SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 20 October 2011, 12:39
Chicks dig scars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
negative

your information comes from people violating the confidentiality statement that they signed.

PA
Well that explains why I can't get any real info on "Nasty Nick".
Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB
You're an Army dude, aren't you?
Quote:
Must have been my use of big words that gave it away.
Old 20 October 2011, 16:17
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
negative

Read your statement - your information comes from people violating the confidentiality statement that they signed.

He has other options. He can use them.

PA
Understood.
Old 20 October 2011, 17:26
Been There Done That

There are three simple rules to passing SFAS.

1. Do what you are told when you are told to do it.

2. Be a good team member. This is different than a team player. A good team member knows when to follow and when to show leadership. A team player just goes with the flow.

3. Never say "I quit".

You can be in the best shape in the world physically and still not be mentally prepared. No amount of G2 will instill the mental capacity to keep going.
Old 20 October 2011, 18:24
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrdrew View Post
X2, thanks TFG, that is awesome!

I read a lot on the Internet.....
Old 20 January 2012, 12:40

Hey Raider,

I am also training right now for my 18x contract, I leave in May. One thing about rucking that my instructor told me, is try carrying a weight in your hands to simulate the weight of a weapon. I did a 12 mile ruck in under 2:30 with a 55 ruck sack, but with a weight in my hands my time was slower. Also try varying up the terrain, I am stuck on a track which is not realistic at all.

Also for blistering - please feel free (anyone) to comment on this, I hear it is advisable to wear a layer of nylon socks on your feet to help with friction.
Old 20 January 2012, 13:38
Teaching my cat to read..

MCharles-
http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...ight=Foot+Care

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...ight=Foot+Care

"but from what I have read on the Internet, PT programs are like shoes, no one shoe fits everyone" Also applies to foot care.
Old 20 January 2012, 14:38
Authorized Personnel

Just as an FYI the CA National Guard SF unit (19th) has a good basic plan for prepping for SFAS. Google will bring it up.

Also: better for rucking with a weapon than carrying weights in your hand is to find a board or stick or something, weight it to weapon weight and carry it like you'd have to carry a weapon - i.e., both hands.

And to the above poster: Get off the track. If you have to drive to terrain, drive to terrain.

We were on a timed roadmarch once and everyone was doing well. Then the route took us through sand. Everyone did not so well.

Last edited by KidA; 20 January 2012 at 14:58.
Old 24 January 2012, 14:29
My ERB's on SOCNET

Of note...

Upper body strength, oddly enough, should not be discounted. I once knew a SEAL in the 18D course who opined that any operational SOF troop should be able to execute 20 pull-ups, no excuses. Excellent point.

Though Fast-Roping and Rappelling were shooed away from this thread as irrelevant (which they certainly are), it got me thinking along these lines.

It's silly to think you would have to state some of these points, but I feel it is necessary.

There should be a greater emphasis operationally on strength:weight ratio. If you can't haul your own ass ANYWHERE it needs to go, you are a liability.
Old 24 January 2012, 19:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
I once knew a SEAL in the 18D course who opined that any operational SOF troop should be able to execute 20 pull-ups, no excuses
Then there'd be a lot of great guys who never get into SOF because of body fetishism. Not everyone is a 145lb crack addict who can run 5 minute miles and pull his body up a million times because it weighs next to nothing. Being in good enough shape to do things like assault up and down mountain terraces for days on end while under fire is what is important, not to accomplish arbitrary numbers of reps.
19 Oct 2017
Old 24 January 2012, 20:19
Been There Done That

As a 145 pounder there was nothing sweeter than passing the roid boys who spent 6 months rucking 12 miles every other day. Lol Their knees were usually torn up before Day 1, yet would try to run the whole thing. I trained by rucking 24 total miles and hitting Kagney's a few times per week to work on my stamina. Heart, sense of humor and determination are invaluable assets......at SFAS too. :)
Old 24 January 2012, 20:23
Unemployed Stunt Double

These guys are all just trying to scare you. SFAS is no big deal. All you need to do to succeed is do your best...

What's your best?
Old 24 January 2012, 20:53
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Then there'd be a lot of great guys who never get into SOF because of body fetishism. Not everyone is a 145lb crack addict who can run 5 minute miles and pull his body up a million times because it weighs next to nothing. Being in good enough shape to do things like assault up and down mountain terraces for days on end while under fire is what is important, not to accomplish arbitrary numbers of reps.
I read on the Internet about a 200 lb captain addicted to doughnuts that ran 5 minute miles and rucked 12 miles in 1:58. He stated that no matter how good a shape you are in, you will reach a point where your tolerance for pain and heart has to kick in to finish the game. That's what I read, anyway
Old 24 January 2012, 21:53
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
I have to agree. I could rarely do over 12/13 PU but killed the skinny guys on the ruck, could run with them, and then carry them. I won't talk about rope climbing though
Old 24 January 2012, 21:56
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
These guys are all just trying to scare you. SFAS is no big deal. All you need to do to succeed is do your best...

What's your best?
That's what I read on the internet.
Old 24 January 2012, 22:48
Preparing to defend

They are totally right. As you can see from my profile, my discipline is different than theirs, but like they have all said, "All you need to do to succeed is do your best...
".

Just Mind over Matter: You don't mind, and it don't matter.
Old 24 January 2012, 23:15
Been There Done That

Hard feet, a hard mind and give 110% and you will make it.
Old 25 January 2012, 10:25
#AllLionsMatter

Red face No matter what you do...DO NOT BE!

Late
Light
or
LAST!

Stay safe.
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 25 January 2012, 11:42
Been There Done That

A strong mind.......

A strong mind will carry a weak body farther than a strong body will carry a weak mind.
Old 25 January 2012, 12:02
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
A strong mind will carry a weak body farther than a strong body will carry a weak mind.
Well said, Pete well said
Old 25 January 2012, 14:49
Been There Done That

There's a lot of good advice on this thread...but here's my $.02...FWIW

All of the "mind over matter" and Krispy Cream training stories are true, but odds are, your life at SFAS will be much easier and you'll have higher odds of success if you're well trained.

You should ruck 2-3 times a week with progressivley more wieght, with one of those rucks being long - like 18+ miles over rough terrain. On your off days do cross fit things -carry heavy shit (cinder blocks or sandbags), do wind sprints, climb ropes, do agility drills, run obstacle courses. Take one day a week off completely and drink Guiness or some reasonable analog.

Every 2-3 weeks ruck hard 2-3 days in a row so that you don't have recovery time. That's how it goes in selection so you need to get used to putting on that ruck while your feet and back still hurt from the previous day.

Our new posting rules