SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Closed Thread

Old 22 August 2011, 04:17
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
I found a copy of AR 670-1 dated sept 1992

http://coldweatherclothing.info/ref/...1992-09-01.pdf

Section 3-17 clearly states that the beret is organizational headgear.

That means Mr. Oh loses the right to lay claim to the beret under the current regulation as well as under the old regulation the moment he leaves the unit.
This means that he is not authorized to wear it, particularly in civilian clothes. He is in violation of the regulation, and he is in violation of the Stolen Valor Act.
Old 22 August 2011, 07:42
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
This means that he is not authorized to wear it, particularly in civilian clothes. He is in violation of the regulation, and he is in violation of the Stolen Valor Act.
I wear my Beret with the SFA flash on it with civilian clothes, does that mean I'm in violation?
Old 22 August 2011, 08:11
Whatever Sucks the Most

No, sir. You were SF qualified.

It makes all the difference in the world.

The regulation will state that this is permitted for members of the Special Forces Association under certain circumstances, and it will detail the manner in which it is done.
Old 22 August 2011, 08:14
Whatever Sucks the Most

Gentlemen, apparently Oh has issued a statement to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

I have not yet seen it. If it is anything like Oh's comments on his Facebook page, I expect that any "apology" will be hedged and caveated and weak at best.

Continue hitting him on his Facebook page and most importantly on the Facebook page of the Philadelphia Daily News.

Thanks.

Last edited by magician; 24 August 2011 at 10:17.
Old 22 August 2011, 08:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
Gentlemen, apparently Oh has issued a statement to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

I have not yet seen it. If it is anything like Oh's comments on his Facebook page, I expect that any "apology" will be hedged and caveated and weak at best.
Well, it appears that the Inquirer hasn't seen fit to publish it yet if he has. This includes both a look at their local politics section and a search of their website.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 22 August 2011, 09:51
Whatever Sucks the Most

You know, they may not consider it worth their time and page space. The Inquirer always considered itself the "snooty" Philly paper.

I have seen no mention of this contretemps on their sites. This appears to be confined to the Philadelphia Daily News, and to a very few other sites, including Facebook pages.

Now, Oh appears to be claiming, "I was a real member of a US Army Special Forces unit, commonly known as Green Berets."

He is also claiming that he did not claim to be a "Green Beret," even though his promotional literature still makes that statement, as does his website.

I pointed out that a "real member" of a US Army Special Forces unit would be SF Qualified. All others are either support, or assigned for training, as was Oh. I also pointed out that a "real member" would never have to resort to the semantical distinction, "I was assigned to a Special Forces unit." While the statement is technically correct, it deliberately makes a false impression.

This guy just will not relent. I suppose that I should not be surprised. He is a lawyer.

I wish that we had a flamethrower to use on him.
Old 22 August 2011, 10:16
True Origin Not Known

The enemy of my enemy . . .

Just a couple of thoughts.

1. The individual running AGAINST him may not yet know about this.

2. Many members on this board seem to have a stiffy for attorneys BUT most states have professional rules for attorneys that spell out the necessary "character and fitness" to practice law in that state. IF someone wanted to go all Slim Pickins on his ass, filing a formal complaint would at the very least create a state record. Yeee Haaaa!

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin

Last edited by Remington Raider; 22 August 2011 at 10:20.
Old 22 August 2011, 13:17
The Sagacious One

He called my office last night asking for assistance in formulating his response. I was not there, but returned his call and left this message....

I informed him that after apologizing to the Special Forces Community, that he had to very clearly state that he was an Infantry Officer assigned to a Special Forces Unit and that he wore the uniform as authorized at the time. Period.

He has not called back.
Old 22 August 2011, 13:19
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Yay! My specialty...

You know, you could have made that sound just a little less GAY!
Old 22 August 2011, 13:40
Been There Done That

For the record....

Been reading thru this thread, wasn't going to comment, far more talented people than my self have adequately addressed this, but then I browsed the philly.com comments and feel the need to state:

I am NOT the Lefty writing those msgs on philly.com. Just my luck someone is using my handle. I get myself in enough trouble, don't need to post the stuff that other Lefty is writing.

Pardon the hijack, we now return to our regularly scheduled rant....
Old 22 August 2011, 16:19
Whatever Sucks the Most

Ed, Oh needs to be careful about using the statement, "I was assigned to a Special Forces unit." The statement is, of course, utterly correct, but it leaves an incorrect impression. It would be better for Oh to state that he was assigned "for training."

I also think that Oh needs to express regret for any impression that he stole the valor of real Special Forces soldiers. He has been photographed wearing a full-flashed Green Beret in civilian clothes, a privilege that he never earned, not even when he was assigned to the unit. He should promise not to do so ever again. Tell him that we will be watching.

Tell Oh that if he finally gets his apology correct, and he does not engage in any lawyerly dodges, that we will vanish as quickly as we arrived. He should probably send his apology to the Daily News. The Inquirer appears to be ignoring him.

Failing that....I just might have to get all "Slim Pickens" on his ass.

Last edited by magician; 24 August 2011 at 10:19.
Old 22 August 2011, 16:21
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Raider View Post
Just a couple of thoughts.

1. The individual running AGAINST him may not yet know about this.

2. Many members on this board seem to have a stiffy for attorneys BUT most states have professional rules for attorneys that spell out the necessary "character and fitness" to practice law in that state. IF someone wanted to go all Slim Pickins on his ass, filing a formal complaint would at the very least create a state record. Yeee Haaaa!
Man, I love the way that you think.

:)
Old 22 August 2011, 19:52
Do I smell chum?

David Oh just registered here. Any chance his probation period might be waived to expedite a discussion with him?
Old 22 August 2011, 19:59
Been There Done That

Let me work on that....
Old 22 August 2011, 20:33
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
David Oh just registered here. Any chance his probation period might be waived to expedite a discussion with him?
Quote:
Let me work on that....
This could become epic.......
Old 22 August 2011, 20:49
Confirmed User

Gentlemen, Mr. Oh is asking via his Facebook page if he could arrange a conference call.
Old 22 August 2011, 20:53
Been There Done That

Magician is in Bangkok and I am in Iraq...

Conference call is too private anyway....
Old 22 August 2011, 20:57
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Gentlemen, Mr. Oh is asking via his Facebook page if he could arrange a conference call.
ussfpa is working on creating a separate thread for Mr. Oh to respond to one or two select SOCNET personnel who have been involved in this to question him and allow for responses without 30 people jumping in at the outset to overwhelm the process. My 2c is that would be the best route so his responses can be seen, as well as thought out, and the questions can be presented line by line by those select individuals.

Given his "information" exists online and that's where it was brought up it seems the route to take is to keep it online so any details can be very prevalent.

Hoping Mr. Oh will take this opportunity to respond to TFG and others who have the pertinent information and the most details about the service history and the history of the Groups at the time.
Old 22 August 2011, 21:43
Quiet Professional

No conference call....It needs to be in a thread. Whether in the open or in the somewhere else...

The only thing that would satisfy me is that he makes public apologies for "Falsely" representing his military experience and qualifications. No mumbo jumbo, no lawyer speak....he KNEW what he was doing an needs to fess up...I've been following this since June...he is a POS and a liar. The apology needs to be in the Philly paper and on a local FOX news channel and the wording of said apology APPROVED by true SF soldiers.

Last edited by snaquebite; 22 August 2011 at 21:55.
Old 22 August 2011, 22:43
In Vino Veritas

Don't want to post in the other specific thread, but WTF is he doing in that thread Writing a book

Our new posting rules