SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Closed Thread

Old 21 August 2011, 12:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFoltz View Post
Is that the SF DUI he's wearing with the 82d HQ Flash?
That is definitely an 82d HQ Flash. My last assignment was with Command Group, 82d Abn Division and I just checked on my beret. However if assigned to HHC the DUI should be the "AA" pin (for enslisted). An officer should wear grade insignia, correct? (asking because not sure it is the same for former officers wearing uniforms in a parade setting).

It does look like the "DE OPPRESO LIBER" DUI.

From AR 670-1
Quote:
c. Headgear insignia. (See para 28–3 for placement of headgear insignia and beret flashes.)
(1) Beret. Officers and warrant officers wear non-subdued grade insignia centered on the beret flash, and chaplains wear their branch insignia. Enlisted personnel wear their distinctive unit insignia (DUI) centered on the beret flash.
Old 21 August 2011, 13:05
#AllLionsMatter

Exclamation The "maroon" beret w/DUI....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
It does look like the "DE OPPRESO LIBER" DUI.
Proves the point all along that he was "assigned" to a SF unit, NOT a SF officer.....

Stay safe.
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 21 August 2011, 13:13
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
The more the merrier.

I hope that ps.com tears him a new asshole.

I must say that there is no question in my mind that Oh knew exactly what he was doing when he claimed to be a "Green Beret." He just never thought that anybody would glance at the facts and then call him on them. Apparently, he has been able to get by, parsing the facts, selling his "Reserve ODA story." Well, an enterprising journalist did some homework for a change and nailed him.

And here we are.

There are two new posts on Oh's Facebook page. In one, he adopts a more conciliatory tone, and commits to fix all misconceptions in his statement.

In another, he has the audacity to tell us that he is "done with us unless we want to throw him a fund raiser." I told him that he would be done with us when we told him.

I am not letting this guy off the hook.

If you have not posted on his Facebook page, or better, on the Facebook page of the Philadelphia Daily News, please go now and say your piece. It matters.

Thanks.

One of their guys just posted on the Clout blog that follows this kind of stuff in Philly.

I registered, but have yet to receive appropriate vetting.

Ladies and Gentlemen, please allow my brief intrusion into your forum. I am an active duty member of the Army Special Forces. I have been in the Army now 28 years. I am fully qualified and trained, deployed in Iraq. My colleagues and I have been following the lies of Mr. Oh since late April / early May of this year. It took us until just a few days ago to come into receipt of his Official Military Records through the Freedom of Information Act. Once received, we then acted, confronting Mr. Oh on his embellishments. You can see some of these conversations on his Facebook Page, and follow his backtracking of his previous statements. There are MANY instances in print where Mr. Oh CLAIMS to have served as a "Special Forces Officer" when in fact he was not. He was a Reserve Infantry Officer, filling a slot in a Reserve / Guard Special Forces Unit. While IN THAT SLOT, he was CODED (for manpower purposes) as an 18A, or Special Forces Officer, he then attempted the Special Forces Selection and Assessment Course, and WAS NOT SELECTED to continue training. It was determined that he was not suitable to become a Special Forces Officer. This meant that until his enlistment obligation was over, he still had to show up for "duty" with his Unit - which happened to be a Special Forces Unit. A Unit that contained cooks, supply folks, truck drivers, and administrative people. At the time EVERYONE IN THE UNIT wore the green hat. That did not make everyone in the unit a Green Beret. Nor did it make them a "Special Forces Cook, Supply Guy, Truck Driver, Administrative person, OR Special Forces OFFICER. It simply identified them as a member of the unit. I will not go into WHY it was this way during that time frame, but you can be assured that it looked like we had a VERY robust Green Beret Force.
This was so until 1993 when it (thankfully) changed back to only Special Forces trained personnel wore the Green Beret. Mr. Oh's fundraising activities quote him as "A former Special Forces Officer" which he was not. A quote on his davidoh.org states "He has served this Nation as a Green Beret" which he hasn't. He states he never claimed to be a Special Forces Officer, which is also false as he clearly stated his MOS (Job Description) that he provided to the reporter was changed from 11A (Infantry Officer) to 18A (Special Forces Officer).
I do not live in Philly, I haven't read the Daily News story. I didn't have to since, as I said previously, we noticed Mr. Oh's embellishments back in April, and began our own investigation in May. OUR concern, the Special Forces Community's concern, is that people like Mr. Oh (and MANY others we run across) are FALSELY claiming service in an organization whose members fight, and bleed, and die in little armpits of the world, far from their families, and bear sacrifices that few others can even fathom. They use these lies to further their own agenda, the THIEVE the HONOR of those they wish to emulate - and they become representative of OUR Special Forces Community under false pretense.
We do not care if he is a Democrat, Republican, Tea Party, or Independent. You fine folks know he is a liar, someone who "kinda tells the truth most of the time" and still want to vote for him - by all means. Have at it.
However, WE will NOT allow these lies to go unexposed. What you choose to do with the information - well, that is what WE are over here fighting for right? Your FREEDOM to choose.

Good luck Philly, Mr. Oh is significantly less than genuine.
Old 21 August 2011, 13:48
Overseas Gunplumber

I went to his Facebook page and there are alot if Kool-Aid drinkers defending him claiming that the system is out to get him. I have left a comment on the Phill Daily News page as well.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 21 August 2011, 14:12
Been There Done That

I think we need to all crush his Facebook page with as many degrading comments as technologically possible. At some point he'll have to delete his own page, and then his charlatan defenders will have no forum.
19 Oct 2017
Old 21 August 2011, 14:16
Been There Done That

#1 seems that giving just a little bit of info and letting peoples imaginations run wild is biting Mr. O in the ass

#2 as a National Guard SF guy this shit pisses me off. See a while back I got sent to 3rd group for a few years. I worked very hard to overcome the very real stigma that many active team guys have about guard guys (the more senior they were the worse it seems it was). Most of the stigma is unearned, but some of it is not.

when a shitbag guard SF guy rolls in sure he gets the blame for being a 'tard, but so does the rest of guard SF, the rest of us work for long time unfucking our reputation.

When fucktards like this embellish and it blows up, another round in the chamber against Guard SF, we do enough pissing off people on our own, we sure as hell dont need NQ's doing it.

and just because he was a NQ in a NG SF element.... the entire NG SF community is gonna get egg on it's face...("see those damn NG SF shitheads can't even police their support staff")

so I say weapons free and let em fly.... where is the link to his FB page?
Old 21 August 2011, 14:27
Been There Done That

I cannot believe that the FOP endorsed this guy, I wonder how hard it would be to get them to pull their endorsement?
Old 21 August 2011, 15:14
Whatever Sucks the Most

Ok.

Here are more links.

1. Comments on Philly.com : tons of defenders there. Go crucify him. Hit him where he lives.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Oh...All=y#comments

2. Here is that bulletin board mentioned above. There are a couple of good posts there already. Go post more, please.

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/fo...tml#post412055

3. Here is the Philadelphia Daily News Facebook page. They are keeping the Oh debacle right at the top. Keep piling on:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Phila...ws/98847028182

4. Here is David Oh's page: He is still alibi'ing. He needs to be crucified.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/David-Oh/129058423834067

Thanks for helping.

In case it is not clear.....you can post multiple times.

Last edited by magician; 21 August 2011 at 15:30.
Old 21 August 2011, 15:41

Magician approved:

It appears the David Oh has a campaign ad out with a picture of him wearing a green beret. It's a small picture, but it also looks like a full flash. I'm not an SF guy, so I will turn the image over to you guys and let you do your thing. Keep up the good work on busting all of these frauds.

Link:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...3834067&type=1

Dan
Old 21 August 2011, 15:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-O View Post
Magician approved:

It appears the David Oh has a campaign ad out with a picture of him wearing a green beret. It's a small picture, but it also looks like a full flash. I'm not an SF guy, so I will turn the image over to you guys and let you do your thing. Keep up the good work on busting all of these frauds.

Link:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...3834067&type=1

Dan
PAY ATTENTION TO MY NEXT STATEMENT

BEFORE THIS PHOTO GETS OUT OF HAND...
EVERYONE in GP during his time frame wore the Green Beret with full flash. The distinguishing item was the SF Tab.

If folks start getting on him on other forums regarding a full flash - you will be made out to be incorrect.

Now, that DOESN'T mean that he isn't attempting to PORTRAY HIMSELF to an unknowing public that he is fully qual'ed. Important to make that distinction.

You have been warned.
Old 21 August 2011, 15:55
Whatever Sucks the Most

My bad.

I authorized the post.

And I also just posted in a bunch of places that Oh was violating the Stolen Valor Act by walking around in that Beret. He was wearing it in civilian clothes.

My feeling is....if Oh was never qualified, by what right is he wearing a beret with the full flash of the 20th Group while in civilian clothes?
Old 21 August 2011, 15:57
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
My bad.

I authorized the post.

And I also just posted in a bunch of places that Oh was violating the Stolen Valor Act by walking around in that Beret. He was wearing it in civilian clothes.

My feeling is....if Oh was never qualified, by what right is he wearing a beret with the full flash of the 20th Group while in civilian clothes?
Steve...you are correct WRT the Beret my Brother.
But the full flash vs the candy stripe is a non-issue.

I fully believe he is actively making an attempt to MISLEAD the public WRT his service. Hence his desecration of our headgear.

I'm in your corner.

"SF Guy"
Old 21 August 2011, 16:00
Whatever Sucks the Most

That is what is pissing me off, too.

He is attempting to mislead people.

He has stirred up a hornet's nest. Nothing would give me greater satisfaction than to derail this ass-hat's election. His morality is clearly questionable. We have too many politicians like this already.
Old 21 August 2011, 16:08
Been There Done That

He was never branched SF. As such, he has zero authority to be pictured with a green beret on his coconut.

Even though he may have been authorized wear of the beret as an NQP, it's like wearing a unit award that a soldier was not present for. It goes away when the soldier leaves the unit.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 21 August 2011, 16:11
Drawing my cutlass

That would be 20th SFG in Glen Arm, MD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Walk View Post

At the time, he was wearing a Special Forces combat patch and came from a Special Forces unit in the Maryland
...if Poser Oh was there he will remember one terrain feature in particular leading to the building. Someone will inevitable know someone from the unit who remembers this d-bag.
Old 21 August 2011, 16:11
Whatever Sucks the Most

And there it is.
Old 21 August 2011, 16:19
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
"SF Guy"

Is that you?

Doc, good point with the flash, I was going to make the same statement, only probably without the great big red letters.

Thanks.
Old 21 August 2011, 16:57
Been There Done That

Yup-

That's me...
Old 21 August 2011, 16:58
Been There Done That

I found a copy of AR 670-1 dated sept 1992

http://coldweatherclothing.info/ref/...1992-09-01.pdf

Section 3-17 clearly states that the beret is organizational headgear.

That means Mr. Oh loses the right to lay claim to the beret under the current regulation as well as under the old regulation the moment he leaves the unit.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 21 August 2011, 17:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Go crucify him. Hit him where he lives.
Yay! My specialty...
19 Oct 2017
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules