SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 24 December 2008, 08:06
Been There Done That

Liberty Manor--James Cherry/Kane, Mr. Luddeke, Connie Blaney

Army Hero's Actions Earn A New Honor
By JOYCE McKENZIE
jmckenzie@tampatrib.com
James Cherry's military comrades consider him an American hero.

The retired U.S. Army Special Operations staff sergeant fought in five combat zones during his 1990-96 tenure, incurring several injuries that included a dislocated shoulder and a bullet wound to the chest.

For his many acts of gallantry, Cherry, 39, was awarded the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, Airborne Ranger tabs and the Meritorious Service Medal.

Connie Blaney, one of his civilian companions, also calls Cherry a "hero" and a man still bent on saving the lives of his comrades at home.

It was she who nominated him for the 2008 Hillsborough County Brave Citizen Award. The honor was presented to him Oct. 22 by the county commission.

Cherry's first act of local bravery happened one evening when one of his roommates at Liberty Manor - one of four facilities that houses honorably discharged homeless veterans - complained of chest pains.

Cherry, a former firefighter and paramedic, promptly took the man's blood pressure and, seeing it elevated, called 911.

Another occasion happened while Blaney, Liberty Manor's founder and administrator, was outside chatting with Cherry. He said he smelled smoke and then spotted flames coming from a neighbor's home. Cherry quickly made his way to the house and broke a window to rescue the woman inside.

"He scaled three fences," Blaney said. "It was unbelievable."

Blaney made it her mission to have Cherry's once-estranged children - Kayla, 12, and Zachary, 10 - at the ceremony to witness the caring, courageous side of their father. He suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder, which causes him to sometimes act erratically. And because of his erratic actions, his former wife and children broke off contact.

The disorder has left him with haunting memories of death and starving children, migraine headaches and the inability to sleep at night. As a result, he is incapable of holding a job.

"This was a grand opportunity for his kids to see that James is a great person who, because of his illness, has fallen upon hard times. He's been living for 11 years trying to disguise it, but they are understanding more and more what James has had to live with," said Blaney, who is in the process of having him admitted for treatment at Bay Pines VA Medical Center in Pinellas County.

Cherry, the associate director at Liberty Manor, is grateful to Blaney for saving his life at a time when he contemplated suicide.

"There is nothing that has been invented to describe the thanks and the love we have for Connie," he said. "For me to repay her, I'd redo my time in the military."

http://northeast2.tbo.com/content/20...ew-honor/news/
Old 24 December 2008, 09:48
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:

The retired U.S. Army Special Operations staff sergeant fought in five combat zones during his 1990-96 tenure, incurring several injuries that included a dislocated shoulder and a bullet wound to the chest.

For his many acts of gallantry, Cherry, 39, was awarded the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, Airborne Ranger tabs and the Meritorious Service Medal.
I hope the sound of these paragraphs is because the reporter is an idiot, but it sure has my "spidey-sense" tingling...
Old 24 December 2008, 10:23
Been There Done That

[QUOTE=trident86;1083692]Army Hero's Actions Earn A New Honor
By JOYCE McKENZIE
jmckenzie@tampatrib.com
James Cherry's military comrades consider him an American hero.

The retired U.S. Army Special Operations staff sergeant fought in five combat zones during his 1990-96 tenure,

so he was in Panama, first gulf war, somalia, haiti, wonder what unit he was in too hit all of those and I am sorry having a CRS day what was the fifth?
Old 24 December 2008, 10:45
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Well if he is a "retired" Soldier, after a total of 6 years service, then he is already in the VA's system -- obviously he was medically retired, no? Surely the good people of the Pinellas County VA center will pull up his records and agree that SSgt Cherry has indeed been exposed to such horrible events.

Or maybe they won't find that evidence.

6 years service, of which a bare min of 9-12 months of the most basic training (somewhere in here, you have to put about 3 months to the side for RS) took a chunk out of, and he still managed to make it to 5 combat locations? Right....
Old 24 December 2008, 16:01
Confirmed User

Like the rest I am calling BS... With everyone on the board, we have not had one person in all the conflicts... So how does this hero do it???

I am watching.

RO!!!
Old 24 December 2008, 17:44
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapig173 View Post
so he was in Panama, first gulf war, somalia, haiti, wonder what unit he was in too hit all of those and I am sorry having a CRS day what was the fifth?
Bosnia?
Old 24 December 2008, 18:25
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Another occasion happened while Blaney, Liberty Manor's founder and administrator, was outside chatting with Cherry. He said he smelled smoke and then spotted flames coming from a neighbor's home. Cherry quickly made his way to the house and broke a window to rescue the woman inside.
Did they determine the cause of the fire?
Old 24 December 2008, 21:18
BT,WBTWC

The source reports the full name as:

James Craig Cherry

If that helps
Old 24 December 2008, 21:37
Old Scroll

LOL I was in Bosnia when it first kicked off with TF Eagle, and can't even begin to call it "combat"

Hazardous movement / obstacle course due to minefields, yes.

Combat..... no way. The only shots I ever heard were on Christmas eve and New Year's.

Carried an M60 w/ spare barrel and a case o' blammo in the Hummer at all times, but never had cause to lock / load on anybody...... not even on that one fucker who gave me some rotten Slivovic....

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 24 December 2008, 21:51
BT,WBTWC

Quote:
RIVERVIEW - A small crowd gathered at the Pioneer Tire and Auto Center recently to celebrate a good deed that will go a long way toward helping homeless veterans. ...

The car, a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass, will give the vets more freedom to travel to important destinations, including the James A. Haley Veterans Hospital.

Barr said he and the rest of the Pioneer auto family were glad to point Pinckard in the vets' direction.
"We were happy to do it," he said. "These guys deserve much more from us."
James Craig Cherry, a veteran who still feels the pain of gunshot wounds he suffered while serving in Haiti, is required as associate director of Liberty Manor to run errands for all three properties. He has become the Oldsmobile's designated driver.
He "has an impeccable driving record, for he drove a five-star general around when he served as an Army Ranger," Blaney said.

Cherry said the car is a real time saver. "I used to have to wait around for Connie. Now I can respond immediately to emergencies," he said.
"For Connie, it meant a tremendous relief from constant running,"

On Oct. 22, veteran James Cherry, associate director of Liberty Manor for Veterans, was awarded the 2008 Hillsborough County Brave Citizen Award for having saved two lives during the time he has lived at the facility.
One evening, one of the Liberty Manor residents complained of chest pains. Cherry, who had served years ago as a paramedic at a fire station in Sandy Hill, La., took the man's blood pressure, which he found was elevated.

"His breathing was labored," Cherry said, "and he was in obvious distress, so I called 911. The next day he had triple bypass surgery."
Another time, Cherry smelled smoke and discovered a house on fire. "Before I knew it, I had run through three yards and over four fences. There was a lady inside the house. She was locked in - there were deadbolts on the outsides of the doors," Cherry said.
Others caught up with him, he said, "and we broke in and shoved her through the front window."
Barbara Routen
Correspondent Barbara Routen can be reached at neighbors@ tampabay.rr.com or (813) 657-4531.
But wait, there's more:

As a Ranger he was a driver for a FIVE star general.

The more I Google, the better the story gets.
Old 25 December 2008, 01:20
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

When confronted, these orgs/supporters will first cry foul, since he is specops and surely no one would have the ability to know his background -- classified and all. Then it will turn to indignation at the idea that someone would be pissed because of a little fibbing -- hey, he's obviously hurting, he rates to lie a little....
Old 25 December 2008, 02:00
BTDT

Quote:
He "has an impeccable driving record, for he drove a five-star general around when he served as an Army Ranger," Blaney said.
...hes an excellent driver
five stars...
definately five had five
onetwothreefourFIVE very sparkly
Old 25 December 2008, 06:46
True Origin Not Known

For the record, if I ever have chest pains and trouble breathing I don't want some jackass poser wasting time taking my BP before deciding to call 911. That idiot is gonna kill someone with his shit.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 25 December 2008, 10:08
Confirmed User

Has anyone contacted the reporters?

JA
Old 25 December 2008, 10:56
Killed In Action 10 AUG 2012

Quote:
poser wasting time taking my BP
That alone should have been enough to for the most cherry reporter to pick up the smell of bull shit. "I took his blood pressure" With what genius? The spare cuff and a stethoscope that homeless dudes carry around? Perhaps an electronic sphygmomanometer?
Old 25 December 2008, 12:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAT View Post
Has anyone contacted the reporters?

JA
Well, step one should probably be to validate his Ranger School Graduation Status.

Drove for a 5 star General...what a putz

PA
Old 25 December 2008, 12:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
Well, step one should probably be to validate his Ranger School Graduation Status.

Drove for a 5 star General...what a putz

PA
Do we really think this guy was a School grad???

Just saying he drove for Ike pisses me off.

RO!!!
Old 25 December 2008, 12:46
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAT View Post
Do we really think this guy was a School grad???

Just saying he drove for Ike pisses me off.

RO!!!
How do you know it wasn't Omar?
Old 25 December 2008, 13:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter8654 View Post
That alone should have been enough to for the most cherry reporter to pick up the smell of bull shit. "I took his blood pressure" With what genius? The spare cuff and a stethoscope that homeless dudes carry around? Perhaps an electronic sphygmomanometer?
Hey now! I like THIS VERSION better
During his military career, Cherry earned and was awarded numerous decorations, including the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, the Airborne Ranger tabs and the Meritorious Service Medal. He suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder on his return home and resided at Liberty Manor for Veterans during his treatment. While there, in his first brave act, Cherry used his Ranger training to save the life of another patient in full cardiac arrest.

PA
Old 25 December 2008, 14:24
Retired Paratrooper, 1 ea

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Combat..... no way. The only shots I ever heard were on Christmas eve and New Year's.
Same here, oh, and the clearing barrels

Our new posting rules