaterial.
Old 9 February 2012, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic09 View Post
my personal all-time favorite sock was the plain grey wool socks the IDF issued us at induction, and that I used to be able to buy. Lots of folks do just fine with just a good single sock.
Things change regularly at SFAS but the packing list I had when I went last fall prohibited nylong socks period. I'd get used to just using a quality single wool sock. I did the entire course in Army Issue green ones and my feet weren't terribly torn up. Just take care of them, moleskin and foot powder all the way.
Old 9 February 2012, 15:09
In Vino Veritas

18D with Mandarin! Congrats on being a smart guy....have fun at Bragg for 3 years

Are they back to 24 days?
Old 9 February 2012, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
18D with Mandarin! Congrats on being a smart guy....have fun at Bragg for 3 years

Are they back to 24 days?
I know right? Getting selected has forced me to actually have a 5 year plan because the training is taking so long. SFAS was 19 days last fall, but it seems like they change it pretty regularly so who even knows?

Our new posting rules